Best song ever.

Best song ever. As a kid I loved it for the choon, the Andy Capp stuff, it was filmed a stone's throw away & the fact that Corriene Russell was in the video*.

Now I love it for the boys' lament about Bon Scott.

*Corriene Rusell bit is still cool, tho'.

"Australia is a spoiled nation. They can expect my revenge. I'm not crazy when I say this, they are the crazy ones who give you hot sausages before the match when it's 40 degrees celsius outside."

--------------------------

"Shifty Matty Petersen trying to get in there with a little five-fingered discount." Franklin Field, Philadelphia, 30/11/2004

FourthThird Second Best Statement Ever: Student Ram 02/06/2004 (Without a trace of irony): "... because, when you think about it, really... Wakefield is kind of the centre of the universe. You know, both ways, you've got..."

Followed by a half a minute justification of this point of view.

Love Angus pointing and laughing at Brian Johnson when he comes out of the chemist's and Brian dropping the Lucozade but 'best song ever'? I don't think it's the best song on Back In Black even.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

15 hours ago, Cas Vegas said:
Best song ever. As a kid I loved it for the choon, the Andy Capp stuff, it was filmed a stone's throw away & the fact that Corriene Russell was in the video*.

Now I love it for the boys' lament about Bon Scott.

*Corriene Rusell bit is still cool, tho'.

i remember you singing tears of a clown here and parksider got upset

so im saying that one

2 hours ago, aj1908 said:

i remember you singing tears of a clown here and parksider got upset

so im saying that one

Ha! I like that Dally. ?

He used to get so cross with me. ?

"Australia is a spoiled nation. They can expect my revenge. I'm not crazy when I say this, they are the crazy ones who give you hot sausages before the match when it's 40 degrees celsius outside."

"Shifty Matty Petersen trying to get in there with a little five-fingered discount." Franklin Field, Philadelphia, 30/11/2004

FourthThird Second Best Statement Ever: Student Ram 02/06/2004 (Without a trace of irony): "... because, when you think about it, really... Wakefield is kind of the centre of the universe. You know, both ways, you've got..."

17 hours ago, Ullman said:

Love Angus pointing and laughing at Brian Johnson when he comes out of the chemist's and Brian dropping the Lucozade but 'best song ever'? I don't think it's the best song on Back In Black even.

This post started excellently, Ullman. I'm not sure it ended too well, tho' ?

WISH YOU WHERE HEAR, PINK FLOYD.because i am a floyd fan, but i have always thought "the living years" by mike and the mechanics was just about perfect.

Through the fish-eyed lens of tear stained eyes
I can barely define the shape of this moment in time(roger waters)

On 19/01/2020 at 20:30, Ullman said:

I agree. You Shook Me and the title track are great songs but for me Hells Bells is the best track on the album.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

3 hours ago, Clogiron said:

Or howabout Johnnie Allen's Promised Land?

Takes something pretty special to top a Chuck Berry original - although it's Belton Richard's accordion that makes this cover so great.

28 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

Are you the guy responsible for doing those ‘Classic Driving Anthems’ albums we see? ?

lol ill have to google that too to see if thats similar to here

put it this way, when i do my playlist on the gym music box thing a lot of people arent happy!

anytime sweet child o mine comes on i get blamed even though theres 2 other people of similar ilk

and i used to have a RHCP tat on one shoulder and a superman tat (as per jon bj) on the other.  wonder why i never got a proper girl ?

13 hours ago, JonM said:

Takes something pretty special to top a Chuck Berry original - although it's Belton Richard's accordion that makes this cover so great.

I think Berry's vastly underrated in the history of music, he produced more 3 min slices of of greatness than any other solo artist, live you got 45 mins with a pickup band and that was it, cash in hand, goodbye, a legacy of his earlier treatment by promoter's. If he was in the mood the 45 min was bl**dy brilliant tho?

1 hour ago, Clogiron said:

I think Berry's vastly underrated in the history of music, he produced more 3 min slices of of greatness than any other solo artist, live you got 45 mins with a pickup band and that was it, cash in hand, goodbye, a legacy of his earlier treatment by promoter's. If he was in the mood the 45 min was bl**dy brilliant tho?

I've had the Johnny Allen version on a few times this morning, it really is something special. Not being old enough to have heard it when it first came out, I first heard it on this compilation that Charlie Gillett put out in 1990.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Another-Saturday-Night-Various-Artists/dp/B0000009G5

I must have listened to "Promised Land" many hundreds of times in my life, and only today noticed that Chuck Berry had based the tune on the American folk standard "Wabash Cannonball." Mind you, it also took me quite a few years to spot that the Beach Boys had nicked Surfin' Usa off Chuck Berry.

Not sure you can say he was vastly underrated - off the top of my head, Lennon & McCartney both called him the greatest, as did Bruce Springsteen

4 hours ago, JonM said:

I've had the Johnny Allen version on a few times this morning, it really is something special. Not being old enough to have heard it when it first came out, I first heard it on this compilation that Charlie Gillett put out in 1990.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Another-Saturday-Night-Various-Artists/dp/B0000009G5

I must have listened to "Promised Land" many hundreds of times in my life, and only today noticed that Chuck Berry had based the tune on the American folk standard "Wabash Cannonball." Mind you, it also took me quite a few years to spot that the Beach Boys had nicked Surfin' Usa off Chuck Berry.

Not sure you can say he was vastly underrated - off the top of my head, Lennon & McCartney both called him the greatest, as did Bruce Springsteen

Allen recorded it in 1971, I first heard it on a Johnny Walker show around then, think it was put out as a single soon after that.

Among the dozens of Chuck Berry compliations released was one in the late 70s called 'Motorvatin' it's honestly one of the best record's ever released, every track is pure rock class. I have my original LP copy but alas no CD has been put out.

I know lot's of people have paid homage to Berry but to the general public at large if they have herd of him it would be my ding a ling they would remember, such is life?

Archived