Match Thread; pre-season friendly, Featherstone Rovers v Leeds Rhinos Friday 24th January 2020

So the final pre-season game takes place on Friday. It's clear from comments made by Richard Agar in the press that we probably won't be seeing too many of Leeds' 1st team here, but that doesn't mean their line-up won't be of interest for us. For a start, it sounds like we could see plenty of the lads who might feature for us on DR this season, and in any case Leeds have enough fringe players who are SL or high-end Championship quality that they can still field a good team, though apaprently they have been hit by illness, which had a knock-on effect on the DR options we had at Hull KR.

Hopefully we might see runouts for the likes of Ferres and Ferguson this weekend. No recent updates lately on the fitness of Carey and Render, and it will be interesting to see if Luke Briscoe plays for Leeds (which might indicate he's going to be available to us on DR if he does). Otherwise, I thought Gareth Gale took another big step forward at Hull KR, where he played on the wing and totally dominated his opposite number Ethan Ryan, twice tackling him into touch and then swatting him away to score his try.

Other positions that we don't know about in terms of the team for the starting line-up in the regular season are which DR players we use (I'd still be surprised if we don't play McLelland if he's available), and what we are going to do in terms of back-up hooker. Parata looked really, really good at Hull KR - I thought we might suffer a big drop-off at 9 following the loss of King & Jones but if he plays like that every week we'll be fine, he caused HKR real problems and will thrive on the offloading of Susino and Albert.

However, whether he's an 80-minute hooker I don't know. Looks like Bussey is the default replacement option for now as with Leeds' Corey Johnson unfit we don't have many other choices.

Looks like Harrison is earmarked for the starting right back-row slot with presumably Ferres set for the left edge and hopefully a fruitful link-up with Chisholm. That leaves Susino (who was very good again against Hull KR), Ferguson, Albert, Cooper, Bussey and Lockwood as middles, plus any DR when needed. I do think that looks a very strong pack on paper, am reasonably optimistic about the season at the moment.

I'd like to see Gaz Gale pitted against Jack Broadbent, two rising stars who could be competing for the same starting spot in the centres in the near future?

Both squads named:
https://www.featherstonerovers.co.uk/news/squad-named-for-leeds-rhinos-clash-r59Y7

Coooper, who took a knock against HKR, misses out, but Ferres, Ferguson and Worthington all might return. Still no Carey or Render.

Leeds as anticipated have named a squad consisting largely of fringe players/youngsters. Plenty of familiar names though including McLelland, Briscoe, Broadbent, Dupree, Mustapah, O'Connor etc, plus a chance to have a look at Tom Holroyd.

Leeds played a similar type of squad in this game last year and beat us narrowly after we rested a few of our senior players in the 2nd half. Hopefully will be a good run out for us anyway.

Just now, Gareth hock said:

What’s happening with Dakota Whylie hes shown on the website to still be with us but has anyone anymore information on him he hasn’t played in any friendlys surely he’s still not injured?

Think he's still not fully fit. 

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

1 hour ago, Monkeymagic22 said:

Strange that we gave him a new contract given he’s been out for so long and still isn’t ready. Let’s hope it works out ok.

I suspect that he's not far off, and I'd doubt he's getting much above pay as you play. He'll get opportunities in the joint reserves once fit to see how he goes. 

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

9 hours ago, gazza77 said:

I suspect that he's not far off, and I'd doubt he's getting much above pay as you play. He'll get opportunities in the joint reserves once fit to see how he goes. 

That would seem to be a decent shout, which would work for the lad and the club. Definitely had potential before the injury, so let’s hope he gets back to his best.

23 hours ago, Private Baldrick said:

Mmm, I thought it was the case where someone felt the pain AFTER they bent over?

What a fantastic avitar  .Looking forward to celebrating Independence day with my large family this Friday. Hope Fev can gain promotion as well in this year ?

23 hours ago, Blue Pike said:

What a fantastic avitar  .Looking forward to celebrating Independence day with my large family this Friday. Hope Fev can gain promotion as well in this year ?

Not with the word 'avitar'. Did you mean 'avatar' ?  With relation to RL that could have a connection with the ball in 'Pass Over'. Or is there some reincarnation about? Or because of Brexit are you a released soul? As we have to stick to RL have we signed a player who is very similar to a departed soul who looks as if he has returned? Or is Avitar a new word I haven't heard before?

Archived