The General 'Toronto Wolfpack' Discussion Thread

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, PatrickB said:

What a load of rubbish. Yes... rubbish!

Beer the #1 attraction? 
Is a team selling beer at a sporting event a novel idea to you.

Just because we do it better than other teams, doesn't take away from the product on the field that has also been top notch for the levels we've been in for 3 years.

Also, I've paid to go to every home game for 3 years.

It's one thing to have an opinion, but you don't get to create the facts.

Maybe spend more time focusing working on your teams deficiencies, whoever than may be, than putting down a team that has been extremely successful, given it's only 3 years old.

There has always been a weird thing in RL where people have criticised RU for example saying fans are there for the corporate part, or the car park boozing rather than the sport. They rather missed the point that making the package around the match desirable is the way to go. 

It is how a club can go from not existing to 10k fans in 3 years. There is this weird thing that RL is a good enough sport to not have to make an effort, when all the evidence says otherwise. 

When I go to any sporting event it is part of a day out, I expect decent food and drink, decent facilities and good service as well as the actual sport. 

Enjoy your Rugby and good luck this season!

6 hours ago, PatrickB said:

It's one thing to have an opinion, but you don't get to create the facts.

I think you'll find that on every thread, on every part of the forum that's just what people are doing.

But I like your post.

Didn't Yorkshire Prose have a poem about people needing to cheer up a bit?

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

3 hours ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

Mate, I’ve been watching Broncos since the first time I moved to London in 1999. As one of the many heartlands supporters who went along, it started as a way to get the fix whilst I’d I’m honest not committing to the cause. But you get sucked in eventually - the highs and the lows. Two key things I learned versus my original love of sitting in the Millward Stand at Rervers...

1. Up north people take for granted how embedded the club already is in the community. From a get people to games perspective, but also from a talent pipeline perspective. Broncos had to create everything from scratch, sometimes appallingly, sometimes with some success. But I got a new found humility comparing Rovers’ crowds of born-and-breds with every hard-won ticket sales (or even persuading a mate to come for free when not in their culture)...

> Toronto have bloody nailed this, it’s amazing, and as a marketer and business leader by day I can’t begin to describe how impressed I am. Paid tickets, memberships and junior programmes will follow this awareness. If only Fulham and various incarnations had this platform in Year 4. 

2. With London, Rugby League missed a huge opportunity (especially pre 1995 when teams like Sarries and Wasps played in parks) to support the new team from the core. A little disproportionate investment from the centre then, and the world would be very different now. The Americans are the worlds best at creating and building sports businesses in new markets, and they all - to the last one - take a “whole sport” approach to market expansion. And even then it doesn’t always work; but it does more often 

> Toronto are being even more left out on a limb than London. It’s comical. We don’t even let them have their share, their equal share, of the TV money. Despite them inevitably being a strong draw for audiences in 2020. Let alone provide any other central strategy or support.

As a London fan I’m amazed you lack empathy for their position. Watching the usual small-minded people bash Toronto whilst these days suddenly being more generous to London (there’s a new “other” in town) depresses the hell out of me.

As ever, our great game, whose rules have evolved to a phenomenal customer experience through the fire of 125 years’ battle for paying eyeballs, continues to shoot itself in the foot when someone actually comes along with a structural idea that might provide the potential of a step-change... how depressing 

Great post.

34 minutes ago, NOS4A2 said:

Are Toronto Wolfpack Marketing team streets ahead of anyone else in the game? Quite Possibly.

Does this make them a Major club? Not at all.

Could other SL clubs learn from the match day experience at Lamport? Absolutely.

Can the wolfpack learn from the other clubs about staying under the cap...you bet they can!

It wouldn't surprise me to see 5 or so players being shipped in from the NSW cup with a dispensation on finance as well as overseas quota. If this does happen and a club like Wakefield or Huddersfield or god forbid HKR go down as a result of this, expect the court cases to go on for a few years.

Before you jump on the "give them time" bandwagon, ask yourself how much you are willing to sell the game's soul for. Argyle is trying to buy it and we're letting him.

Cool, none of that is related to any of my post. 

28 minutes ago, NOS4A2 said:

I've not created any facts. Just quoted the realities. 

