Huddersfax Giants Friendly

Batley Bob

On paper I thought this would of been the tonic we needed. Game of 2 halves alright. Gallant try out v hull so why didn't we bring the team gelling and positional comfortability into the full 80.

'Shaw cross juniors, Birkenshaw, Mirfield, Heckmondwike Panthers, Stainland Stags and then the Heavy woolen donkeys... WARDY, STOZZA, GT, KARL OR KEAR MUST OF DROPPED A DIGIT FROM MY MOBILE NUMBER! :clapping:

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, 9' oller said:

On paper I thought this would of been the tonic we needed. Game of 2 halves alright. Gallant try out v hull so why didn't we bring the team gelling and positional comfortability into the full 80.

I think we were just outplayed by a team that wanted it more than we did. They were probably out to impress looking for first team game time, and us, well nothing to get excited about. So so predictable with ball in hand. How come teams come to our ground and can kick 40/20   then we think oh we could have a go at one of those. Fearful of what fev will put past us next week . Did the giants have any 1st teamers in does anybody know or were they all reserves?

2 hours ago, ernieone said:

How long will it be before Matt Diskin stops getting blamed for all the ills of the club? The main problem at the Mount is we seem to be happy with players that have not performed for the last 3 years, some players that play very few games through injury or what ever reason, supporters are getting excited because we are resigning players who are at best average.

The club asked BISSA for money to sign a player from Hunslet who struggled to get in there team went on loan to Doncaster and as far as i remember was back at Hunslet quite quickly.

Have the club gone back to the pre Harrison days of only buying cut price players who have no chance of improving the clubs fortunes?

Most of the predictions keep referring to Batley as operating on one of the lowest budgets in the league and this division is largely governed by money. iIknow that "little Batley" have punched above their weight for a few seasos now but expecting it to continue unabated is optimistic at best. There are a group of clubs in the Championship, including mine, that operate within lower budgets and whilst ever that continues we can expect to be scratching around the bottom of the table with the occasional miraculous year to provide unrequited hope.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

49 minutes ago, Dog forever said:

I think we were just outplayed by a team that wanted it more than we did. They were probably out to impress looking for first team game time, and us, well nothing to get excited about. So so predictable with ball in hand. How come teams come to our ground and can kick 40/20   then we think oh we could have a go at one of those. Fearful of what fev will put past us next week . Did the giants have any 1st teamers in does anybody know or were they all reserves?

We kicked one... Lunt in the second half

they had the senior twins, Holmes

wilson, Roberts and a few others who all played at championship clubs and within the giants first grade 

25 minutes ago, Keep The Faith said:

We kicked one... Lunt in the second half

they had the senior twins, Holmes

wilson, Roberts and a few others who all played at championship clubs and within the giants first grade 

Butterworth has matured into a decent player, looked good today, as did Russel at scrum half, who l know has played at a number of clubs as well as us. That number 27 looked ok too - looked familiar!

57 minutes ago, distantdog said:

Butterworth has matured into a decent player, looked good today, as did Russel at scrum half, who l know has played at a number of clubs as well as us. That number 27 looked ok too - looked familiar!

Unfortunately Halifax have got first chance on these players.

to be right like someones said the giants players were up to grab a 1st team shirt if one comes up so looked good and would beat many championship team, holmes is a player to build a team round and i wish we could have had a whip round for him, for us the same players doing the right things  at the right times and an handfull looking like they dont want to be here and the tackling by some wouldent get you playing up park,  some need to look at themselves big time, not sure what diskins got to do with things as he had better players to pick from by looks a things but i do think its going to be tough at the bottom for 2020.we need to get rid of an handfull a deadwood and replace them with 2 or 3 quality players.

I have to disagree with a lot of what's been said after today's game. That was a good Giants team almost any of which some on here would be clamouring to have on DR if the opportunity arose. Galbraith missed a tackle that allowed Butterworth to slice through and score and he lost the plot somewhat after that, although his sin bin was harsh! Second half we were better and Everett, Ward and especially Manning were good. Yates delayed passes were excellent and again he was completely unprotected by the Ref. Morton's goal kicking is the best we've seen since Walker first arrived. If the trialist would have drawn his man, then given the ball to Rettie we'd have won the game, but I understand as a trialist why he tried to score. I thought Bravo looked good and Tiara injured his arm just before they scored. I don't expect to win the division but I think with Lunt leading us around the field I reckon we're in for a better season than most on here, but let's wait and see how we've played and where we are after the Swinton game a few rounds in..

