The General 'Toronto Wolfpack' Discussion Thread

1 minute ago, Oxford said:

I didn't say TWP should be given the keys to the Universe Kayakman, but there should be some discussion if we can avoid all the usual from the conservative element in our sport from spoiling it all, yet again.

I say if you need to fix something you fix it right so you don't have to go back later...no more of theses RFL band aid solutions please...I've seen enough of them already.

Give US the tools and We will finish the job!

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

I say if you need to fix something you fix it right so you don't have to go back later...no more of theses RFL band aid solutions please...I've seen enough of them already.

There is much in what you say, and you've only been around for very few of those band aids, so go easy.

No club, even an expansion dream like TWP should have carte blanche but some adjustment needs to be sorted and done well and quickly.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

5 minutes ago, Oxford said:

There is much in what you say, and you've only been around for very few of those band aids, so go easy.

No club, even an expansion dream like TWP should have carte blanche but some adjustment needs to be sorted and done well and quickly.

We want that white card for once...not the yellow card or the red card...we want the white card (just for a little while; we promise we won't rack it up; promise!"

8 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

We want that white card for once...not the yellow card or the red card...we want the white card (just for a little while; we promise we won't rack it up; promise!"

You've seen our government and you're expecting us to have any trust left, be your age Kayakman!

There's still plenty of room for adapting without being silly!

#Run With the Pack!

image.png.d3bbaff100bc967db983a5875886f0ce.png

When they're not playing the Red Devils!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

11 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

We'll see just how many yellow and red cards you lot get over the next season! Toronto might be very good at most things but i would bet we will get carded more than you will! ?

1 hour ago, dkw said:

Leigh fans infatuation and hatred of all things Toronto is so weirdly extreme, I looked on rlfans and its borderline psychotic on there. Many people on here put across there dislike or scepticism really well with thought out reasoning. Leigh fans though, just garbage whataboutery and made up nonsense. 

Be fair,did you go on THAT site before or after the pubs in leigh opened???

2 hours ago, dkw said:

Leigh fans infatuation and hatred of all things Toronto is so weirdly extreme, I looked on rlfans and its borderline psychotic on there. Many people on here put across there dislike or scepticism really well with thought out reasoning. Leigh fans though, just garbage whataboutery and made up nonsense. 

Would that borderline psychotic be someone familiar to us here before he got the boot?

Never mind, I see it's answered further along. 

2 hours ago, Kayakman said:

Ooo, I like that last line

1 hour ago, Oxford said:

You've seen our government and you're expecting us to have any trust left, be your age Kayakman!

There's still plenty of room for adapting without being silly!

#Run With the Pack!

image.png.d3bbaff100bc967db983a5875886f0ce.png

When they're not playing the Red Devils!

I wonder who'd win if the Salford Red Devils played the Wake Forest Demon Deacons?

Regarding the cost of living in Toronto vs that along the M62: a thing that no one has brought up is the exchange rate.

Right now £1 = $1.72C. TWP players are paid in pounds, so when they are here they are, as the saying goes, getting a lot more bang for the buck.

Which leads to another problem for the Wolfpack. Most of their expenses are paid in  British pounds but most of their revenues are in Canadian dollars.

I realize this is Argyle's problem and he surely considered it when he started out but exchange rates are variable and when you're talking in terms of tens of millions that can add up to quite a lot. Just another unique situation TWP have to deal with.

1 minute ago, TIWIT said:

Regarding the cost of living in Toronto vs that along the M62: a thing that no one has brought up is the exchange rate.

Right now £1 = $1.72C. TWP players are paid in pounds, so when they are here they are, as the saying goes, getting a lot more bang for the buck.

Which leads to another problem for the Wolfpack. Most of their expenses are paid in  British pounds but most of their revenues are in Canadian dollars.

I realize this is Argyle's problem and he surely considered it when he started out but exchange rates are variable and when you're talking in terms of tens of millions that can add up to quite a lot. Just another unique situation TWP have to deal with.

