Update on the George Hotel

Bit of good news about the George Hotel in Huddersfield.

Planning permission has been granted to turn the George Hotel into a hotel, museum, and restaurant at the end of last year. Huddersfield's latest Future High Street Fund Bid aiming at heritage buildings has brought Heritage England to the table. With this, a grant of around £1 million has been secured to help with restoring the buildings in the St George Square area which includes the George Hotel. Hopefully the RFL might step in and add bit of extra cash especially for the Museum before the World Cup next year.   

7 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

I've never understood why they didn't (or didn't seem to) want to locate the proposed RL museum in The George Hotel.

Seemed the obvious venue (as opposed to some random room inside Bradford City Hall)

Or indeed the whole RFL ?

I've never understood why the old joseph platt offices in queen st oldham , which still stand and bears the blue plaque I use as my avatar, have never been regarded as important in the annals of rugby league. The northern rugby union was run and administered from the offices for  its first 25 years by it's first secretary , Joseph platt.

2 hours ago, Tom Rhodes said:

It won't be in Bradford. Huddersfield Council are trying to get a shift on at the minute with it because of the potential tourism that it might bring when John Smith Stadium holds a number of World Cup games. 

The governing body and Rugby League Cares seem to have Bradford organised - with private investment added.

https://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/what-we-do/heritage/national-rugby-league-museum/

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

4 hours ago, paulwalker71 said:

I've never understood why they didn't (or didn't seem to) want to locate the proposed RL museum in The George Hotel.

Seemed the obvious venue (as opposed to some random room inside Bradford City Hall)

Someone else is taking the risk and the council won't be going bust anytime soon.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

The history of the George is amazing.but it was hardly impressive 

When it was in a dingy basement it was a.bit meh 

The town itself isn't even a rugby town anyway 

It's like the attachment to odsal bc fifty years ago it got 120k there 

4 hours ago, NOS4A2 said:

The RFL should have purchased The George Hotel decades ago. With a decent refit they could have kept 40 High End rooms, had office and meeting facilities and the Museum. 

When I was there last the room that housed the museum/memorabilia was full to bursting and there was stuff they couldn't show

I'd guess that with all the extra memorabilia that could be shown, plus it seems that the Huddersfield Heritage also have memorabilia of their own that could be added? Huddersfield would seem like the obvious choice

I'd have an expanded museum and cafe downstairs and then apartments/hotel rooms upstairs whichever works best to bring some income in. The cafe area should be of sufficient size to be used for special RL-related events  

A blue plaque trail is a good idea and link it to decent pubs - the Kings Head and Head of Steam are good places to start

11 hours ago, Angelic Cynic said:

The governing body and Rugby League Cares seem to have Bradford organised - with private investment added.

https://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/what-we-do/heritage/national-rugby-league-museum/

Don't know how old this link is, somebody put up a link to a BBC article about having the museum in Bradford but that's nearly 4 years old. I agree with the fact Huddersfield isn't a Rugby town as much but the George Hotel is a historical landmark for our sport that needs to be used. 

The last time I was in Huddersfield last Easter I spoke to the Vermin control man outside the George Hotel & he told me its full of pigeon plus the roof is knackered due to the lead been nicked years ago, reckoned it would never be reopened in time for the Rugby World cup??

20 hours ago, Bostik Bailey said:

It appears on Sky’s COBRA drama series

Jeez i thought i saw it but convinced myself otherwise. Hope its ok after that fire.........

The owners left in a hurry didn't they? Still had part drunk pints of beer on the bar, and it also looks as though a refurb of bedrooms was started. New mattresses stored etc

The hotel changed hands a couple of times in terms of which hotel chain they belonged to before it closed - Bespoke hotels was one I think. 

19 minutes ago, Hopping Mad said:

Parking's abysmal in George Square (and nearby). Hopeless for a governing body with a decent number of staff and visitors. Maybe one of the reasons nobody can make the place work as a hotel!

Yes but so what ? , ALL RL people only travel by train , they don't own cars ( except those in Leigh ) 

It's hard to believe how bad things have got in Hudd's town center  I dont just know how typical it is of other towns of it's size up north as i don't get about much these days . There are some nice surrounding areas but the town it'self is pretty much shut down, I don't really think bringing anything to do with the RFL would be a good idea sadly, It wouldn't be doing it any favors. 

I don't know how many students are into League but the Uni seems to be ever expanding, everything else seems to be going backwards, Is it just Hudds or is it the same everywhere.

Dont expect anything from a pig but a grunt

40 minutes ago, GIANTSTRIDES said:

It's hard to believe how bad things have got in Hudd's town center  I dont just know how typical it is of other towns of it's size up north as i don't get about much these days . There are some nice surrounding areas but the town it'self is pretty much shut down, I don't really think bringing anything to do with the RFL would be a good idea sadly, It wouldn't be doing it any favors. 

I don't know how many students are into League but the Uni seems to be ever expanding, everything else seems to be going backwards, Is it just Hudds or is it the same everywhere.

I know that Huddersfield isn’t what it used to be but if you compare it with other towns in Kirklees then it has done very well

1 hour ago, GIANTSTRIDES said:

Pretty much the same story across the north of England Leeds & Manchester excepted in my experience, why the RFL didn't get involved with the George Hotel before it moved to Red Hall has always puzzled me, the money was obviously there at that time and it would have secured the games heritage. The only thing that comes to mind is that in those days of the shiney SL the games history was being erased, look at the shambolic way the game's centenary was treated and of course it just wasn't grand enough for those administering the game then?

1 hour ago, Clogiron said:

Pretty much the same story across the north of England Leeds & Manchester excepted in my experience, why the RFL didn't get involved with the George Hotel before it moved to Red Hall has always puzzled me, the money was obviously there at that time and it would have secured the games heritage. The only thing that comes to mind is that in those days of the shiney SL the games history was being erased, look at the shambolic way the game's centenary was treated and of course it just wasn't grand enough for those administering the game then?

Not sure the money was there - Leeds City Council backed and facilitated the move to Red Hall AFAIK and if the George was still being used as a hotel in any event there would have been nowhere to move to.

Archived