Rugby League World Season Launch Issue

spacer.png

Click here for print subscriptions, renewals, gift vouchers and single copies

Click here to find your nearest local stockist (UK/Ireland only)

Click here for the online edition to read on PC/Mac, smartphone, tablet etc

Issue 466 (Feb '20) on sale Fri 24th Jan

It's our big season launch issue!
Inside you'll find a club-by-club preview of the Betfred Super League, Championship and League 1 competitions, plus an additional 36-page Fixture Guide too.
Also included this month, we go pre-season training with referees in the midst of Storm Brendan, Bradford Bulls legend Robbie Hunter-Paul submits himself to our Quickfire Q & A, our Time Machine travels back to the Magic Weekend season opener in 2011 and we set out our hopes for 2020.
We chat to a history maker in the women's game, look ahead to Toronto Wolfpack's debut in the big time and those players who got them there all the way from League 1, and we find out how well-travelled Australian coach Phil Economidis ended up in Belgrade.
Don't miss it!

In shops across the UK from Fri 24th Jan, or download the digital edition at www.totalrl.com/rlw from Thur 23rd Jan - Also available by post and on subscription worldwide from www.totalrl.com/shop

i get the digital issue but also ordered the print copy because I like to have the handy fixture guide in my pocket at the games and at the pub to bandy about! thanks guys.

• John Drake changed the title to Rugby League World Season Launch Issue
8 hours ago, Eddie said:

At the risk of hijacking this thread, what rugby league if any is played in Belgium Manu, or even Union? Thanks. 

Union is getting stronger on the French speaking part and in one Flemish town between Ghent and Brussels. National team is doing well in the euro competition, just one level below 6 Nations. Belgian games are not on tv though. 

League has a senior team that won the Dutch league in 2015, but then they were kicked out because a 4th Dutch club was formed, they are still playing in sporadic tournaments but most players play other sports during the year,

and a league academy with 60 kids enrolled in different school programs mainly based North West of Brussels. They now have a U20 team that will play at the Rotterdam tournament in April.

And to stay in topic Rugby League World is available every month at Waterstones in the centre of Brussels.

On 21/01/2020 at 16:44, John Drake said:

spacer.png

Click here for print subscriptions, renewals, gift vouchers and single copies

Click here to find your nearest local stockist (UK/Ireland only)

Click here for the online edition to read on PC/Mac, smartphone, tablet etc

Issue 466 (Feb '20) on sale Fri 24th Jan

It's our big season launch issue!
Inside you'll find a club-by-club preview of the Betfred Super League, Championship and League 1 competitions, plus an additional 36-page Fixture Guide too.
Also included this month, we go pre-season training with referees in the midst of Storm Brendan, Bradford Bulls legend Robbie Hunter-Paul submits himself to our Quickfire Q & A, our Time Machine travels back to the Magic Weekend season opener in 2011 and we set out our hopes for 2020.
We chat to a history maker in the women's game, look ahead to Toronto Wolfpack's debut in the big time and those players who got them there all the way from League 1, and we find out how well-travelled Australian coach Phil Economidis ended up in Belgrade.
Don't miss it!

In shops across the UK from Fri 24th Jan, or download the digital edition at www.totalrl.com/rlw from Thur 23rd Jan - Also available by post and on subscription worldwide from www.totalrl.com/shop

Another great season preview edition - really enjoying the read!

Great edition only spoiled by the lack of twenty articles about the Red Devils!

Almost balanced by expansion coverage & other stuff but not quite.

And I hid the magazines of another sport while I was there so all's well that ends well. ( Only kidding!)

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Thanks. BTW, I see you are using a TRANPARENT PNG for the Toronto Wolfpack logo on your cover.

Which means it's barely visible.  Here's a couple that aren't transparent. It might help in the future.

8d3a6a_5c65001d80344d75964aa83ecbcee6ac~mv2.webp

On 25/01/2020 at 20:01, Rhinoferg said:

I haven't bought a sports magazine for years and if they are this thin then I won't be buying one for a long time.

