x-League the answer to participation problems

9 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

I can’t get on board with this...

A try is scored by placing the ball down over the opponents try line without the ball being touched. Or by touching both feet into the in-goal area before the ball has been touched by a defender

Whats not to get on board it to do with reducing the risk of injury with a narrow in goal area or someone landing on the attacker while scoring.

4 hours ago, Copa said:

Good transition away from contact too.

The trouble with developing leagues and I am going to pick on America as good example of this.

You have no junior development and physically impressive guys but that's a hindrance.

The Rugby League IQ and all around sporting adaptability of US athlete's is horrible at best.

6ft 4 and muscles like pop-eye are no good if you don't know how to throw a pass and where to stand.

You need a way to force people to develop skills over just using brute force.

Other times and Africa and Mexico are good examples of this are playing surfaces are few and far between.

Its just not safe to take people to ground on the playing surfaces that are available to the working class populous.

10 hours ago, TheLegendOfTexEvans said:

The trouble with developing leagues and I am going to pick on America as good example of this.

You have no junior development and physically impressive guys but that's a hindrance.

The Rugby League IQ and all around sporting adaptability of US athlete's is horrible at best.

6ft 4 and muscles like pop-eye are no good if you don't know how to throw a pass and where to stand.

You need a way to force people to develop skills over just using brute force.

Other times and Africa and Mexico are good examples of this are playing surfaces are few and far between.

Its just not safe to take people to ground on the playing surfaces that are available to the working class populous.

Couldn’t agree more

24 minutes ago, Tonka said:

I'm 41, still quite fit but wouldn't want to play full contact any more (old injuries, and just old!) but would definitely play this.

except for the fact I am 42 i would completely agree with this.. quite fancy a run out at this but not that keen on touch/tag

38 minutes ago, RP London said:

except for the fact I am 42 i would completely agree with this.. quite fancy a run out at this but not that keen on touch/tag

I can't imagine being that old...

The problem with touch I find is that there's either a lot of ex-union players who play too deep/pedestrian, but then savvy players/teams make it all about scoots and most tries seem to come from catching the marker out (who has to almost simultaneously tag someone and retreat 5 metres)

2 minutes ago, Tonka said:

The problem with touch I find is that there's either a lot of ex-union players who play too deep/pedestrian, but then savvy players/teams make it all about scoots and most tries seem to come from catching the marker out (who has to almost simultaneously tag someone and retreat 5 metres)

I wish i could remember being as young as you.. 

those are exactly my feelings too.. 

On 19/01/2020 at 17:46, TheLegendOfTexEvans said:

Whats not to get on board it to do with reducing the risk of injury with a narrow in goal area or someone landing on the attacker while scoring.

Just ground the bloody ball for heavens sake. It’s not too much to ask. It’s a fundamental component of point scoring in our sport. Perhaps the defence can create a channel on the 5th tackle for the attacking player to run through unopposed to avoid players from potentially kicking the ball awkwardly into the head of a defender. 

4 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

Just ground the bloody ball for heavens sake. It’s not too much to ask. It’s a fundamental component of point scoring in our sport. Perhaps the defence can create a channel on the 5th tackle for the attacking player to run through unopposed to avoid players from potentially kicking the ball awkwardly into the head of a defender. 

Well you can ground the ball.  Its just an adaption to allow for a limited in-goal area and to promote player safety.

6 hours ago, Tonka said:

It worse than that because they have introduced all these additional rules to the version of touch the game that gets promoted, it has no relation to early variants of Touch Rugby League.

2 hours ago, TheLegendOfTexEvans said:

Seriously??

100%

It was "contag" a hybrid of tag and contact. Formed by supporters of a lot of clubs. At the same time tag rugby wasn't even affiliated with the RFL. 

There were some amazing people involved at the time, one is now associated with Devon Sharks - whilst the other a few years ago was Chairman of Rochdale Hornets.

I believe this group started in 99'. 

2008 RFL Wakefield & District Young Volunteer of the Year

On 20/01/2020 at 15:21, Sports Prophet said:

The problem is that encourages dives, which while not dangerous on their own, can become so when others are rushing in trying to get to grips with them.  They could just ban diving though

21 hours ago, Chris Taylor said:

100%

It was "contag" a hybrid of tag and contact. Formed by supporters of a lot of clubs. At the same time tag rugby wasn't even affiliated with the RFL. 

There were some amazing people involved at the time, one is now associated with Devon Sharks - whilst the other a few years ago was Chairman of Rochdale Hornets.

I believe this group started in 99'. 

I am guessing the Chairman was Mark Wynn back then.  

Archived