Prince Harry to stay on as RFL patron

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’m totally mystified why much of the population has a problem with an American woman of colour, who isn’t totally silent like a traditional wife would be, being married to Harry. It’s a total mystery...  

FFS. She’s just this years target for the gammon. Back into our own world, it’s a shame we’re losing Harry, felt like his heart was in the right place 

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

6 hours ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

I’m totally mystified why much of the population has a problem with an American woman of colour, who isn’t totally silent like a traditional wife would be, being married to Harry. It’s a total mystery...  

FFS. She’s just this years target for the gammon. Back into our own world, it’s a shame we’re losing Harry, felt like his heart was in the right place 

"Come back here so we can abuse you some more" seems to be the entire rallying cry now.

It really says a lot about the people contorting their faces in hate - whilst, obviously, having legitimate concerns about ... I don't know what this time ... is it royal integrity? actresses? the right of the press to print entirely private material because someone once did a photoshoot?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

56 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

"Come back here so we can abuse you some more" seems to be the entire rallying cry now.

It really says a lot about the people contorting their faces in hate - whilst, obviously, having legitimate concerns about ... I don't know what this time ... is it royal integrity? actresses? the right of the press to print entirely private material because someone once did a photoshoot?

I don't know the bloke. I haven't a clue what he's like as a bloke or what makes him tick. If I'm honest, I really don't care.

I have issues with the monarchy. His 'status' in this world is directly attributable to that system he has now turned his back on. 

Again, I'm rather indifferent to that as I am sporting patronages to be honest.

He's in the USA with his missus now. He's no longer RL's patron. I'm that indifferent moving is not an issue for me.

12 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

Practically nobody wants them to come back, for abuse or otherwise. They’ve gone, great, less freeloaders. Let’s hope they stay gone. 

Most people I know don't care one way or the other, I have not heard a single conversation on the subject. 

37 minutes ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

I have not heard a single conversation on the subject. 

Do you have your TV on permanent mute?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

45 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

I don't know the bloke. I haven't a clue what he's like as a bloke or what makes him tick. If I'm honest, I really don't care.

I have issues with the monarchy. His 'status' in this world is directly attributable to that system he has now turned his back on. 

Again, I'm rather indifferent to that as I am sporting patronages to be honest.

He's in the USA with his missus now. He's no longer RL's patron. I'm that indifferent moving is not an issue for me.

I don't much care who the RFL Patron is. Harry seemed to be good for us but it's not exactly going to make any difference in the overall scheme of things. As for what he's like as a person, no idea. I'd abolish the Royal Family tomorrow and take every appointed Lord with them.

I am not a fan of the monarchy but it is the institution rather than the people.

Every time I have seen Harry interviewed or seen some of the initiatives he has set up he seems like a genuinely decent bloke.

One thing is for sure, this guy will continue to make headlines and everything he is associated with will get media attention and so with that view it is a pity to see him go... his presence at the World Cup draw for example raised the profile of that occasion massively. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

4 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Sadly, from my perspective at least, it won't happen in our lifetime.

Aye, there's no chance.

Even amongst the people who get angriest about them taking the mick there's no desire to change it because they get *even angrier* about the idea of President Blair (or whatevs).

8 hours ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

It's nothing to do with gammon as you call it.  It's to do with the cult of personality.  The need for the media and its readers to set up Aunt Sallies.  Plus in the internet age the need for the easy creation personality and the easy shallow criticism.

Harry and wife were set up by this group and they make a living out of knocking the down.

You have to be thick skinned to be in the public domain.  But if all they do is nothing, the media and the fish that feed off it will still look to profit off them.  They exist, so the profiteers will not let them go away.

None if which has got to do with RL... they are now effectively private people and we need a new 'leader'.

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

Aye, there's no chance.

Even amongst the people who get angriest about them taking the mick there's no desire to change it because they get *even angrier* about the idea of President Blair (or whatevs).

There's nothing scary about Boris being Head of Government and Head of State. If anything, it would only improve our standing in the world.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

11 hours ago, Johnoco said:

Obviously not rich enough though. Being rich isn’t enough for some though, look at the list of billionaires still desperate for attention.

Yes, you only have to read this forum to be able to categorise them.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

58 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Returning to Rugby League.... 

1. What is the role of the Patron? 

2. Who has held this position previously? 

3.What were the achievements of previous Patrons? 

I don't know any of these John, but I'm willing to put money on the answers being interesting and probably even more telling is, how often did they turn up?

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

1 hour ago, Johnoco said:

I'm unaware of any billionaires on here but if so, they should step forward and buy Odsal. 

Not for sale,big revamp going on just now and big investment keeping it safe until at least 2046. am told wakey grounds handy money thou as a do it up n flip jobby.

Edited highlight of JohnM’s link:

‘It is now understood the RFL is hoping Prince William will be given the role of patron as a way of ensuring the sport maintains a high profile at a time when the World Cup is being hosted by the nation (and region) that gave birth to the sport.

‘A source close to senior figures at the RFL told The Telegraph: “The World Cup is going to take place in the north of England, which is very significant at this time and very important for the royal household to acknowledge and get behind, particularly as it will be happening in many towns where major events are not usually held, such as St Helens, Doncaster and Hull.”

‘Prince William is thought to be a good match for the role of RFL patron. He worked with the league’s current chair, Simon Johnson, when Mr Johnson was director of corporate affairs and chief operating officer at the Football Association, where the Duke has held the role of president since 2006.

‘The profile of rugby league has grown in recent years, with hopes being raised that England will perform well at the World Cup. Public attention has also been drawn to the sport through the fight of former Leeds Rhinos scrum-half Rob Burrow against motor neurone disease.

‘His teammate Kevin Sinfield raised more than £2.7 million to fund the work of the  Motor Neurone Disease Association by running seven marathons in seven days last December.’

Archived