Well we are just going to have to lower the cost of living in Toronto to suit some of the flat cap posters on here...I'll contact the Mayor right away....it will be easily done.

6 minutes ago, TIWIT said:

I might be completely making this up but I'm pretty sure I read a few years ago that Catalans had this problem in that the salary cap for them was in euros and was set at the exchange rate to the cap in pounds but it didn't get adjusted with the fluctuation in the exchange rate which meant that the cap for Catalans was actually lower. Something like that.

4 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I might be completely making this up but I'm pretty sure I read a few years ago that Catalans had this problem in that the salary cap for them was in euros and was set at the exchange rate to the cap in pounds but it didn't get adjusted with the fluctuation in the exchange rate which meant that the cap for Catalans was actually lower. Something like that.

Another possible extra cost for the Wolfpack is tax equalization. The team payroll wants to make sure players tax deductions don't increase too much when they start playing in Canada (or the other way around, not sure which country is taxed at the highest rate). If the team pays part of the players taxes this becomes salary, you reach the cap faster than UK based team.

10 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Have you spoken to any of them ?

Yes. Many of them. Met a  number of their wives/partners. I've even met Ricky Leutele's twins. The Aus/NZ boys had their families over for a few weeks last summer.

2 minutes ago, Loup said:

Yes. Many of them. Met a  number of their wives/partners. I've even met Ricky Leutele's twins. The Aus/NZ boys had their families over for a few weeks last summer.

I don't think many of the posters fully appreciate how much of a family aspect there is to the Wolfpack: both players and fans.

I bet there is a far higher per centage of children and mothers at the Wolfpack games than any other in SL...when i see the crowds overseas there are some kids but not many women and a lot of middle/old aged white guys.  Not like that at the Wolfpack games.

When you think of family think of the Wolfpack.

Why should the RFL be criticised because TWP now want to be able to have their salary cap raised?

These matters get discussed between the club owners,in Super League,and Toronto Wolfpack have been in Super League since October 2019.

The matter should have been brought to the attention of the relevant parties long before it was recently mentioned.

Lack of communication isn't just one way...

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

9 minutes ago, Angelic Cynic said:

Why should the RFL be criticised because TWP now want to be able to have their salary cap raised?

These matters get discussed between the club owners,in Super League,and Toronto Wolfpack have been in Super League since October 2019.

The matter should have been brought to the attention of the relevant parties long before it was recently mentioned.

Lack of communication isn't just one way...

Damn right....and why its there only a 5% dispensation being offered...that is not near enough for a big club like the  Wolfpack...these people can't be serious....we need at least 20%.

The matter was brought up by the Wolfpack long ago...

This lack of communication from the RFL is simply  ridiculous.

7 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

Damn right....and why its there only a 5% dispensation being offered...that is not near enough for a big club like the  Wolfpack...these people can't be serious....we need at least 20%.

The matter was brought up by the Wolfpack long ago...

This lack of communication from the RFL is simply  ridiculous.

Right on. If everyone is playing by the same rules, then where is the TWP tv money? and why are they still flying teams over? they should have a much bigger dispensation to compensate for this.

4 minutes ago, ojx said:

Right on. If everyone is playing by the same rules, then where is the TWP tv money? and why are they still flying teams over? they should have a much bigger dispensation to compensate for this.

Toronto own the north American tv rights for their games so the TV money issue is within their own control. If they can negotiate a good deal they could get more than any of the other clubs recieve in central funding which was the trade off.

I think 10% dispensation in line with London would be fairer, but 5% is more likely to get the go ahead from other clubs at this late stage so I can see SL's position on this. Either way, it's a bit farcical this wasn't sorted months ago. At this point they basically have a gun to their head and some clubs are in a no win situation - either they approve the dispensation potentially at their own expense, or they risk a few injuries at Toronto derailing what is a critical season in terms of securing a new TV deal.

Without any new faces Toronto are very likely to go into at least one game without 17 players due to the injuries that typically occur during the average season. If the dispensation does go through they need to make it go as far as possible and get at least 3/4 fringe players to cover.

Archived