St. Helens game

J Dyson

A rugby game is 80 minutes not 60 minutes and the score board my have flattered us

Yes I'm concerned, but remember we have the smallest budget, the smallest squad, probably the smallest fan base. Favourites to be relegated but the one thing that we have in abundance is faith and belief in our playing squad.

Last 20 mins were really good once they started to tire but for the first 60 we still lacked that intensity that is required especially in the a higher division. Think you can clearly see where Diskin is trying to make improvements as we are continuously looking to spread the ball but so many times in the last two games the pass has been behind the man or hit the ground. With the kicking game we have added some inventiveness with some lovely chips behind which led to Johnson's try and some massive bombs from Charnock which their winger couldn't handle but overall we still look underdone for the start of the season.

Bridge was great after a poor showing last week and Smith did quite well at centre. Fletcher looked very handy for his debut but was clearly knackered by the end of his spell. Igbinedeon played better in the second half but still needs to control himself giving away stupid pens. 

For Saints their no.7 Dodd and 5 Nisbet were quality. Think a lot of their pack looked to work hard but none stood out in terms of quality to come to us this season. Both centres Costello and Simm looked good but both have  either Super League or Championship experience already.

I think we all know the squad is too small at the moment and that the Saints team was made up of youngsters (and Paul Crook !) but we scored 6 tries, were solid in the middle, moved the ball out wide and won 32-12. For a pre season game I think we should just accept it was a good run out and celebrate the result.

1 hour ago, shaw llewellyn said:

I think we all know the squad is too small at the moment and that the Saints team was made up of youngsters (and Paul Crook !) but we scored 6 tries, were solid in the middle, moved the ball out wide and won 32-12. For a pre season game I think we should just accept it was a good run out and celebrate the result.

Well said. As I keep saying to my fellow Rams fans it’s not about the result but it’s the performance that counts,and my god we’ve been in the two previous friendlies but I’m hoping for better things today against the bulls. Just enjoy enjoy your victory.

Yeah, that's surely what preseason games are about. I don't want us to be peaking too soon. Some gradual improvements especially in the second half but as others said a few stray passes went to ground. Once we start in earnest and we get used to one another we'll play some good rugby. 

Defence was good all in all a much better effort. I thought fletcher did well as did bridgey, chewy and charnock 

I assume that none of you are aware of the trouble at Saturday's game with local youths throwing things over the fence (bricks, bottle, length of pipe) during the game and goading the Saints fans? It started off with 2 kids and ended with a gang of about 15. A lot of fans ended up moving behind the try line. Glad that we aren't playing there this season.

Good game for both sides with us having plenty of ball to practice new moves with and new attacking kicks.

1 hour ago, LittleboroRoughyed said:

I assume that none of you are aware of the trouble at Saturday's game with local youths throwing things over the fence (bricks, bottle, length of pipe) during the game and goading the Saints fans? It started off with 2 kids and ended with a gang of about 15. A lot of fans ended up moving behind the try line. Glad that we aren't playing there this season.

Good game for both sides with us having plenty of ball to practice new moves with and new attacking kicks.

Don't forget the bloke that had his tea nicked!! 

Stats-

Abram-2 tackles. one try assist. 8 carries=50m

Kay-2 tackles. 2 misses. 3 tackle busts. 3 clean breaks. 17 carries=104m

Worthington-7 tackles. 4 misses. 4 tackle busts. 2 clean breaks. 9 carries=55m

Smith-14 tackles. 4 misses. 2 offloads. 3 tackle busts. one clean break. one try assist. 13 carries=92m

Johnson-3 tackles. 9 carries=41m

Charnock-13 tackles. 2 misses. 2 offloads. one tackle bust.  one clean break. 2 try assists. 7 carries=26m

Hewitt-5 tackles. one offload. one tackle bust. one try assist. 8 carries=29m

Joy-37 tackles. one offload. 20 carries=165m

Owen-30 tackles. 3 misses.3 carries=20m

Igbinedion-23 tackles. 4 misses. one offload. 5 tackle busts. 10 carries=39m

Langtree-33 tackles. 8 misses. one offload. 3 tackle busts. 13 carries=103m

Bridge-27 tackles. one miss. 6 offloads. 4 tackle busts. one clean break. one try assist. 24 carries=203m

Bent-68 tackles. one miss.one tackle bust.14 carries=83m

subs

Wilkinson-13 tackles. one miss. 6 carries=37m

Brook-one tackle. one offload. one tackle bust. 12 carries=51m

Aaronson-zero tackles. 2 tackle busts. one clean break. 9 carries=73m

Fletcher-25 tackles. one miss. 3 tackle busts. 11 carries=72m

New tackle record for Bent breaking his 67 from the final against Newcastle. He missed the last 10 mins as well. Ridiculous from Joy and Bridge as well whilst Fletcher looks excellent on debut.

Archived