Catalans push forward for last-gasp TV deal

1 hour ago, aj1908 said:

i agree

but to be fair les catalans have been screened for a while now and it hasnt caught on?

super league needs someone with connections in french tv to see what they would be prepared to pay for.

maybe even toulose in super league wouldnt add much ?

The one advantage Toulouse might add is there might be a game played in France each week, which for a broadcaster would mean they could potentially create 30-odd weeks worth of programming on say a Saturday afternoon focused on French clubs in Super League.

Catalans hasn't 'caught on' because they're not shown each and every week.  Sure BeIN got the other SL games, but beyond the RL diehards, Salford v Wakefield is of little interest to a sports fan in France.  The only game of value to them is when the Dragons are on the screen, and if they sometimes end up with breaks of 3-4 weeks (which can happen around Challenge Cup time), that kills any audience building momentum, plus just disrupts their schedule. 

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Yakstorm said:

The one advantage Toulouse might add is there might be a game played in France each week, which for a broadcaster would mean they could potentially create 30-odd weeks worth of programming on say a Saturday afternoon focused on French clubs in Super League.

Catalans hasn't 'caught on' because they're not shown each and every week.  Sure BeIN got the other SL games, but beyond the RL diehards, Salford v Wakefield is of little interest to a sports fan in France.  The only game of value to them is when the Dragons are on the screen, and if they sometimes end up with breaks of 3-4 weeks (which can happen around Challenge Cup time), that kills any audience building momentum, plus just disrupts their schedule. 

i always believed super league should copy the nrl and get all games televised as a way of growing the sport.  

6 minutes ago, dealwithit said:

Surely Catalans and Toulouse make a combined prospect for a broadcaster. 

Maybe if they were both in SL and thus a French broadcaster could have a match in France to televise every week, but they're not now.  Then again although Toulouse is the fourth biggest city in France, Perpignan is a small town way down the list so maybe not even then.

1 hour ago, dealwithit said:

Surely Catalans and Toulouse make a combined prospect for a broadcaster. 

that would seem to be the way to go then they would have a weekly product to cover. In my opinion any long term french broadcasting deal is going to have to have a minimum of 2 french sides in Super League. To protect a French TV rights deal if Catalan or Toulouse went down then Aude Cathars or Avignon get promotion. 

If current BeIN deal cant be reinstated... then for now why not a combination of Sky broadcasting a couple of Cataland home games and have the regional tv station that covers french domestic game, cover the rest of Catalans home games?

How much would sky pay to show handball if Manchester put a team in the French or euro league, would you be interested in watching le Mans v Lille play handball if you wasn't a massive handball fan, or had never seen handball before. 

That's the situation in France for rl. 

7 hours ago, The Daddy said:

Alot of righteous and delusional posts on this thread. The bottom line is that Rugby league has very little profile in France, that means that the SL rights have no or a small amount of value. 

French tv stations are not bothered if you stop them from broadcasting SL, they lose nothing. It's the sport of RL in Europe that stands to lose much more when SL isn't screened in France. These are just realities that people in the RL community struggle to digest, the world doesn't owe rl anything.

A product is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

More importantly if the SL comp wants money for SL to be screened in France then it must do more to make the product more appealing to those broadcasters. It's completely naive and ignorant to just expect people to give you money coz you feel like they should, the world doesn't work like that. 

How about the SL clubs or executives just say we'll have the comp screened free of charge for x amount of years but we'll use that time to raise the profile of the sport and increase the market value of the competition. 

This whole episode has been handled disastrously by Elstone and the SL clubs and it's backfired, now there is no coverage in France at all which is terrible for the sport locally because it was starting to make a bit of headway. That's a massive L in my book. 

Since the head honchos at SL decided to be in charge of their own destiny and appointed RE, they don't seem to be making much of a fist of it. Apart from people who follow the game, does anyone else know it starts in two weeks? Where is the promotional activity? I haven't seen any yet.

10 hours ago, The Daddy said:

Alot of righteous and delusional posts on this thread. The bottom line is that Rugby league has very little profile in France, that means that the SL rights have no or a small amount of value. 

French tv stations are not bothered if you stop them from broadcasting SL, they lose nothing. It's the sport of RL in Europe that stands to lose much more when SL isn't screened in France. These are just realities that people in the RL community struggle to digest, the world doesn't owe rl anything.

A product is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

More importantly if the SL comp wants money for SL to be screened in France then it must do more to make the product more appealing to those broadcasters. It's completely naive and ignorant to just expect people to give you money coz you feel like they should, the world doesn't work like that. 

How about the SL clubs or executives just say we'll have the comp screened free of charge for x amount of years but we'll use that time to raise the profile of the sport and increase the market value of the competition. 

This whole episode has been handled disastrously by Elstone and the SL clubs and it's backfired, now there is no coverage in France at all which is terrible for the sport locally because it was starting to make a bit of headway. That's a massive L in my book. 

The things you are suggesting are what has happened. It pretty much has been free for years. The rights in the UK have increased and we now have a Toronto team in SL. Sure there is plenty more we can do, but why are you ignoring the fact that Catalans are very hopeful of getting a deal?

On 21/01/2020 at 09:46, Dave T said:

The things you are suggesting are what has happened. It pretty much has been free for years. The rights in the UK have increased and we now have a Toronto team in SL. Sure there is plenty more we can do, but why are you ignoring the fact that Catalans are very hopeful of getting a deal?

The rights have been free but there's been no strategic effort to increase the actual value of the tv rights. You should also take into account that BEIN Sports are a very new broadcast channel and don't have the reach of Canal plus or L'Equipe.

