Warrington step up chase for NRL forward

As a Warrington fan I’m a bit concerned at the way we pad the squad out.   We really need a back up prop who needs to be average or better, but I’ve not seen any evidence in recent years that recruiting squad-filling forwards from overseas yields better results than finding talent locally.   I’d rather take a top championship prop and give him a chance than risk it on a lower-table NRL option who might not even adapt to the weather and lifestyle here.   Obviously a different story for back line players as we don’t have a pool of talent to pick from in the northern hemisphere.

Hope Price isn’t ‘doing a Bennett’... ?

10 hours ago, Cheshire Setter said:

As a Warrington fan I’m a bit concerned at the way we pad the squad out.   We really need a back up prop who needs to be average or better, but I’ve not seen any evidence in recent years that recruiting squad-filling forwards from overseas yields better results than finding talent locally.   I’d rather take a top championship prop and give him a chance than risk it on a lower-table NRL option who might not even adapt to the weather and lifestyle here.   Obviously a different story for back line players as we don’t have a pool of talent to pick from in the northern hemisphere.

Yep.  A new Chris Hill rather than a new Roy Asotasi.

"I'm a traditionalist and I don"t think you'd ever see me coaching an Australian national side!"  Lee Radford, RLW March 2016

Proud to be a member of the TRL woke claque

12 hours ago, Cheshire Setter said:

To be honest I think you could probably do with a top prop who's going to be in the 17 (if not 13) most weeks, rather than a backup. Seemed to struggle up front at the back end of the SL season and Hill is another year older. I can see you running out of steam in the forwards again by September. Not many top props around though tbf, even less at this stage

Benefit of the doubt, okay? Let's see what he can do.

If he's a flop, he'll be a cheaper flop than a big name who can't/won't perform in SL.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

3 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

If he's a flop, he'll be a cheaper flop than a big name who can't/won't perform in SL.

Aye, that's my attitude. I have no knowledge of him tbh, but plenty unknowns have been far better than bigger name signings, so I'm happy to see what happens. I'm glad we have another body, although it was always likely because of the empty 16 shirt. 

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

Aye, that's my attitude. I have no knowledge of him tbh, but plenty unknowns have been far better than bigger name signings, so I'm happy to see what happens. I'm glad we have another body, although it was always likely because of the empty 16 shirt. 

Remember, Spud Carroll came to SL with a huge fanfare, while the likes of Peter Gill, Adrian Vowles etc. got off the plane to a collective shrug.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I'm sure Batley fans hadn't the faintest idea who Glen Tomlinson was when he brought his luxuriant mullet to the British game.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Remember watching him when he broke into the 1st team at Penrith and he looked a real good prospect. But for some reason his performances nosedived and the Panthers got rid of him to the Titans. The fact he could barely get a game in the worst team in the NRL should raise some alarm bells. Lets see, a change of country and environment could help him get his career back on track, but based on his performances over the last few years he's a big risk for Wire.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

Was fantastic for Penrith 3 or 4 years ago. Really aggressive and has wonderful hands at the line. Gould was raving about him when he was coming through. No idea what went wrong at Titans but almost every player aside from Arrow seems to have gotten worse when they've signed for the Titans.

12 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Sounds right. We need a prop; we have signed a prop.

12 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Must admit I’ve never heard of the guy.

Then again I’d never heard of Luke Yates and he was nothing short of immense for London Broncos last year so who knows? 

Must admit I would have loved us to have gone for Yates, terrific player.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

8 hours ago, m brooksy said:

Was fantastic for Penrith 3 or 4 years ago. Really aggressive and has wonderful hands at the line. Gould was raving about him when he was coming through. No idea what went wrong at Titans but almost every player aside from Arrow seems to have gotten worse when they've signed for the Titans.

I have wondered for a while why representative/borderline rep players who go there see their careers nosedive? 

8 hours ago, Just Browny said:

Sounds right. We need a prop; we have signed a prop.

Must admit I would have loved us to have gone for Yates, terrific player.

Luke Yates prior to the 2019 season would of been considered a much poorer signing than Latu. 

You never know with these guys who are poor, fringe NRL squad players/reserve graders. 

They can sometimes be top players in Super League for a decent price. Could be a shrewd signing.

2 hours ago, AB90 said:

Luke Yates prior to the 2019 season would of been considered a much poorer signing than Latu. 

You never know with these guys who are poor, fringe NRL squad players/reserve graders. 

They can sometimes be top players in Super League for a decent price. Could be a shrewd signing.

Quite. Also Yates is just another Matt Davis so Wire are well covered in that role 

Archived