The last RL magazine I bought was Harry Edgars Open Rugby about 35 years ago so I was hoping for better and greater things when I popped into the main W.H Smith in Brighton yesterday for this issue.

It's not the content that was disappointing but the overall graphic design....there really needs to be a big improvement on layout, graphics,fonts...it's a particularly poor show from a design perspective.

On 25/01/2020 at 20:01, Rhinoferg said:

I haven't bought a sports magazine for years and if they are this thin then I won't be buying one for a long time.

Many 'fatter' magazines are just stuffed with adverts. We don't have that luxury. Our page to content ratio is far higher than many other titles on the shelves: of our 68 pages, 63 of them are original editorial content. If more people bought RLW more regularly, it could have more pages and more content. It's a vicious circle I'm afraid.

1 hour ago, Pigeon Lofter said:

The last RL magazine I bought was Harry Edgars Open Rugby about 35 years ago so I was hoping for better and greater things when I popped into the main W.H Smith in Brighton yesterday for this issue.

It's not the content that was disappointing but the overall graphic design....there really needs to be a big improvement on layout, graphics,fonts...it's a particularly poor show from a design perspective.

See above.

The fewer people who buy magazines, the less money those magazines have to invest in pages, content, photography etc.

We do our best on limited resources, and a monumental amount of effort goes into producing RLW every month by a very small but dedicated team.

If we relied on people only buying one issue every 35 years, it wouldn't have lasted long enough for you to get a second copy.

1 hour ago, John Drake said:

The fewer people who buy magazines, the less money those magazines have to invest in pages, content, photography etc.

We do our best on limited resources, and a monumental amount of effort goes into producing RLW every month by a very small but dedicated team.

If we relied on people only buying one issue every 35 years, it wouldn't have lasted long enough for you to get a second copy.

I've absolutely no complaint about the content itself.....plenty in there so all's well on that front.

The presentation was the disappointment...but I understand how resources are limited and so hiring a hotshot graphic designer might be prohibitive.

Whoever is doing the layout though obviously has skill and knowledge but doesn't seem to be pushing the boundaries of artistic expression....a bit of graphic experimentation might improve the overall appearance here and there. 

On 30/01/2020 at 15:09, Pigeon Lofter said:

22 hours ago, Pigeon Lofter said:

I've absolutely no complaint about the content itself.....plenty in there so all's well on that front.

The presentation was the disappointment...but I understand how resources are limited and so hiring a hotshot graphic designer might be prohibitive.

Whoever is doing the layout though obviously has skill and knowledge but doesn't seem to be pushing the boundaries of artistic expression....a bit of graphic experimentation might improve the overall appearance here and there. 

I'm quite interested in the graphic design department,in so far as it was relatively new,to my limited knowledge,in the 1990's and Joe Lydon was associated with it,between getting himself in trouble,and then going off to the other code.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/rugby-league-lydon-at-home-wearing-a-variety-of-hats-with-slow-joe-fast-on-the-uptake-wigan-are-1428651.html

Placing club codes on the front cover  seems a sensible move to attract all club supporters;a few player images,but then that limits both space and options.

What else would you do?  For both the regular rugby league follower - and any newbies?

I just buy the magazine to read the content and should anyone ask me what was on the cover of recent issues I could not answer them....though that may be because of age;though I would blame it on stress,as I'm really very young.( The 90's was a relatives era )

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

On 30/01/2020 at 16:28, John Drake said:

Many 'fatter' magazines are just stuffed with adverts. We don't have that luxury. Our page to content ratio is far higher than many other titles on the shelves: of our 68 pages, 63 of them are original editorial content. If more people bought RLW more regularly, it could have more pages and more content. It's a vicious circle I'm afraid.

See above.

keep your chin up John, (and tell the team) you're doing a great job.

On 23/01/2020 at 11:46, John Drake said:

Digital edition is available now at www.totalrl.com/rlw or via the Rugby League World app.

Just took out a digital subscription to Rugby League World and League Express to help save the planet a bit!

Some good deals on for readers and it looks like a cracking season in store.

As said before keep up the good work team!

Archived