Sam Burgess in the UK

Should we read anything into this or just a holiday to visit his brother and friends? 

The only reason I question if it is just the above is we're lead to believe to he's began this coaching role with the Bunnies, but other than a pic he posted himself I've not really seen much of him so far. opposed to John Sutton and GI who are taking very much a prominent role in a lot of sessions and it seems odd Souths would be happy for a part of their coaching staff to up sticks to the UK for what will presumably be at least a week or so right in the heart of pre-season? 

Maybe there's nothing in this but thought it was worth a discussion and/or to hear of any rumours that might be flying about. 

He won't play again.

The Rabbitohs were granted medical dispensation for the remainder of his contract for the salary cap and they are using some of this on Lattrell Mitchell. 

If he plays again that medical dispensation is lost, the Rabbitohs are over the cap and he loses his payout. 

Irrelevant of whether he is physically able to play he can't.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Theres been quite a few pictures on Souths' social media showing him being involved in the coaching. I think he is over to be at a sportsman's dinner, and may well be attending the RL Cares GB Lions event this weekend. I guess it also allows him to watch his brother play for Wigan next week too. 

4 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

He won't play again.

The Rabbitohs were granted medical dispensation for the remainder of his contract for the salary cap and they are using some of this on Lattrell Mitchell. 

If he plays again that medical dispensation is lost, the Rabbitohs are over the cap and he loses his payout. 

Irrelevant of whether he is physically able to play he can't.

Not if he plays super league imo

There was an article somewhere said he was a chance 

The infection hasn't healed in time for this year 

Just now, aj1908 said:

I can't see how that would work.

The Rabittohs got dispensation from the cap on medical grounds due to his forced retirement from injury. Surely playing anywhere would render that void? Was the article before the NRL decision on his contract payout?

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Just now, Dunbar said:

I can't see how that would work.

The Rabittohs got dispensation from the cap on medical grounds due to his forced retirement from injury. Surely playing anywhere would render that void? Was the article before the NRL decision on his contract payout?

Yes it was 

It was only speculative anyway 

4 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Only when the NRL starts again will we fully appreciate how much we miss Big Sam. Huge loss to souths , the NRL , the game and our national team . Loved watching him play , total legendary player

Honestly since he returned from union he never reached the same heights 

Even when they won the comp his season was up.and down but he saved his best game for the grand final 

Arrow will do more for south's as he's fully fit 

49 minutes ago, philipw said:

Theres been quite a few pictures on Souths' social media showing him being involved in the coaching. I think he is over to be at a sportsman's dinner, and may well be attending the RL Cares GB Lions event this weekend. I guess it also allows him to watch his brother play for Wigan next week too. 

I've seen 1 pic of him but that was a week or so ago. Compared with GI and Sutton where it's almost on the daily - I guess there's an argument to say GI been on the coaching journey a while and Sutton knew he was going into after he retired, Sam has been 'fast-tracked' for want of a better word and maybe his role isn't fully defined yet. 

1 hour ago, aj1908 said:

His shoulder is busted 

I think it needs more surgery after they found an infection 

He may be able to play next year though 

Yeah I wasn't suggesting he'd play again and certainly not this year even if he did, but he maybe be looking at longer term options and possibly sees a route into becoming a head coach easier in the UK? Like I say, these are literally just my musings but I maintain it seems odd he's been allowed to come over at this stage of preseason, unless it has a link back to Souths too? 

16 minutes ago, aj1908 said:

Honestly since he returned from union he never reached the same heights 

Even when they won the comp his season was up.and down but he saved his best game for the grand final 

Arrow will do more for south's as he's fully fit 

Each to their own opinion . Over the whole I thought he was a colossus . In a comp where as a Pom they wanna smash him , he stood up and dominated and became a talismanic figure . The grand final display alone will go down in the annals . I’d take Sam over Arrow every day and twice on Sunday’s , but that’s a moot debate now 

5 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Each to their own opinion . Over the whole I thought he was a colossus . In a comp where as a Pom they wanna smash him , he stood up and dominated and became a talismanic figure . The grand final display alone will go down in the annals . I’d take Sam over Arrow every day and twice on Sunday’s , but that’s a moot debate now 

His hands were bad.  He gave away lots of penalties.  He got suspended a lot 

What he did in 2014 was amazing.

He went to union at the peak of his powers and returned a lesser player 

Of course he was a great player but I was happy he retired.  

I wanna see south's win this year so I hope arrow comes on.board 

I wasn't too bothered about Burgess giving away a penalty or two in a game. He lived on the edge and his role in the team was to intimidate and out muscle the opposition. Something he did far more often than not.

But I think it is fair to call out his handling errors and ball security, for me this was the one aspect of his game that meant he was not one of the very very best players we have produced.

I will really miss watching him play though.

On 22/01/2020 at 13:34, aj1908 said:

Souths were able to pay off his contract because their insurance company settled on the basis of his medical issues. If he were to return to playing again then the insurance people would be asking for their money back, as would Souths.

It isn't going to happen.

As far as the OP is concerned it is never obvious how good or poor an ex-player will be as a coach until he starts doing it. Maybe, like a long list of other ex-players, he simply isn't cut out for the role.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

On 22/01/2020 at 14:39, aj1908 said:

What he did in 2014 was amazing.

He went to union at the peak of his powers and returned a lesser player 

Of course he was a great player but I was happy he retired. 

Spot on .

Sam has done a lot of media work down under, if he does not cut the mustard as a coach could he be being lined up as a Stevo like figure here on SKY . Living in Australia and jetting back for the Super League season.

Just putting it out there

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

55 minutes ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

Spot on .

Sam has done a lot of media work down under, if he does not cut the mustard as a coach could he be being lined up as a Stevo like figure here on SKY . Living in Australia and jetting back for the Super League season.

Just putting it out there

And that could be his Catch Phrase on TV.

Archived