x-League the answer to participation problems

4 hours ago, RoverBear said:

I'd love this! I had to retire from full contact at 27, so deemed too young to play masters. Therefore had to stop playing entirely and missed the social aspect of being in a team massively. Hopefully they'll be a team in the London area.

I don't think you would have an issue going to an amateur club and form a team or two to play at a local club because it would come under the RFL insurance.

Stats wise I am told the typical age to quit Rugby is 28, well that's a 7 year gap before even masters.

On 20/01/2020 at 15:21, Sports Prophet said:

Just ground the bloody ball for heavens sake. It’s not too much to ask. It’s a fundamental component of point scoring in our sport. Perhaps the defence can create a channel on the 5th tackle for the attacking player to run through unopposed to avoid players from potentially kicking the ball awkwardly into the head of a defender. 

Yes say it fundamental but surely that only really matters if your making a conversion.

4 hours ago, One F in Wakefield said:

The problem is that encourages dives, which while not dangerous on their own, can become so when others are rushing in trying to get to grips with them.  They could just ban diving though

Having had got seriously hit with an idiot dropping their knees onto my back in the past through clumsy behaviour.

Its a good idea to have the touchdown option plus narrow in goals on 4G pitches have to be considered.

The demographic of this is 16-60 with the possibility of mixed gender, safer playing options need to be available.

Its better than going down the flag/touch route.

6 hours ago, One F in Wakefield said:

The problem is that encourages dives, which while not dangerous on their own, can become so when others are rushing in trying to get to grips with them.  They could just ban diving though

It’s one level up on the danger scale of a feather landing on your head. There is going to be a minor risk at any endeavour your children choose. Grounding the ball is about as minor as they come.

1 hour ago, TheLegendOfTexEvans said:

Yes say it fundamental but surely that only really matters if your making a conversion.

Not just when making a conversion but to actually register four points for your team. No grounding, no try.

10 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

Not just when making a conversion but to actually register four points for your team. No grounding, no try.

I am pretty sure the history of the ground of the Try is it just a "Try for Conversion".

Going out on a limb and going to say the touch down could have come first.

That early version of Football (Rugby) it would not have been important.

Anyone got Tony Colins number?? ?

Having seen x-League I would imagine 99% of all tries are ground anyway because people like to ground the ball.

I have this is an issue of semantics, with a rule that has been included as a duty of care.

10 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

It’s one level up on the danger scale of a feather landing on your head. There is going to be a minor risk at any endeavour your children choose. Grounding the ball is about as minor as they come.

Having and I still do in my mature years box and have played Rugby, the only serious injury in any sport I received came from grounding a ball.  That came from carelessness, rather than any nasty intent.

The issue been people drop their knees into your back as your diving for the try.   

If someone heavy decided to drop their full body weight on you your fairly exposed to a back injury.

As this is RFL endorsed I can completely understand where this thinking comes from.

14 hours ago, TheLegendOfTexEvans said:

Having had got seriously hit with an idiot dropping their knees onto my back in the past through clumsy behaviour.

Its a good idea to have the touchdown option plus narrow in goals on 4G pitches have to be considered.

The demographic of this is 16-60 with the possibility of mixed gender, safer playing options need to be available.

Its better than going down the flag/touch route.

bending down to put the ball down hurt me when i was playing touch... bad back from, guess what, playing rugby

14 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

I dont agree, its rare but the risk for injury is high. Arms outstretched, looking at the try line, not looking at who is coming steaming in to stop you.  Especially if you are playing mixed teams.

Archived