Prince Harry to stay on as RFL patron

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Damien said:

As I said on the other thread this is great news. He is a good fit for the game and has generated badly needed publicity. He has already done far more than any other patron that I can remember.

Up until now I would have agreed.

Now though I think he is a tainted brand and will (rightly or wrongly) be viewed negatively by the media and large sections of the public - do we need that negative association?

After Megxit there is no way he is going to be coming back to the Uk on a regular basis bar the odd wedding and funeral so cannot see what he is going to do for us. Once he has gone he will be gone

I might be doing him a diservice but suspect that sporting trips home will be Invictus related or to Twickers with his rah rah mates.

Good luck to the lad in his new ventures and homeland. Vancouver looks very nice. We though should be looking elsewhere 

By the media? Like The #### and Piers ######’ Morgan and The Daily Blackshirt? Sod ‘em! 

PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/article/8790/join-team-wales-for-2013

Predictions for the future -

Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG

Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT

Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG

Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/

http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!

http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

34 minutes ago, headtackle said:

Now though I think he is a tainted brand and will (rightly or wrongly) be viewed negatively by the media and large sections of the public - do we need that negative association?

After Megxit there is no way he is going to be coming back to the Uk on a regular basis bar the odd wedding and funeral so cannot see what he is going to do for us. Once he has gone he will be gone

I might be doing him a diservice but suspect that sporting trips home will be Invictus related or to Twickers with his rah rah mates.

Good luck to the lad in his new ventures and homeland. Vancouver looks very nice. We though should be looking elsewhere 

I disagree. Our previous patrons have done nothing for the sport and may as well have not existed. I would much prefer Harry than some token patron like the Queen, who he succeeded.

37 minutes ago, Damien said:

I disagree. Our previous patrons have done nothing for the sport and may as well have not existed. I would much prefer Harry than some token patron like the Queen, who he succeeded.

So from now

1. He will not be in the country much and until the current storm dies off not at all I would suspect

2. Per 1 he will not attend any/many games unless he ventures several thousand miles across Canada to watch the Wolfpack or the Canadian League expands above all expectations

3. If he does come back he will be hounded by the press so promoting rugby league will be the last thing on his mind

4. He is regularly seen at another London sports venue wearing a white shirt with a rose on it thus promoting our sports major competitor.

5.  Rightly or wrongly his circle of "friends" will have diminished so there will not be as many doors that he can open for the game

I am not anti royal at all but In the modern era you have to question whether the game needs to be patronised by a patron anyway but I do think we will not benefit much from his continued patronage. 

I may be wrong and hope to see him chatting with Sonny Bill at a Wolfpack game sometime soon. 

The thing is that, having consorted with a brown, foreign person, even being involved with RL will be seen as a lesser crime by the tabloid/online hate-mongers.

So, what's to lose? Making weirdo sociopaths like the Mail, the Express, Piers "phone hacker" Moron and Katie "bankrupt again" Hopkins pretend to be angry should be a badge of honour.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

9 hours ago, Copa said:

I thought the “Prince” is being dropped and he’ll be plain old Harry from now on. Did I get that wrong?

Dropping the HRH part.

Day to day he's known as the Duke of Sussex.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Just now, NOS4A2 said:

Or as granny calls him, that ungrateful little ginger t-sser 

"We never liked your mum and made you walk behind her coffin, why are you so angry?"

Ah well. Not a fan of any of them. But if we have to have a Patron, it might as well be one that people are going to notice.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

According to Community Southwark, "Patrons are generally non-members. They tend to be someone who agrees to lend their name to your organisation as a way of supporting you, usually because they are well known and able to get media coverage for your organisation and/or bring in donations."

By the way, who heard Ralph Rimmer on Radio Five Live this morning saying (and I paraphrase) that Prince Harry is Patron and that the Canadian -Toronto link might be used?

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

Dropping the HRH part.

Day to day he's known as the Duke of Sussex.

I think I need a day to day title also...

His royal majesty of the divine deliverance of Canberra.

Something casual.

2 hours ago, Copa said:

I think I need a day to day title also...

His royal majesty of the divine deliverance of Canberra.

Something casual.

I thought you already were using a day to day title... Canberra's Online Posting Authority... 

better than King Usurper of the Northern Territories... that could get difficult

22 hours ago, headtackle said:

I don't keep up with the Royal Soap Opera but didn't he want to spend six months in Canada and six months here? 

Has that changed 

• 1 year later...

I'm no royalist but I think Harry has been good for the game and has got it publicity. He also seems to be genuinely interested which I don't particularly recall being the case for other patrons. I cant say I recall the Queen ever doing anything previously. If he is sacked of his patron roles then there is no reason he couldn't still be patron if he desired. In some ways it would be quite fitting for the sport.

2 minutes ago, Damien said:

I'm no royalist but I think Harry has been good for the game and has got it publicity. He also seems to be genuinely interested which I don't particularly recall being the case for other patrons. I cant say I recall the Queen ever doing anything previously. If he is sacked of his patron roles then there is no reason he couldn't still be patron if he desired. In some ways it would be quite fitting for the sport.

If we wanted to be a bit cynical about it and generate as much media attention as possible we would immediately re-appoint him as a non-royal patron. Doubt he'd be up for it though given the ructions it would cause. 

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

Until someone spots the bloke flogging matchday programmes on a wet Sunday afternoon up at Batley he'll still get stick.

Just coz he's loaded doesn't make him a bad person.

Compared to some of the cardboard cut outs who tend to be given the 'patron role' in sport he appears a decent chap with an honest interest and a willingness to help.

I'd say cut him some slack.

Archived