You say that Catalan are hopeful of getting a deal, according to the link below, the only deals left on the table include a small regional station and Eurosport. In both cases the broadcaster has demanded Catalan or SL pay the production costs. So we are in a worser position than when we started this ridiculous exercise. With two broadcasters with next to no visibility not paying for a deal or even prepared to pay production costs.

https://treizemondial.fr/dragons-catalans-une-reponse-en-fin-de-semaine-pour-la-tv/

1 minute ago, The Daddy said:

The rights have been free but there's been no strategic effort to increase the actual value of the tv rights. You should also take into account that BEIN Sports are a very new broadcast channel and don't have the reach of Canal plus or L'Equipe.

You say that Catalan are hopeful of getting a deal, according to the link below, the only deals left on the table include a small regional station and Eurosport. In both cases the broadcaster has demanded Catalan or SL pay the production costs. So we are in a worser position than when we started this ridiculous exercise. With two broadcasters with next to no visibility not paying for a deal or even prepared to pay production costs.

https://treizemondial.fr/dragons-catalans-une-reponse-en-fin-de-semaine-pour-la-tv/

The reality is that BEIN are not offering this £70k that keeps getting mentioned. 

They are offering to show our games if we pay. Awfully good of them.

2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

The reality is that BEIN are not offering this £70k that keeps getting mentioned. 

Which is exactly the same with the other tv stations. What does that say? 

Basically all parties are refusing to pay for rights and asking SL to cover the costs

6 minutes ago, kiwis 13 6 said:

If 5  games are covered by sky sport and the remaining 9 games arent covered picked up Bein or Eurosports is coverage by Via Occitaine a possible?

They are one of the remaining two options along with Eurosport 

21 minutes ago, Dave T said:

You are behind the times...you have missed the boat...I went over this last time with you about getting Ottawa in the Championship so games could be televised...You didn't listen and now look at the mess.

SL and RFL are really antiquated when it comes to televising the games...you are stuck in the 60's mindset.  Not even in the game.

I tried to explain it to ya but ya simply don't get it (you are not alone).

47 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

Which is exactly the same with the other tv stations. What does that say? 

Basically all parties are refusing to pay for rights and asking SL to cover the costs

You'll see my post earlier in this thread addresses how I think we should be wooing overseas broadcasters if there is a payday at the end of it (so far the signs are not good). 

But as things stand, we shouldn't be bent over by the likes of BEIN. If they want us to pay for rights that they have been enjoying for a few years, I'd tell them to go and whistle. If we have to fund broadcasting, we should do that on our terms, and for me that would be going to the biggest platform possible, or a new broadcaster and start that courting process back at first base.

27 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

You are behind the times...you have missed the boat...I went over this last time with you about getting Ottawa in the Championship so games could be televised...You didn't listen and now look at the mess.

SL and RFL are really antiquated when it comes to televising the games...you are stuck in the 60's mindset.  Not even in the game.

I tried to explain it to ya but ya simply don't get it (you are not alone).

Give it a rest you Donald Trump wannabe.

Just now, Dave T said:

You'll see my post earlier in this thread addresses how I think we should be wooing overseas broadcasters if there is a payday at the end of it (so far the signs are not good). 

But as things stand, we shouldn't be bent over by the likes of BEIN. If they want us to pay for rights that they have been enjoying for a few years, I'd tell them to go and whistle. If we have to fund broadcasting, we should do that on our terms, and for me that would be going to the biggest platform possible, or a new broadcaster and start that courting process back at first base.

Back to where you began at zero...you just don't get it...you are moving in circles like a dog chasing its tail.

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

Give it a rest you Donald Trump wannabe.

A statement like that  is used only  by the weak who have lost the argument....you are getting desperate now...just admit (for once) that you were wrong.  There is no shame in it...resorting to ridiculous out of context insults,  well ...that is a different matter.

Grow up.

8 hours ago, Dave T said:

As Kayakman says, you really don't get it do you. RL has no leverage in these negotiations that is where the sport sits currently in the French sporting landscape so like it or not the only way this situation is going to be of any benefit to RL is to give the rights away to a major broadcaster or as you put it 'get bent over' but this time around there needs to be a viable strategy to broaden the appeal of the product and get money for tv rights in around 4-7 years.

Yes the sentiment is right we should be asking for money but the demand isn't there right now so SL needs to think about how they can create that in the future. 

38 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

As Kayakman says, you really don't get it do you. RL has no leverage in these negotiations that is where the sport sits currently in the French sporting landscape so like it or not the only way this situation is going to be of any benefit to RL is to give the rights away to a major broadcaster or as you put it 'get bent over' but this time around there needs to be a viable strategy to broaden the appeal of the product and get money for tv rights in around 4-7 years.

Yes the sentiment is right we should be asking for money but the demand isn't there right now so SL needs to think about how they can create that in the future. 

Feel free to try and read my posts if you are capable. I suggested giving free rights, but I wouldn't be giving them to a broadcaster who has had their sample and actually used to pay. Them now demanding us to pay them is a no no. 

And you call Elstone a bad negotiator. I suggest it is you who doesn't get it. 

12 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Feel free to try and read my posts if you are capable. I suggested giving free rights, but I wouldn't be giving them to a broadcaster who has had their sample and actually used to pay. Them now demanding us to pay them is a no no. 

And you call Elstone a bad negotiator. I suggest it is you who doesn't get it. 

It always comes round to the fact that SL has no profile in France. That's the problem not what BEIN supposedly did or didn't do. It's up to them what they want to do, they clearly don't value the product and that's their choice. 

Archived