McDermott: Give us some salary cap leeway

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, TIWIT said:

The game will be lucky to keep the one Argyle the way it acts towards him and his dream.

A lot his dreams don't seem to come true though. Remember the talk of home games in Barcelona, Copenhagen, Dublin and Nice during the cold weather in Canada.

Seems the double header with Saracens is now in doubt. 

3 minutes ago, Cake Tiger said:

A lot his dreams don't seem to come true though. Remember the talk of home games in Barcelona, Copenhagen, Dublin and Nice during the cold weather in Canada.

Given the current state of Saracens should this be a surprise?

The others I see as just public musings.

Lee way as in no way.

Sbw who next!!!

'Shaw cross juniors, Birkenshaw, Mirfield, Heckmondwike Panthers, Stainland Stags and then the Heavy woolen donkeys... WARDY, STOZZA, GT, KARL OR KEAR MUST OF DROPPED A DIGIT FROM MY MOBILE NUMBER! :clapping:

8 minutes ago, Cake Tiger said:

How very Rugby league of you, to run someone down for having some positive ideas. 

"Raise The Cap!"

"My God...a light..expansion in NA...the door is open much more than a crack now...reach out and touch it...right there !

What people have dreamed about for so long..its finally within our grasp!"

"What?"

"Who just turned off the lights?"

-foolish boys, just raise the cap...or give Toronto a bit of special dispensation...its nothing in the grand scheme of things.

11 minutes ago, Eddie said:

How very Rugby league of you, to run someone down for having some positive ideas. 

Sometimes, there is a fine line between ideas and bull excrement. 

Anyone can come out with flights of fancy to try and impress people. I tend to be impressed when they do things, not just talk about them. 

6 minutes ago, Cake Tiger said:

Anyone can come out with flights of fancy to try and impress people. I tend to be impressed when they do things, not just talk about them. 

As in 'money talks, bulls... walks.'

I think David Argyle's money has amply spoken for him.

15 minutes ago, Cake Tiger said:

Do things, like set up a RL team in a new country and take them to SL in three years? I’m fairly indifferent about TWP but to say Argyle just talks about stuff and doesn’t do it is a bit silly. 

3 hours ago, Cake Tiger said:

As Eddie pointed out TWP have gone from nothing to SL in 3 years; they have generated more column inches/social media and discussion amongst RL and non-RL followers than all of the other SL clubs combined; the owner has pumped in $21m and they signed arguably the most recognised rugby player on the planet.  

So I assume all that hasn’t impressed you?  Unlike Cas who have given out bull excrement for many years about moving to a new ground.  I know as I am a Cas supporter.

It comes down to a simple question ‘What is the best for RL in the long term’.  Is it seeing TWP as a possible catalyst that may open greater opportunities for the game at a national and NH level, or, do we flatly deny TWP any wriggle-room and see how it goes.

I can understand the jealousy that TWP have caused because their owner has more money than any other owner, especially Cas, but I do not want to see decisions taken at a strategic level to be based on jealousy.

18 minutes ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

As Eddie pointed out TWP have gone from nothing to SL in 3 years; they have generated more column inches/social media and discussion amongst RL and non-RL followers than all of the other SL clubs combined; the owner has pumped in $21m and they signed arguably the most recognised rugby player on the planet.  

So I assume all that hasn’t impressed you?  Unlike Cas who have given out bull excrement for many years about moving to a new ground.  I know as I am a Cas supporter.

It comes down to a simple question ‘What is the best for RL in the long term’.  Is it seeing TWP as a possible catalyst that may open greater opportunities for the game at a national and NH level, or, do we flatly deny TWP any wriggle-room and see how it goes.

I can understand the jealousy that TWP have caused because their owner has more money than any other owner, especially Cas, but I do not want to see decisions taken at a strategic level to be based on jealousy.

Bang on.

I don't think RFL/SL really knows where to go next. Sad.

To TIWIT, Kayakman, Adelaide Tiger, and all others who think of TWP in a positive light.   I'd strongly suggest you stay totally clear of this thread and leave it 100% to the negative towards TWP idiots.   They can party-hearty with it until it fizzles out.  If you stick with it....the thread that is......you won't win and stress yourselves out.   My advice FWIW.  I ain't opening this one again.

9 minutes ago, SL17 said:

Nothing to do with the RFL.. 

Toronto are SL’s issue.

TWP are currently playing in Super League. If they are relegated at the end of the season then they will be playing in RFL's Championship. And neither can decide if they want to make them welcome or want them to go away.

5 hours ago, NOS4A2 said:

My take on Toronto is that they knew the rules when they joined, some of which were changed/amended to assist them and they have arrived at the big table hideously understaffed. As a result, they want to be able to buy their way out of this "corner", the same way that they bough the shields they won to date with squads vastly more experienced and expensive than their opponents.

Sorry. But if they want to have the rules bent some more, then they need to deliver before that happens, because there's not a chance in hell that the 10 UK owners will allow them to buy their safety on the "promise" of future riches.

Mac was always a staunch supporter of London development. It seems he's been hanging around "kwik-fix_Nobby" for too long and would now rather buy success. We are not soccer....the game can't afford it unless we find another 10 Argyles.

50 minutes ago, SL17 said:

Money takes you to SL!

What's the problem with spending money? I mean we all do it everyday and so do the chairmen of every other super league club.

Why continually point out Twp and Argyle?

