Jump to content

iPhone Vs Android


Recommended Posts

For the first time ever I’ve got an iPhone (not the latest one or anything) and I have to say I preferred the android ones I have always used. For one thing I’ve got years and years of photos on google photos and not sure how you access them, if at all. Nor will it let me use my iTunes on it for some reason. 
 

I do have an iPad, so it’s not a case of total unfamiliarity but I just can’t get on with it. But as it cost quite a lot, I’m bloody sticking with it. What’s your preference?

Link to comment
Share on other sites


It depends on what you're used to. I like the simple interconnectivity between Apple stuff but I'm increasingly slow to upgrade given the costs of the things. I use an iPad Pro for most of my work when out of the house and I like how it just works with my iPhone. I used to have an Apple laptop as well until they went from proper performance machines to student bling where brand display on a showy device is more important than what it does.

On Google photos, go to the Apple app store and download the Google photos app.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

andorids arent as bad as they used to be.  having said that you cant beat an apple.

the only thing i hate about the apple is the constant software updates and asking for multiple securitiy layers which i ignore

having said that the samsung galaxy S10 edge plus retails at around 1200 vs 1600 for the similar apple.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Like anything it’s subjective . What you have , prefer and get accustomed to . I’ve always been an Apple fan and I like them . I think it’s quality . I used to have a couple of android devices and I thought them an inferior spin off , but that was a few years back .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm on my second iPhone. I wouldn't have switched but everyone else in the family was heading that way and Apple does a good job at making connections between its own products work well.

For basic things, I think the iPhone is simpler but I found altering and fixing things on Android a hell of a lot more straightforward and intuitive most of the time.

That said, comfortably the best and easiest phone I ever had was a Windows Phone. It was massively let down by the fact that there were basically no apps for it which, as time went on, made it pretty redundant, but in terms of usability, nothing else has come close to it.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm firmly in the iPhone camp.

I'm currently on my 6th  or so, a work supplied XI, I had a personal 6 that Mrs Shadow now uses. It's the simplicity of upgrading that I really like. Switch on new phone. Put it next to old phone. Walk away. Come back, all done. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I still use a Nokia 2610. My next phone will be smart, probably Android, but the old b*gger keeps on working!

"We are easily breakable, by illness or falling, or a million other ways of leaving this earthly life. We are just so much mashed potato."  Don Estelle

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, DavidM said:

Like anything it’s subjective . What you have , prefer and get accustomed to . I’ve always been an Apple fan and I like them . I think it’s quality . I used to have a couple of android devices and I thought them an inferior spin off , but that was a few years back .

Yep, that for me too.

I have never bought a new one. Indeed, my most recent was a 5s for £50. I can't comprehend spending hundreds on a phone that does only a few more things (that I am not sure I would ever need) than a predecessor of only a few years. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, gingerjon said:

I'm on my second iPhone. I wouldn't have switched but everyone else in the family was heading that way and Apple does a good job at making connections between its own products work well.

For basic things, I think the iPhone is simpler but I found altering and fixing things on Android a hell of a lot more straightforward and intuitive most of the time.

That said, comfortably the best and easiest phone I ever had was a Windows Phone. It was massively let down by the fact that there were basically no apps for it which, as time went on, made it pretty redundant, but in terms of usability, nothing else has come close to it.

I have to totally agree with you about the windows phones, I had a couple in a row and I've never had an easier phone to use. Simple, sleek interface, easy to navigate and understand but as you say, the app store on it was rubbish and eventually more and more companies just stopped producing apps for them. I eventually had to change to android when updates stopped even coming out for the windows phones because windows had basically stopped production of them.

At one point I knew loads of people that had them and I remember reading an article once about how many phones of each operating system there was that had windows phones at 12% of the market share at their height. A quick rise in popularity and a shockingly fast decline it seems. 

One thing I have missed from the windows phone was being able to pin specific contacts and web pages to your home screen so you could just access them straight away. A little thing but something I miss. I had the totalrl forum pinned on there pride of place near the top of the screen. Good times! ? 

Have totalrl ever thought about doing an app. I know loverugbyleague had one but I got rid of it when my anti-virus kept saying it was dodgy!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My lad, half jokingly I hope, says that your phone listens to you. He was demonstrating this by saying certain things and showing that adverts for that thing came up on his phone. They didn’t funnily enough but he claims they usually do. 

Is this a thing or just him off in conspiracy theory territory? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If anyone is on Android log in to Google My Account and see how much they track your location history, location timeline and all your web activity etc. Its amazing and frightening, you will quickly start to turn off as much as possible! I presume Apple does similar.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

My lad, half jokingly I hope, says that your phone listens to you. He was demonstrating this by saying certain things and showing that adverts for that thing came up on his phone. They didn’t funnily enough but he claims they usually do. 

Is this a thing or just him off in conspiracy theory territory? 

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/your-smartphone-listening-or-coincidence/

It is something that has been spoken about for years, but the companies deny that it is happening.

I can't say I have experienced it personally - I think a lot of it is coincidence and your brain just likes to make the connections.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Damien said:

If anyone is on Android log in to Google My Account and see how much they track your location history, location timeline and all your web activity etc. Its amazing and frightening, you will quickly start to turn off as much as possible! I presume Apple does similar.

Turn off? Turn off what? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Damien said:

If anyone is on Android log in to Google My Account and see how much they track your location history, location timeline and all your web activity etc. Its amazing and frightening, you will quickly start to turn off as much as possible! I presume Apple does similar.

You can request and download all of your data from Google which is always fascinating, and quite scary!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Johnoco said:

Now I’m even more confused. ?? Like what? 

Just settings and permissions on what apps can do aren't always as straightforward as they may seem. Sometimes you need that functionality for an app to work properly, say locations on Google maps, but make sure you then log into Google and delete your history and timeline periodically.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Click said:

To be honest - most of it is just paranoia, these companies are going to collect the data on you anyway !

It's not paranoia though you get hacked, or indeed the company who has your data gets hacked. Criminals can do an awful lot with that data.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wish I could apply my nouse to this thread, but as my phone has died a stupid death, and my phone provider will not upgrade my phone, I have had to buy a £30 phone, because an employer needs me to have a phone. Due to my negative credit rating I can't do anything else.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...