Update on the George Hotel

2 hours ago, M j M said:

Not sure the money was there - Leeds City Council backed and facilitated the move to Red Hall AFAIK and if the George was still being used as a hotel in any event there would have been nowhere to move to.

Bang on.

The RFL had had enough of Chapeltown which had become  a virtual no go hell hole especially at night  so Lindsay did one of his deals to secure Red Hall and get rid of Chapeltown Rd, all with Leeds City Council  assistance. Apparently there was a suggestion that the RFL might be Manchester bound even then  without better surroundings and the Council were very  keen to retain the Governing Body within their city .....

The George only ever had about 6 dedicated parking spaces and the whole of that area has always been a parking disaster. as anyone who ever  needed to attend BARLA Headquarters around the corner can testify.

By the way that fire in COBRA on TV looked pretty effective - is the George still standing ?  ?

12 hours ago, Clogiron said:

Pretty much the same story across the north of England Leeds & Manchester excepted in my experience, why the RFL didn't get involved with the George Hotel before it moved to Red Hall has always puzzled me, the money was obviously there at that time and it would have secured the games heritage. The only thing that comes to mind is that in those days of the shiney SL the games history was being erased, look at the shambolic way the game's centenary was treated and of course it just wasn't grand enough for those administering the game then?

Not just the north, same applies in the Midlands too.

There are pockets of regeneration in these smaller towns and cities though and some interesting schemes to regenerate the town centres

17 hours ago, GIANTSTRIDES said:

It's hard to believe how bad things have got in Hudd's town center  I dont just know how typical it is of other towns of it's size up north as i don't get about much these days . There are some nice surrounding areas but the town it'self is pretty much shut down, I don't really think bringing anything to do with the RFL would be a good idea sadly, It wouldn't be doing it any favors. 

I don't know how many students are into League but the Uni seems to be ever expanding, everything else seems to be going backwards, Is it just Hudds or is it the same everywhere.

There is more than enough hotel space in Huddersfield already and the George's only actual claim to fame was that it hosted the original meeting, nothing more. It is a financial black hole and, thankfully, the RFL have avoided all toughts of getting involved with it. Any actual redevelopment of the building will probably coincide with HS2 reaching Huddersfield.

A very large proportion of the students at the University are from overseas, largely from China and Vietnam. This either represents a barrier or an opportunity, depending upon your viewpoint.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

18 hours ago, GIANTSTRIDES said:

It's hard to believe how bad things have got in Hudd's town center  I dont just know how typical it is of other towns of it's size up north as i don't get about much these days . There are some nice surrounding areas but the town it'self is pretty much shut down, I don't really think bringing anything to do with the RFL would be a good idea sadly, It wouldn't be doing it any favors. 

I don't know how many students are into League but the Uni seems to be ever expanding, everything else seems to be going backwards, Is it just Hudds or is it the same everywhere.

I work in Hudds and I think its quite nice!  Much more thriving than other northern towns i've been to.  Desperately need some investment up here though.

1 hour ago, One F in Wakefield said:

I work in Hudds and I think its quite nice!  Much more thriving than other northern towns i've been to.  Desperately need some investment up here though.

Far as i know the market hall is due to be demolished, complete with it's iconic ceiling, and i'm told that even the £1 shops are closing down now, but you are quite right the whole of the north with a couple of exceptions needs a massive amount of investment.

Not long ago i had occasion to spend a few days in Maidstone , i was amazed at the hustle and bustle going on in the town, completely opposite to Huddersfield, It was busy , busy , busy, I get the impression that's typical of the difference between the north and south, I guess we have learned to know our place up here.  In any event i don't see the George as an option for the RFL, as some one has already said Where are you going to park ?

Dont expect anything from a pig but a grunt

16 hours ago, del capo said:

Bang on.

The RFL had had enough of Chapeltown which had become  a virtual no go hell hole especially at night  so Lindsay did one of his deals to secure Red Hall and get rid of Chapeltown Rd, all with Leeds City Council  assistance. Apparently there was a suggestion that the RFL might be Manchester bound even then  without better surroundings and the Council were very  keen to retain the Governing Body within their city .....

The George only ever had about 6 dedicated parking spaces and the whole of that area has always been a parking disaster. as anyone who ever  needed to attend BARLA Headquarters around the corner can testify.

By the way that fire in COBRA on TV looked pretty effective - is the George still standing ?  ?

Yes, it was said that by the time we left Chapeltown Road you could get a gun, a fix, a woman and a Cup Final ticket without changing queue. Seem to remember that Joseph Platt's successor conned the RFL into moving there as he only lived just round the corner.

1 hour ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

Yes, it was said that by the time we left Chapeltown Road you could get a gun, a fix, a woman and a Cup Final ticket without changing queue. Seem to remember that Joseph Platt's successor conned the RFL into moving there as he only lived just round the corner.

It was almost certainly a pretty nice place to live when they first moved there.

I remember going a couple of times to pick up Premiership Final tickets at the ticket office there in the early '90s. It was quite convenient for us north Loiners - and was quite a charming mansion underneath - but it was an utterly incongruent place for the game's HQ to be. It really deserves a blue plaque given the sort of stuff which must have happened there (Headingley has two RL ones which seems overkill).

It's now been converted into flats, and the extension which I presume housed the ticket office has been demolished -

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-66873147.html

Part of the deal with the council saw it become council offices but they never changed the shutters so, right to the end, the 13 logo remained on display -

image.thumb.png.20cdb3c5645411bbb31b282839b6ac1d.png

(image from Twitter)

3 hours ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

Sounds like a good day out ?

I used to drive through Chapeltown quite often during the day for work. Fairly regularly, streets would be cordoned off with Police tape, followed by absolutely no subsequent reports in the local papers.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

6 hours ago, GIANTSTRIDES said:

Not long ago i had occasion to spend a few days in Maidstone , i was amazed at the hustle and bustle going on in the town, completely opposite to Huddersfield, It was busy , busy , busy...

Funny, that. One of my wife's best mates grew up in Kent and lives near the Medway towns. The friend rates Maidstone a complete toilet, though concedes not in the same class as Shittingbourne (as it's known down there).

39 minutes ago, JohnM said:

The rainfall in Huddersfield is significant ...

Same rainfall as Salford. Salford on average 1 Celsius warmer. 

That'll be the scrotes setting fire to stolen cars.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

Archived