The General 'Toronto Wolfpack' Discussion Thread

3 hours ago, dkw said:

Well this thread went as well as expected, literally no chance of a decent conversation because of the usual tedious imbeciles. And that sl17 post, wow, now that's one enormous lack of self awareness. 

Indeed, I am becoming completely disinterested in TWP.  FWIW, if Toronto waste money that's their lookout.  In other news, this season may be the one that finally confirms to me that the game is going down the plug hole as a viable entity... just how low can gates go I wonder?  (sorry, I'm off topic)

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Rupert Prince said:

Indeed, I am becoming completely disinterested in TWP.  FWIW, if Toronto waste money that's their lookout.  In other news, this season may be the one that finally confirms to me that the game is going down the plug hole as a viable entity... just how low can gates go I wonder?  (sorry, I'm off topic)

With Toronto in for London crowds should be up a lot 

And with the new club and sbw there should be higher crowds any time Toronto play in england 

12 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

Toronto fatigue aside, I have to say I feel the opposite. There are lots of positives about the game and I feel really positive. 

1 hour ago, aj1908 said:

@KayakmanPack leader this was from the other day.  The young wolf is coming to get the old wolf 

?

Screenshot_20200124-210649_Chrome.jpg

Argyle is the Pack Leader.  I'm just a vagabond WANDERING lone wolf who visits with various Packs occasionally...I go down to the old den in Toronto to relax the odd time.

You are in competition with the wrong canine my friend.

4 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Sure but it gives some insight into what other clubs think about TWP’s pleas for help with their salary cap problems/recruitment mismanagement.

Its a good job those clubs have never been selfish and insular, and always put the game first in all situations......hmmmm

17 minutes ago, dkw said:

Its a good job those clubs have never been selfish and insular, and always put the game first in all situations......hmmmm

yeh like taking the TV money they never gave toronto and using it on juniors or something that will benefit the game.

The search for tomorrow’s stars: how Toronto are trying to create Canadian rugby players of the future despite their critics

"It's only been three years. It will take time, but I hope rugby league people will see that there's a process going on. Stick with us."

View the full article

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

The other one was a worthy point of discussion but people won't pick up on it now. A little like the other day there were a couple of prominent fans bemoaning the fact that Canadian players count on the overseas quota so it was another example of unfair treatment and a reason why they have no Canadians. I provided a link which showed it was untrue. 

True like this?

“We signed six players in year one to play in League One,” Noble recalls. “Three were Canadians, a Jamaican and two Americans. The issues with visas meant they couldn’t play with us, they couldn’t be dual-registered and they were effectively gone from the game. We had to un-sign them and tear up the professional contracts we handed them because we simply couldn’t play them. Because of the rules, we couldn’t give them opportunities. We’re swimming against the tide in that regard.”

7 minutes ago, John Drake said:

The search for tomorrow’s stars: how Toronto are trying to create Canadian rugby players of the future despite their critics

"It's only been three years. It will take time, but I hope rugby league people will see that there's a process going on. Stick with us."

View the full article

what an excellent article.

it would be good if argyle or noble could do one of those Q and A things.  im sure the interest would be high.

the most interesting bit was how NFL discards werent good enough for league one.  

5 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

True like this?

“We signed six players in year one to play in League One,” Noble recalls. “Three were Canadians, a Jamaican and two Americans. The issues with visas meant they couldn’t play with us, they couldn’t be dual-registered and they were effectively gone from the game. We had to un-sign them and tear up the professional contracts we handed them because we simply couldn’t play them. Because of the rules, we couldn’t give them opportunities. We’re swimming against the tide in that regard.”

We also used to only get 3 points for a try. 

You were claiming I'll treatment over something that you were wrong about. 

39 minutes ago, dkw said:

Why is it fair game to bash the other 11 clubs but everyone gets pissy when TWP get criticism. 

The clubs in SL do a lot of great work with not masses of raw materials. 

16 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

True like this?

So again, they didn't plan ahead, find out what they could and couldn't do and somehow it is somebody else's fault? 

I want Toronto to succeed but they are doing themselves no favours in the PR department lately.

