Huddersfax Giants Friendly

Batley Bob

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

In regards to the Whys? Oldham probably can not afford to pay for the hotel and sometimes things are bigger than sport and sometimes just because its the right thing to do. For those people who found the young lad and the weight of feeling responsibly for your players welfare, its hard to even begin to imagine what they went through and are going through. The RFL refusing to change the hotel, when they spend money on all sorts of stupid stuff, is quite frankly a disgrace. State of mind when it suits them.

Thanks for update TBO. i think its a fantastic jesture from the bod at batley, rfl should hang thier heads in shame,well done batley.

6 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

In regards to the Whys? Oldham probably can not afford to pay for the hotel and sometimes things are bigger than sport and sometimes just because its the right thing to do. For those people who found the young lad and the weight of feeling responsibly for your players welfare, its hard to even begin to imagine what they went through and are going through. The RFL refusing to change the hotel, when they spend money on all sorts of stupid stuff, is quite frankly a disgrace. State of mind when it suits them.

I quite agree with you in terms of it being a disgrace by the RFL and I applaud the amazing gesture by the club. However, we are not a wealthy club by any means, as our pre-season signings attest to. Therefore, I find it a strange decision to help one of our relegation rivals financially, when any spare money we have could have been used to strengthen the paper thin squad we have assembled and hopefully increase our chances of avoiding the drop. 

I wonder how many other clubs would have done the same for us, if we were in Oldham's position? I can't help thinking we would be left to it, with a message of well you knew were playing in France etc. so should have put money aside instead of signing players.

I see clubs rallying around and bending over backwards for Bradford, a club that over the years have consistently cheated the system, the rules and their creditors. Yet clubs like us and Dewsbury seemingly play by the rules, never spend more than we can afford, but I haven't seen clubs rallying around to assist us by loaning us fringe players over the years.

1 hour ago, DOGFATHER said:

I quite agree with you in terms of it being a disgrace by the RFL and I applaud the amazing gesture by the club. However, we are not a wealthy club by any means, as our pre-season signings attest to. Therefore, I find it a strange decision to help one of our relegation rivals financially, when any spare money we have could have been used to strengthen the paper thin squad we have assembled and hopefully increase our chances of avoiding the drop. 

I wonder how many other clubs would have done the same for us, if we were in Oldham's position? I can't help thinking we would be left to it, with a message of well you knew

I for one couldn't be prouder of the club. This is an amazing gesture. I don't care what other clubs do, have done or wouldn't have done, they're not us and this is why we're the best.

Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

I think it is a wonderful gesture, and suggests that 1. What happened in Toulouse still resonates with those who were there, and l would imagine always will, and 2. The club takes its duty of care to those who were, will be and are part of the Batley family incredibly seriously. I went to Toulouse, and remember being utterly shocked by the news when waking up on the Sunday morning. It made me question my interest in the game. I felt completely hollow at the Fev game, so goodness knows how the players and staff felt during that match. 

5 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

It may have been your Chairman's own money. I don't really see it as helping one of your rivals financially though, apart from having their coach with them at the hotel Im not sure what advantage they gain from it?

I can only assume that the money involved is a fairly substantial amount, otherwise, why would Oldham need help in paying for the change of accommodation? Surely there own chairman could fund this out of his own pocket?

As I am sure you are aware, finance has a large bearing on final league positions. Therefore, I am just a little surprised that one of the poorest clubs in the Championship are somehow finding the money to fund this, when that money could be used to strengthen the squad and help us to avoid relegation. If Oldham had to find this money, surely they would have less money available to strengthen their own squad, thus again improving our chances of staying up. I would have thought this was obvious from my previous post?

If we are relegated this season and Oldham survive, which make no mistake is a very real possibility. I wonder how many clubs will be rallying round to help us to get out of L1 as a result of this fabulous gesture, after seeing what a great club we are? 

The answer is, probably the same amount that have chipped in to help Oldham with their terrible predicament. Afterall, the "RL family" always look after there own,..

but seemingly not in this case. 

