Prince Harry to stay on as RFL patron

I will be honest, I have no idea what he does, what he’s meant to do or what the patron role entails but the activities of him/the role aren’t going to be aimed at me anyway. 

If his presence gets Rugby League a few more column inches at the front end of a newspaper and away from the postage stamp sized spots we get at the back end, it can only be seen as a positive. 

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He got us some publicity (although so does Adam Hills) but this is the right thing given all that's going on around him. Kinda feels symbolic of RL 😬 Question is - who will/should replace him, assuming that bloke from Batley isn't free. Hope it could be someone truly inspiring and committed to the game. Nice if it wasn't a white bloke again too.

I'd forgotten he was RL patron... comments suggest he has been a good patron for our sport but I can't recall anything... I guess whatever he did wasn't sufficient to be sustained in my memory banks. I guess they need re-charging or I've been to busy to notice. 

5 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Get him to present the world cup

just not the rugby league one - can't think of anyone less detached from the game than him to be patron -he "says nothing to me about my life" 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

5 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Could we bin off Harry and get Meghan Markle? She can place her medals around my neck any day of the week.

That would definitely see the sport elevated to the front pages of The Mail and The Express. Unfortunately, the spume flecked headlines would be something like

"Feckless Yank Parasite Sponges Way Into Event For Simple Northern Folk While Lovely, Lovely Kate Knits Puppies For Orphans"

Still, any publicity...

28 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

just not the rugby league one - can't think of anyone less detached from the game than him to be patron -he "says nothing to me about my life" 

By all means have a random bloke from the pub over the road from Old Trafford present it then

31 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

Me neither. Anyone who's read my drivel on here and elsewhere knows my republican views.....

But the sport could hardly get a more high profile person as patron regardless of whether I think the monarchy should be voided from tonight.

Royals have been conspicuous by their absence, Harry has been far better than all the other put together.

Now that he's being demoted once again it was bound to raise questions about him continuing.

But another sport would look at the Marketing possiblities between a Rebel Rugby & a Rebel Royal.

Knowing RL it will be more a case of an absentee landlord and MIA comercial efforts.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

1 hour ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

He's not a rebel, he's a disgrace.

Why?

"At times to be silent is to lie. You will win because you have enough brute force. But you will not convince. For to convince you need to persuade. And in order to persuade you would need what you lack: Reason and Right."

6 hours ago, EssexRL said:

He got us some publicity (although so does Adam Hills) but this is the right thing given all that's going on around him. Kinda feels symbolic of RL 😬 Question is - who will/should replace him, assuming that bloke from Batley isn't free. Hope it could be someone truly inspiring and committed to the game. Nice if it wasn't a white bloke again too.

What’s wrong with white blokes? 

42 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I bet he mentions his life long love of the greatest game in his Oprah interview . May even invite her to a game and have a chat about how SL will go this year

She’s an avid Cas fan apparently, I assume that will be the main chunk of the interview. 

58 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

By all means have a random bloke from the pub over the road from Old Trafford present it then

i would rather have a "random bloke" as you put it (putting people in order of some sort of importance like you are) for example a "bloke" who has been a season ticket holder at batley for 50 years or a "bloke" who has devoted hundreds upon hundreds of hours for free to train  youngsters in the amateur game - give me "random bloke" above the duke of rah rah everyday 

1 hour ago, graveyard johnny said:

i would rather have a "random bloke" as you put it (putting people in order of some sort of importance like you are) for example a "bloke" who has been a season ticket holder at batley for 50 years or a "bloke" who has devoted hundreds upon hundreds of hours for free to train  youngsters in the amateur game - give me "random bloke" above the duke of rah rah everyday 

That is very sweet of you

7 minutes ago, Oxford said:

"As I-I walk through this world
Nothing can stop The Duke of Earl
And-a you, you are my girl
And no one can hurt you, oh no....... "

one of the most under rated songs ever recorded - gene chandler

5 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

Just imagine if we got Arry and “James Hewitt” presenting the RL World Cup to the England captain in a trial run just before the Aussies come over and win it. 

6 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

Or Rob Burrow... he gets my vote!

Archived