1 minute ago, LR23 said:

So again, they didn't plan ahead, find out what they could and couldn't do and somehow it is somebody else's fault? 

I want Toronto to succeed but they are doing themselves no favours in the PR department lately.

your reply bears no relevance at all to what he posted.

did you even read it?  its a quote from the article above.

3 minutes ago, aj1908 said:

your reply bears no relevance at all to what he posted.

did you even read it?  its a quote from the article above.

He referenced it as an example of 'unfair treatment' - did you read it? I'm sure Kayakman is capable of responding himself as well.

37 minutes ago, Dave T said:

You were claiming I'll treatment over something that you were wrong about. 

Incorrect.

21 minutes ago, LR23 said:

After I read your point this is the immediate thought which entered my head, "He doesn't understand that this is all BRAND NEW and , in many respects, making it up as we go.....  there is a fluid dynamic to the Wolfpack...you can sense it in the crowd when you go there.....there are no rules or guidebooks for what we are doing......

not blaming nobody for nothing......

just looking for a bi of co operation is all."

-thats what I thought.?

6 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

Incorrect.

After I read your point this is the immediate thought which entered my head, "He doesn't understand that this is all BRAND NEW and , in many respects, making it up as we go.....  there is a fluid dynamic to the Wolfpack...you can sense it in the crowd when you go there.....there are no rules or guidebooks for what we are doing......

-thats what I thought.?

Yeah how dare TWP make some of the mistakes over their first 3yrs that Heartland clubs have been making for decades.

1 minute ago, Kayakman said:

Incorrect.

-thats what I thought.?

I get that to a point but then again Noble references visa's - the rules for those are laid out for all to see. You'd also think he'd have ironed the details before actually signing those players.

I do agree you've had the short end of the stick over a few issues but at the same time TWP have made a few mistakes themselves. Just my opinion but I'd be more willing to cooperate (if I was actually making the decisions) if TWP were a bit more honest about that - they might be behind closed doors of course, we don't know.

1 hour ago, aj1908 said:

what an excellent article.

it would be good if argyle or noble could do one of those Q and A things.  im sure the interest would be high.

the most interesting bit was how NFL discards werent good enough for league one.  

Bear in mind those weren't NFL players, they were former high school and college players who had missed out on a pro opportunity in gridiron.  Few (if any) would have played on a top NCAA team and how much exposure they'd had to RL before they tried out for the Wolfpack isn't clear.

3 minutes ago, LR23 said:

I get that to a point but then again Noble references visa's - the rules for those are laid out for all to see. You'd also think he'd have ironed the details before actually signing those players.

I do agree you've had the short end of the stick over a few issues but at the same time TWP have made a few mistakes themselves. Just my opinion but I'd be more willing to cooperate (if I was actually making the decisions) if TWP were a bit more honest about that - they might be behind closed doors of course, we don't know.

We are currently being honest!...that is exactly what we are doing!...I don't think this level of disclosure is common over there....we are more open and forthright in Canada... it seems.

1 minute ago, Big Picture said:

Bear in mind those weren't NFL players, they were former high school and college players who had missed out on a pro opportunity in gridiron.  Few (if any) would have been from a top NCAA team and how much exposure they'd had to RL before they tried out for the Wolfpack isn't clear.

Noble doesn't seem to think it will be a source for players.  Similarly for rugby union players from Canada.  

2 minutes ago, aj1908 said:

Noble doesn't seem to think it will be a source for players.  Similarly for rugby union players from Canada.  

As with past RU converts some could make it, others not.  Ryan Burroughs was a running back and wide receiver in high school and the Jacksonville Axemen's Akarika Dawn was a linebacker at NCAA Power Five school Colorado.

6 hours ago, Oxford said:

Why did you call them this?

5 hours ago, Tommygilf said:
5 hours ago, Oxford said:

What question??? Your post replied to itself

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

3 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

It was true originally though, up until last year

And also still is true of teams who arent Toronto. So what do Toronto do if they have a fringe Canadian player? He cant go out on loan or dual reg without counting on the quota.

With regards to Torontos first team squad, it is as large as other first team squads. They just dont have the youngsters earning nothing filling the other spots.

You tell him Scotchy!...he never listens to me.

Archived