Never said you did just said it's rife, not unusal and part of the make up of the forum.

image.png.3e08b5e64b5dd7ab9abe435806d0bbd1.png

And now for the health warning

Devoted football fans experience 'dangerous' levels of stress, suggests study

"Dr. Martha Newson, a researcher at the Centre for the Study of Social Cohesion at Oxford, said: "Fans who are strongly fused with their team - that is, have a strong sense of being 'one' with their team - experience the greatest physiological stress response when watching a match, Fans who are more casual supporters also experience stress but not so extremely."

So "Blow That Whistle Ref!"

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

1 hour ago, NOS4A2 said:

Are Toronto Wolfpack Marketing team streets ahead of anyone else in the game? Quite Possibly.

Could other SL clubs learn from the match day experience at Lamport? Absolutely.

Can the wolfpack learn from the other clubs about staying under the cap...you bet they can!

It wouldn't surprise me to see 5 or so players being shipped in from the NSW cup with a dispensation on finance as well as overseas quota. If this does happen and a club like Wakefield or Huddersfield or god forbid HKR go down as a result of this, expect the court cases to go on for a few years.

Before you jump on the "give them time" bandwagon, ask yourself how much you are willing to sell the game's soul for. Argyle is trying to buy it and we're letting him.

Really!

The major club thing again.

Clearly, if creating a big game atmosphere was easy, they would have done it. What Tontonto could learn from other clubs regarding staying under the salary cap is that it is far easier if you are based in the north of England. A lesson you dismiss as whinging.

Here is a very basic but important point. A little bit of theology for you. A game does not actually have a soul. It has your sentimental attachment about what the game represents to you. That is different, but reality will not change because you are butt hurt.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

3 minutes ago, NOS4A2 said:

Toronto have bought their way to safety....Huddersfield probably

And I look forward to buying the league eventually as well! Heaven forbid a team gets to pay for the best players available

Jeeze some might start to call it a professional sport or something

53 minutes ago, NOS4A2 said:

What exactly is your problem with them spending money and why do you care so much? Any other club would do it if they had the resources.

It's getting tiresome.

9 minutes ago, NOS4A2 said:

No. It related to the post you were responding to.

In terms of your post, you are correct that the "event" is as important as the game if not more so and as a sport we have a lot to learn from others.

The post you were referencing was one that was responding to my claim that they are not a major club and that the beer festival and free tickets are an important part of their marketing. I was told I was talking "rubbish" and "creating facts", which I wasn't because Toronto have freely admitted that the beer garden and free tickets are a major part of their marketing.

As is often the case in debates such as this, various threads merge and diverge, but the reality is that Toronto are a side who play some games out of Canada, are bankrolled 100% by their rich owner, are very VERY good at the PR and Marketing stuff, but not so good at squad management or cap management. They are in SL because they spent ca$21,000,000 getting there, which is more than the 23 sides they played over 3 years spent collectively in that time. This does't make them a Major Club

They are a new club finding their way. They are doing some good things, and some less good things. Like everyone. Whether a club is a major club or even a big club is an abstract thing and I have little interest in it. 

For years as a Wire fan we have been told that we aren't one of the Big 4, yet Bradford are. It is all meaningless titles that are subjective and a case can be made either way. 

1 minute ago, TboneFromTO said:

And I look forward to buying the league eventually as well! Heaven forbid a team gets to pay for the best players available

Jeeze some might start to call it a professional sport or something

Considering the origin of the sport, it is amazing how many rugby league fans object to professionalism.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Just now, Omott91 said:

What exactly is your problem with them spending money and why do you care so much? Any other club would do it if they had the resources.

It's getting tiresome.

This ain't a TWP thing, they are just the latest to feel the wrath of this weird concept that you somehow have to be a 'pure' club not corrupted by money. 

I'm a Wire and Man City fan and fans of clubs who have always been richer get upset when things start to change. Warrington not being the poor relation like we were when I started watching in the late 80s grates on some people. 

Just now, Dave T said:

This ain't a TWP thing, they are just the latest to feel the wrath of this weird concept that you somehow have to be a 'pure' club not corrupted by money. 

