Expanding the game in England

Seems like a big 12-18 months in the development of the game in the north east and primarily in Newcastle.

Can the Newcastle Thunder use the joint springboard of the Magic Weekend and the RLWC 2021 England-Samoa opener to really launch themselves into the consciousness of the north east sports fan?

Could it culminate in Newcastle Thunder clinching promotion into Super League at the end of 2021 or 2022?

I love reading about what’s happening in that friendly part of the world.

Should never have take  Magic Weekend away from Newcastle. Super League should sign a multi year contract with Newcastle United. We should be taken more high profile internationals to st James Park and maybe have something like England Knights v Scotland at Kingston Park

30 minutes ago, Mr Plow said:

Should never have take  Magic Weekend away from Newcastle. Super League should sign a multi year contract with Newcastle United. We should be taken more high profile internationals to st James Park and maybe have something like England Knights v Scotland at Kingston Park

Yes, I’ve been to Anfield many, many times and perhaps on reflection it was never suitable for sitting in its stands for multiple games.  Also the outlying area around the ground isn’t really suited for a Magic Weekend compared to say Cardiff.  

It seems Newcastle has really captured people’s imagination and there is a clear growth plan for the Thunder:

2C501D6D-9B81-492D-8DE6-17F5CAB4F4CB.jpeg

Completely agree that Newcastle is a far better value than Liverpool, but sales there were declining a bit, possibly as it became a bit samey, so it might be good to have it there one year and somewhere else (rotate it about) the next. 

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Completely agree that Newcastle is a far better value than Liverpool, but sales there were declining a bit, possibly as it became a bit samey, so it might be good to have it there one year and somewhere else (rotate it about) the next. 

I think that is the ideal scenario imo: Newcastle, Cardiff, Newcastle, Manchester, Newcastle, Dublin, Newcastle, Liverpool sounds realistic and desirable for the game.

21 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Tbf I wouldn't be against having Magic, or some sort of similar event, in the south. Bristol or London though, not Milton Keynes ?

No it should be Milton Keynes..... You can go to TGI Fridays or Bella Italia near the stadium after the game.... bet they don't have things like that up North

Just now, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

No it should be Milton Keynes..... You can go to TGI Fridays or Bella Italia near the stadium after the game.... bet they don't have things like that up North

Is that Milton Keynes or Stevenage?? 

I suppose up north we have this magical thing called "culture"

30 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Tbf I wouldn't be against having Magic, or some sort of similar event, in the south. Bristol or London though, not Milton Keynes ?

Why not Milton Keynes? The grid system makes it a great place to have a bit of a drive round, I did this drive last time I was there.

Only joking, I don't drive!

image.thumb.png.3185d70b4ae36bc41f72b0523b01a7d7.png

Just now, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Why not Milton Keynes? The grid system makes it a great place to have a bit of a drive round, I did this drive last time I was there.

Only joking, I don't drive!

image.thumb.png.3185d70b4ae36bc41f72b0523b01a7d7.png

I reckon you've just found the most exciting thing to do in Milton Keynes!

15 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I suppose up north we have this magical thing called "culture"

There's a magic ointment called Vagisil that could help...

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

In respect of expanding the game in the UK outside of its natural heartlands, I think Newcastle is about our best chance. Participation figures are decent, Newcastle's crowds are good for the level they are at, have a decent stadium and appear well run from the outside.

We are right to return the Magic Weekend to Newcastle and have 5 games at RLWC in Newcastle and the region. As for Magic Weekend, I think 2 years at Newcastle and every third year as an experiment would be the best approach.

Just now, Tre Cool said:

I genuinely like MK a lot but it would be a terrible place for Magic.  There's no real city centre and nightlife is terrible.

I saw Norwich play there when Wimbledon had just moved there and they played in the National hockey stadium, there was an enormous Wetherspoons and that was about it. 

If it goes out of the heartlands I’d prefer Magic to go to towns where there is at last a L1 team already in existence there, or one who are planning to get to that level quickly - otherwise what is the point of trying to get locals interested if they then don’t have a team to watch. 

Newcastle, Sheffield, Coventry, London - all fit the bill. Liverpool, Cardiff and Bristol don’t. 

3 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I saw Norwich play there when Wimbledon had just moved there and they played in the National hockey stadium, there was an enormous Wetherspoons and that was about it. 

If it goes out of the heartlands I’d prefer Magic to go to towns where there is at last a L1 team already in existence there, or one who are planning to get to that level quickly - otherwise what is the point of trying to get locals interested if they then don’t have a team to watch. 

Newcastle, Sheffield, Coventry, London - all fit the bill. Liverpool, Cardiff and Bristol don’t. 

I'm sold

14 minutes ago, Eddie said:

There's a lot of bars and restaurants but spread over a few different parts of the town quite far apart, and the stadium's in Bletchley not central MK.  It's also not a big enough stadium.

33 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I agree with the idea of there already being a L1 club present so that they can also feature and benefit from the event

Alternatively if there are firm proposals for a team in the near future then magic weekend + Knights could be used as part of a development plan

The other criteria for Magic is that it must be a good weekend away on the non rugby side. Newcastle is but Sheffield & Coventry ??

16 minutes ago, headtackle said:

I agree with the idea of there already being a L1 club present so that they can also feature and benefit from the event

Alternatively if there are firm proposals for a team in the near future then magic weekend + Knights could be used as part of a development plan

The other criteria for Magic is that it must be a good weekend away on the non rugby side. Newcastle is but Sheffield & Coventry ??

You can’t have had a night out in Sheffield if you don’t think it’s good. 

Archived