Rugby League World Cup 2021 Host Town/City

I have to say, like never before have I actually looked forward to a RLWC. 

So far - everything has been done really well - website up and running, informative. Draw hosted at Buckingham Palace amidst the backdrop of Prince Harry leaving, and the news that circulated.

But no, more than that. I think we have this time (from the most part) Got an excellent selection of stadia, locations, with a good balance of heartlands and expansion UK areas.

However - the following heartland teams have 3  (or 2 in Hull FC's case) mens group games hosted by them.

Assuming each of these towns hosts 'one international team' - who do you want to host, and why? - The following clubs are hosting 3 group games.

Doncaster, Hull FC, Leeds, Newcastle, Saints, Warrington, Leigh.

As a Warrington fan, I hope we get to host Tonga. With a few Tongans in our team, and the rise of the team itself, I'd love to have Tonga be our 'home team' for the tournament. Although Saints fans have just hired Kristian Woolf as their coach, so it could go either way.

If we don't get Tonga, give us PNG for their brutality, passion and unexpected uprise in skill!

Who do you want as a fan of the clubs above hosting 3 games?

As a Doncaster fan given the heritage of our CEO I'd think NZ or Fiji would be very welcome. Other than that I'd like to see either PNG or Jamaica given that we are likely to have a prominent member of each team playing for our club (Boas and Peltier). Very marketable.

Tonga or Samoa at Saints, though I don’t really mind who as I’m looking forward to seeing all the teams (with the possible exceptions of Scotland and Ireland, nothing against them but I don’t see the point in them entering other than to give people who aren’t good enough to play for England a game). 

Still think it’s a massive shame that there are no games in Cumbria though, or Wigan for that matter. 

16 hours ago, Eddie said:

Still think it’s a massive shame that there are no games in Cumbria though, or Wigan for that matter. 

Agree definately on no Cumbria presence. I know they didn't get the stadium finished, but as a sport we are not promoting a hotbed heartland here! Seems mad!

As for Botlon stadium, im no sure what the background thinking/strategy is here in response to not awarding to Wigan and their ground. Howver, they have awarded Leigh Sporting Village games in proximity....whatever you think of that. 

The Cumbria situation was taken out of their hands I guess sadly. 

Ireland v Jamaica has to be pencilled in for Leeds surely, unless Headingley will host 2 kiwis group games. 

I fully expect Middlesbrough's Australia game to be on the opening weekend to coincide with a lot of RL fans already being in the NE.

I'm disappointed about the lack of games down south and in the midlands but I understand the Northern Powerhouse funding commitment. Personally, I'd have shuffled the "3rd game" from Doncaster, Leigh, Warrington to have games in Bristol and London, but alas that was the bidding process.

12 hours ago, The British Lion said:

Agree definately on no Cumbria presence.

The Cumbrians themselves made sure that was the case.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Archived