I'm a Wire and Man City fan and fans of clubs who have always been richer get upset when things start to change. Warrington not being the poor relation like we were when I started watching in the late 80s grates on some people. 

People want their youth back and are upset that times are changing.

Just now, Bob8 said:

People want their youth back and are upset that times are changing.

I want my youth back also Bob. I don't want the teams I supported back, both Wire and City were under-achievers! 

19 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

Really!

The major club thing again.

Clearly, if creating a big game atmosphere was easy, they would have done it. What Tontonto could learn from other clubs regarding staying under the salary cap is that it is far easier if you are based in the north of England. A lesson you dismiss as whinging.

Here is a very basic but important point. A little bit of theology for you. A game does not actually have a soul. It has your sentimental attachment about what the game represents to you and your sentimental attachment to it. That is different, but reality will not change because you are butt hurt.

they are a major rugby club by north american standards.  hasnt union been around for a century?  well the wolfpack as the new version of rugby trump those.

the crowds in super league will be even better.  they really need a bigger ground to cater for their growth.

they have signed the most famous rugby player in the world across both rugby codes.

SBW was so excited to play for the wolfpack that he took time out in his preparation for a union world cup final to meet with the wolfpack people.

and they get loads of media.

this club is a major player.

and the kind of money they can offer a player cant be matched by any other rugby club worldwide.

it would be funny if the wolfpack were allowed further dispensation on their cap and they gutted the english union team

33 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I want my youth back also Bob. I don't want the teams I supported back, both Wire and City were under-achievers! 

There should be a little flow chart for posting on this forum:

Are you against something new?
- If yes...

Are you over thirty five?
- If yes...

Are you making same rational arguments?
- If yes....

Really?
- No, actually they are pretty stupid, but I am outraged and it is all wrong and people do not get it!

What has then happened is the modern world has left you (not you personally @Dave T) behind and you are upset at that.

35 minutes ago, Dave T said:

It's always amazed me that an individual taking a club into debt is deemed acceptable but God forbid someone put there own cash into a club to take them above their "level", what are they playing at, that's not rugby league. 

We will not allow this thread to become a troll’s paradise. 

if you just want to bang on endlessly about how much you hate Toronto, and relentlessly criticise everything the club does in order to inflame it’s supporters who post on here, making the same points over and over and over again until you drive rational people away, get this message: you are not welcome on this forum.

One person has now been banned for the above behaviour. Others will follow if they indulge in the same activity.

For the record, it’s no longer worth responding to any post made by ‘NOS4A2’ because they are no longer a member of this forum.

Anyone who has any issues with this, please PM or email me to discuss privately. I don’t want this thread dragging off topic into a discussion on the forum rules either.

Stick to discussing Toronto Wolfpack, in a rational and even handed manner.

Thanks.

14 hours ago, JDINTHEHIZZOUSE said:

im torn on the dispensation issue,where do others stand? I want twp to stay up,but could they maybe be given dispensation just for this season?my thoughts are that they spent way too much on contracts last year to get promoted and are now stuck with the contracted players,which plays a big part in this issue. If they are given the leeway for this season,would it be a % of the cap? or could another solution be to let them sign say,another 7 players on a 1 year contract?

It comes back to what the salary cap is for.

If is it to give the traditional clubs the best possible chance, then there can be no dispensation - thems the rules.

If it is to lessen (to the forum thickies - that does not mean eliminate) the chance of clubs going bankrupt, then it is arguable.

If it is to give an even chance, there must be dispensation as being in Canada is a major disadvantage.

3 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

It comes back to what the salary cap is for.

If is it to give the traditional clubs the best possible chance, then there can be no dispensation - thems the rules.

If it is to lessen (to the forum thickies - that does not mean eliminate) the chance of clubs going bankrupt, then it is arguable.

If it is to give an even chance, there must be dispensation as being in Canada is a major disadvantage.

And what if it is to suppress wage inflation.....?

6 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

I would say that fits in with clubs not bankrupting themselves.

8 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

to be fair thats not applicable in super league given union and nrl offer much higher wages.

its what bob8 says above.  keeping wages affordable given the games income

Archived