That is not to say that I disagree with the decision to do this. As I stated earlier, it is fantastic and the right thing to do, but I would have expected all of the other clubs in the "RL family" I keep hearing about, to either help out, or better still, pressure/shame the Rfl in to doing the right thing by one of its member clubs.

I guess fax will have the buckets back out in support? Or did you have to pawn them to pay for your pre-season signings?

31 minutes ago, DOGFATHER said:

That is not to say that I disagree with the decision to do this. As I stated earlier, it is fantastic and the right thing to do, but I would have expected all of the other clubs in the "RL family" I keep hearing about, to either help out, or better still, pressure/shame the Rfl in to doing the right thing by one of its member clubs.

I guess fax will have the buckets back out in support? Or did you have to pawn them to pay for your pre-season signings?

If it is the right thing to do, why go on so much about it? Perhaps the reason we helped out is because it is very close to home for us.

As for the last point you made, what has that got to do with anything in relation to the topic being discussed?

26 minutes ago, distantdog said:

If it is the right thing to do, why go on so much about it? Perhaps the reason we helped out is because it is very close to home for us.

Absolutely, this. Some things are about more than pounds, shillings and pence. I've just read the article and the RFL stance is an absolute disgrace, the lack of compassion is staggering. Good on our club for putting it right, I'll put a few more bob into the War Chest in support. 

12 hours ago, DOGFATHER said:

I can only assume that the money involved is a fairly substantial amount, otherwise, why would Oldham need help in paying for the change of accommodation? Surely there own chairman could fund this out of his own pocket?

As I am sure you are aware, finance has a large bearing on final league positions. Therefore, I am just a little surprised that one of the poorest clubs in the Championship are somehow finding the money to fund this, when that money could be used to strengthen the squad and help us to avoid relegation. If Oldham had to find this money, surely they would have less money available to strengthen their own squad, thus again improving our chances of staying up. I would have thought this was obvious from my previous post?

If we are relegated this season and Oldham survive, which make no mistake is a very real possibility. I wonder how many clubs will be rallying round to help us to get out of L1 as a result of this fabulous gesture, after seeing what a great club we are? 

The answer is, probably the same amount that have chipped in to help Oldham with their terrible predicament. Afterall, the "RL family" always look after there own,..

but seemingly not in this case. 

Its about things been bigger than sport. Its about doing the right thing by your mates.

2 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

Its about things been bigger than sport. Its about doing the right thing by your mates.

Where have I disagreed with this? 

It is precisely for that reason I would have expected the whole of the Rugby League family to help Oldham, not just one club. Maybe I am expecting too much from the RL Family/mates within the game? 

By help, I do not mean just financially, although this is an issue, it is not the most prominent. I would have expected all of the member clubs to be up in arms over this, and pressure the RFL in to doing the right thing under the circumstances. As yet, I haven't seen anything from another club on the matter, though. 

Instead, Batley seem to be only ones doing the right thing and sticking up for one of it's mates and doing their part as a RL family member. The rest of the clubs seem mute on the issue, and the RFL are being allowed to hide behind a nonsensical statement about privacy.

This issue will just become tomorrow's chip paper and another failing by the RFL towards one of it's lower ranked members will be swept under the carpet, just like so many others.

I know many do not like Diskin on this forum, but his recent article/letter to the YEP really hits the nail on the head, about a need for change within the game.

Typical tfl they let Catalan register a player that no one in Australia will touch because of his comments . There just making the sport a joke and allowing a player to cover the sponsors logo.up as its against his religious beliefs . But when a coach asks for different hotel as he witnessed as a life changing event the answer is no . Just shows how there prioritize things 

23 minutes ago, doggystyle said:

Out of interest has the hotel been changed for our away game in Toulouse?

I think if it hadn’t there would be players that would refuse to travel and you couldn’t blame them 

I’m sure some of the squad will be dreading their trip to France this year it will bring it all back and I doubt they will be over last years catastrophic events 

We really mustn’t underestimate how it affected those guys along with Matt Diskin 

Archived