The General 'Toronto Wolfpack' Discussion Thread

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, LeytherRob said:

Toronto own the north American tv rights for their games so the TV money issue is within their own control. If they can negotiate a good deal they could get more than any of the other clubs recieve in central funding which was the trade off.

Sky owns the TV rights. TWP have to negotiate a payment to Sky for those rights first before they can resell them. Sky clearly wants more for them than TWP are willing to pay - they'd probably have to underwrite broadcast costs too - so for their first year in SL no TV.

For now.

43 minutes ago, ojx said:

Right on. If everyone is playing by the same rules, then where is the TWP tv money? and why are they still flying teams over? they should have a much bigger dispensation to compensate for this.

Costs of travel for other teams are nowt to do with level of the salary cap.

7 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I might be completely making this up but I'm pretty sure I read a few years ago that Catalans had this problem in that the salary cap for them was in euros and was set at the exchange rate to the cap in pounds but it didn't get adjusted with the fluctuation in the exchange rate which meant that the cap for Catalans was actually lower. Something like that.

It was an issue for Les Cats because they live IN France , therefore actually spend euro's most of the year 

2 hours ago, Loup said:

Yes. Many of them. Met a  number of their wives/partners. I've even met Ricky Leutele's twins. The Aus/NZ boys had their families over for a few weeks last summer.

Excellent , was this during the run of ten home games ?

2 hours ago, Kayakman said:

I don't think many of the posters fully appreciate how much of a family aspect there is to the Wolfpack: both players and fans.

I bet there is a far higher per centage of children and mothers at the Wolfpack games than any other in SL...when i see the crowds overseas there are some kids but not many women and a lot of middle/old aged white guys.  Not like that at the Wolfpack games.

When you think of family think of the Wolfpack.

Have you been to a RL game in the UK ?

1 hour ago, ojx said:

Right on. If everyone is playing by the same rules, then where is the TWP tv money? and why are they still flying teams over? they should have a much bigger dispensation to compensate for this.

I agree on TV money , to a degree in travel costs , dispensation for the obvious long serving and club development , even when they one day all actually operate out of Canada , but Sonny Bill is living in a house 4 miles from where I'm posting right now 

2 hours ago, Kayakman said:

I don't think many of the posters fully appreciate how much of a family aspect there is to the Wolfpack: both players and fans.

I bet there is a far higher per centage of children and mothers at the Wolfpack games than any other in SL...when i see the crowds overseas there are some kids but not many women and a lot of middle/old aged white guys.  Not like that at the Wolfpack games.

When you think of family think of the Wolfpack.

Compared to other sports in the UK rugby league is celebrated as being a family sport. Take us for example, the kcom is in a park and for weekend games we always out on a fanzone with rides for the kids and other child orientated activities, generally a small fairground type thing for a couple hours before the game, even had some people from the local bird sanctuary come with some birds of prey once. Got me some pics with the owls! ?

28 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

DKW's infatuation and hatred with all things Leigh is extremely wierd ?

Nowhere near as weird as the general obsession everyone from Leigh seems to have for Toronto.

53 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Costs of travel for other teams are nowt to do with level of the salary cap.

So you openly admit that Toronto is getting screwed on MULTIPLE fronts.

This discrimination against Toronto has got to stop!

Won't be long now...until some come on here making excuses why Castleford will lose to Toronto....let me guess/injuries?  And them with 30 and us with only 22.

.I see Schoefield has picked Castleford by 16...how long the list of excuses will be.

The Pack is sick of waiting...its been too long between kills.....we are hungry...VERY VERY HUNGRY!

Poor Castleford.

"Run With The Pack!"

36 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

I agree on TV money , to a degree in travel costs , dispensation for the obvious long serving and club development , even when they one day all actually operate out of Canada , but Sonny Bill is living in a house 4 miles from where I'm posting right now 

WOW!  This Leigh obsession with the Wolfpack Gubs.... its gotta stop...its not good for ya....don't go near the house...please don't......

12 minutes ago, TIWIT said:

Nowhere near as weird as the general obsession everyone from Leigh seems to have for Toronto.

Us Leythers have always had an interest in the wider game , especially the bit between the gap between the top tier and the one below , it is an area of the sport we have occupied for quite a while in the recent history , that obviously spills over into the other clubs who are also occupying that area of the game , when you've moved up to the top echelons of SL we'll lose interest , others will fill that void 

Just now, GUBRATS said:

Then why suggest that families don't attend games ?

I hardly saw any kids at the game I was at...you think thats alot of kids?   ....come to Lamport for a game Old Chum...I mean it...its like an elementary school recess hour at our games....and women too...have we got women....

50 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Maybe you need some dispensation GUBRATs.

Just now, Marty Funkhouser said:

That is because one of the teams , from an entirely different continent,  applied to join a sporting competition several time zones away. 

Only on the Total Insane RL forum could anyone think that is surprising.

TWP is a bizarre concept, but once SL agreed to let them in, it should be on the level.

1 minute ago, Marty Funkhouser said:

No problem, "the level" is home and away each week starting February...and a salary cap that applies to each member club...amongst many other things.

They are playing "home" and away in February. London had 10% dispensation, so it is not he same for each member.

Archived