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

39 minutes ago, Piggy's mate said:

I have to disagree with a lot of what's been said after today's game. That was a good Giants team almost any of which some on here would be clamouring to have on DR if the opportunity arose. Galbraith missed a tackle that allowed Butterworth to slice through and score and he lost the plot somewhat after that, although his sin bin was harsh! Second half we were better and Everett, Ward and especially Manning were good. Yates delayed passes were excellent and again he was completely unprotected by the Ref. Morton's goal kicking is the best we've seen since Walker first arrived. If the trialist would have drawn his man, then given the ball to Rettie we'd have won the game, but I understand as a trialist why he tried to score. I thought Bravo looked good and Tiara injured his arm just before they scored. I don't expect to win the division but I think with Lunt leading us around the field I reckon we're in for a better season than most on here, but let's wait and see how we've played and where we are after the Swinton game a few rounds in..

I agree with some of that, but I do think we are desperately short of quality and pace in the backs.

Last season most of the tries were conceded down the channels where the centres and half backs defend. All of the friendlies have cemented the fact that we haven't fixed that issue and it is definitely still a huge problem.

Whether the players with the right quality are available, and whether we have the means to bring them in if they are, remains to be seen though.

8 hours ago, il cattivo said:

absolute garbage.

cant see us doing anything this year.

players not good enough last year and same ones not good enough this year.

we needed a clear out of dead wood and new blood.

i really fear for us..not one single new signing has impressed me at all.

I do not agree with the garbage but have to agree with the current squad we are going to be a bottom 5 side and a relegation battle looms.  I would like to be wrong and finish with egg on my face but without 2/3 additions I fear the worst. Featherstone with a sprinkling of Leeds 1st team squad players plus some promising signings does not bode well.  

43 minutes ago, Piggy's mate said:

3 England u19s internationals in that side who smashed the Aussies not long ago... plus Holmes, Oliver Roberts and Oliver Russell who have made over 150 SL appearances between them we haven’t got anyone apart from Lunt  in the squad like that 

Galbraith is due a big season come on expectation hasn’t lived up to it.. Taria is another one 

yates needed more protection.. 

also I thought we missed Browny JC and scotty for the leadership of the team 

Lighten up man it's a joke. The wags need to support our lads and their families balance their good times with bad times/ recovery

'Shaw cross juniors, Birkenshaw, Mirfield, Heckmondwike Panthers, Stainland Stags and then the Heavy woolen donkeys... WARDY, STOZZA, GT, KARL OR KEAR MUST OF DROPPED A DIGIT FROM MY MOBILE NUMBER! :clapping:

yep,an happy wife gets you an happy life. and to be fair some had it hard past couple a seasons with not much to cheer about.just shows we do get a lot right up at the mount with it been a real family club. and are only a couple a players off been ready for anyone.heres to a great 2020.

16 hours ago, Batley Bob said:

Whilst this is a fantastic gesture by the club, why on earth are Oldham not paying for this?

I feel for Diskin and his mental issues as a result of what happened last season with Archive. But I fail to see what Oldham do in France has to do with Batley. The Oldham team won't be traumatised by what happened.

So why are we getting involved and helping one of our biggest relegation rivals?

We are short of centres and half backs, presumably missed out on signing Sammut due to money, yet we can fund a rivals' hotel bill in France and also give 20% of the travelling support revenue to one of the clubs that regularly pick off our better players. at what is likely to be one of our highest attended games.

I'm all for helping people/clubs out, but we never seem to get our outstanding generosity reciprocated.

2 minutes ago, DOGFATHER said:

Whilst this is a fantastic gesture by the club, why on earth are Oldham not paying for this?

I feel for Diskin and his mental issues as a result of what happened last season with Archive. But I fail to see what Oldham do in France has to do with Batley. The Oldham team won't be traumatised by what happened.

So why are we getting involved and helping one of our biggest relegation rivals?

We are short of centres and half backs, presumably missed out on signing Sammut due to money, yet we can fund a rivals' hotel bill in France and also give 20% of the travelling support at what is likely to be one of our highest attended games.

I'm all for helping people/clubs out, but we never seem to get our outstanding generosity reciprocated.

Have you read the article

IMG_0583.JPG

12 hours ago, DOGFATHER said:

We are short of centres and half backs, presumably missed out on signing Sammut due to money, yet we can fund a rivals' hotel bill in France and also give 20% of the travelling support revenue to one of the clubs that regularly pick off our better players. at what is likely to be one of our highest attended games.

In regards to the Whys? Oldham probably can not afford to pay for the hotel and sometimes things are bigger than sport and sometimes just because its the right thing to do. For those people who found the young lad and the weight of feeling responsibly for your players welfare, its hard to even begin to imagine what they went through and are going through. The RFL refusing to change the hotel, when they spend money on all sorts of stupid stuff, is quite frankly a disgrace. State of mind when it suits them.

Hello dogfather, that's what I thought at first re the money to Featherstone.

Do you go to away matches, if you do buy your Featherstone ticket through the Bulldogs ticket thingy and the club get 20% of your ticket value, at this moment in time I don't know how many clubs are doing this, that is something else that needs to be published.

Archived