52 minutes ago, Cameron Highlander said:

To TIWIT, Kayakman, Adelaide Tiger, and all others who think of TWP in a positive light.   I'd strongly suggest you stay totally clear of this thread and leave it 100% to the negative towards TWP idiots.   They can party-hearty with it until it fizzles out.  If you stick with it....the thread that is......you won't win and stress yourselves out.   My advice FWIW.  I ain't opening this one again.

But how else are they gonna learn?

Besides, as you know by now, EVERY thread will eventually turn into a TWP discussion. Can't let the nay-Sayers think they're winning.

13 minutes ago, Omott91 said:

What's the problem with spending money? I mean we all do it everyday and so do the chairmen of every other super league club.

Why continually point out Twp and Argyle?

Jealousy, pure and simple jealousy.

1 hour ago, TIWIT said:

Bang on.

I don't think RFL/SL really knows where to go next. Sad.

Of course they don't.  The likes of Toronto and New York mix with the small time traditional clubs about as well as oil mixes with water, and the track record of the RFL/SL is that when a decision has to be made they always look after the small time traditional clubs whatever the cost may be.

23 minutes ago, SL17 said:

Money takes you to SL!

Yes it can as proved by TWP.

The game has never been in such a good position to be more attractive to new club entities and investors in existing clubs.  But the Achilles heel for RL that there is only one promotion spot that may deter investors who want their club to be playing at the highest possible level but have to compete with a similar SC against relegated clubs that might stay full time or a number of other new or existing clubs with new investors.

IMHO the game needs a more innovative approach that welcomes new investors and protects existing full time clubs giving them the opportunity to grow without fear of relegation.

My suggestion would be a move back to a licensing system for 14 clubs initially and every two or three years it would increase by 2 clubs until it reached a 20 team competition.

This would give a new team, or an existing CL1 or Championship team 2 or 3 years to develop the infrastructure of a club before submitting their application.

Once we 20 teams - after 6 to 9 years of licensing - we could then split into 2 leagues of ten and again every two or three years a team could be added to each league.

If you synch the TV deals with the Licensing cycle then it may lead to greater revenue as everyone can see how the game is developing.

I have put my head above the parapet so I am prepared to be shot at!

2 minutes ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

Yes it can as proved by TWP.

The game has never been in such a good position to be more attractive to new club entities and investors in existing clubs.  But the Achilles heel for RL that there is only one promotion spot that may deter investors who want their club to be playing at the highest possible level but have to compete with a similar SC against relegated clubs that might stay full time or a number of other new or existing clubs with new investors.

IMHO the game needs a more innovative approach that welcomes new investors and protects existing full time clubs giving them the opportunity to grow without fear of relegation.

My suggestion would be a move back to a licensing system for 14 clubs initially and every two or three years it would increase by 2 clubs until it reached a 20 team competition.

This would give a new team, or an existing CL1 or Championship team 2 or 3 years to develop the infrastructure of a club before submitting their application.

Once we 20 teams - after 6 to 9 years of licensing - we could then split into 2 leagues of ten and again every two or three years a team could be added to each league.

If you synch the TV deals with the Licensing cycle then it may lead to greater revenue as everyone can see how the game is developing.

I have put my head above the parapet so I am prepared to be shot at!

To be honest I've always thought that RL in the northern hemisphere at least is a relatively cheap gig for any budding millionaire. Max circa £2 million a season (unless you want to sign marquee's etc) investment into the playing squad and maybe 1 million more for renting facilities and off field staff etc. Millionaires waste far more on far less and that's before they take into account revenues from tickets, merch and sponsorships for example.

I do think once we reach a stage where over half the championship is fully professional (or at least nearly professional), there may be an argument for a reshuffling of the league structure, but we aren't there yet. 

5 minutes ago, SL17 said:

It is I agree. Should licensing be introduced again would see an end to them.

Or would they give dispensation?

The SL (chairmen) have consistently shown willingness to give dispensation to various aspects so long as they are not either financially affected or are in a position to gain extra money (a la Bradford's central funding).

39 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

To be honest I've always thought that RL in the northern hemisphere at least is a relatively cheap gig for any budding millionaire. Max circa £2 million a season (unless you want to sign marquee's etc) investment into the playing squad and maybe 1 million more for renting facilities and off field staff etc. Millionaires waste far more on far less and that's before they take into account revenues from tickets, merch and sponsorships for example.

I do think once we reach a stage where over half the championship is fully professional (or at least nearly professional), there may be an argument for a reshuffling of the league structure, but we aren't there yet. 

You might want to double your estimate of the Max cost.  The Wolfpack spent 21 million C$ during their first three seasons which is 12 million £, or an average of 4 million £ per season.

11 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

You might want to double your estimate of the Max cost.  The Wolfpack spent 21 million C$ during their first three seasons which is 12 million £, or an average of 4 million £ per season.

In fairness they were having to travel transatlantic and their main sponsors were paying them "in kind" with flights. 

Regardless I put it at max 2 mill for the squad (unless you wanted to used marquees) and circa 1 mill for everything else, so I'm not far off.

43 minutes ago, NOS4A2 said:

Argyle can spend his money how he sees fit, but to fork out a reported £2,500,000 a year on one player and then ask TO SPEND MORE over and above the current rules because his current squad isn't adequate is certainly worth pointing out.

They have not forked out that much on the cap though. Once they pay a marquee player over the £150,000 threshold then the final amount is irrelevant.

Archived