The General 'Toronto Wolfpack' Discussion Thread

2 minutes ago, LR23 said:

That's the way to win people over. Too many pro expansionists/pro Toronto who even offer the slightest criticism against Toronto are labelled 'anti-Toronto' these days. 

I like the Canadian players dispensation idea - if that had been put forward I imagine It would have been much more widely accepted/supported. 

Aye, there is a rather clear reason why this isn't being pushed as the solution for their problem. They need 4 or 5 bodies to get through this season, and it would be a challenge to find them in Canada.

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Aye, there is a rather clear reason why this isn't being pushed as the solution for their problem. They need 4 or 5 bodies to get through this season, and it would be a challenge to find them in Canada.

I know but we are a bit thick apparently so maybe we are missing something? Anyway, if the first proposal gets refused this could possibly be a compromise - 2.5% increase and then space for 2/3 Canadians exempt from the cap if they can find them? Better than nothing and at least signals that they are serious about development which triggers a lot of people.

On 28/01/2020 at 23:20, Gerrumonside ref said:

Seems bad that, I thought the Skolars had a relationship too with the Wolfpack?

Maybe some form of compensation can be agreed?

But why would a club put trust in an RU outfit?  Seems more of a gamble than anything else, bordering on stupid.

5 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

But why would a club put trust in an RU outfit?  Seems more of a gamble than anything else, bordering on stupid.

Whilst it is poor, I am pretty happy that we won't be staging an SL game at Saracens. 

20 minutes ago, Dave T said:

That’s the bottom line and it would be a shame to see the TWP effort fail because of it.  Still, it would be self induced imo.

On the other point, it appears to be a different kind of relationship between codes in Canada.  

All this talk of allowing TWP to carry a few Canadians on the bench ignores one pertinent fact: there aren't any Cdns who are good enough. Brian Noble conducted his own search in the early days of the club and found no one.

And if people are concerned about SBW getting into game form these guys would be totally at sea. If it ever got to the point whereby one of them got close to seeing game action then the season will already be lost.

28 minutes ago, Dave T said:

That is the kind of challenge they should be taking on, if they are serious about developing Canadian players.

2 minutes ago, TIWIT said:

All this talk of allowing TWP to carry a few Canadians on the bench ignores one pertinent fact: there aren't any Cdns who are good enough. Brian Noble conducted his own search in the early days of the club and found no one.

But that is catch 22, if they don't expose Canadian players, they will never be good enough.

I thought that as it stands Canadians count as overseas players, which makes it very difficult for TWP to recruit them. This is why they let Rhys Jacks go.

55 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

I've been saying it since the start  but some of them are so thick they won't/can't  understand....some of the anti Toronto posters on here are a few clowns short of a circus.

I have an issue with the ' cost of living ' dispensation , but do feel they are being disadvantaged by the long server and club produced exceptions , as obviously they just haven't been around for long enough to make use of them 

8 minutes ago, TIWIT said:

There must be a few decent Canadians playing in the major RU comps. I’m sure there’s been some playing for the Welsh clubs in the Celtic league (or whatever it’s called).

30 minutes ago, ojx said:

That is the kind of challenge they should be taking on, if they are serious about developing Canadian players.

Yes I agree, and I think its a decent enough idea, but it won't fix that short term issue right now. 

2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Yes I agree, and I think its a decent enough idea, but it won't fix that short term issue right now. 

Entirely correct.

But on second thought, I can see the point of resigning Quinn Ngawati and several others to a 'taxi squad'. They could practice with the main squad - SBW would be a fantastic teacher for this, knowing both codes as well as he does - and help them make the transition from the dark side.

I don't believe TWP wants to step on the toes of the Arrows and poach any of their players but there are lots of good amateur RU players just around Toronto alone who could be signed relatively cheaply to follow the dream. Except for that pesky salary cap...

20 minutes ago, TIWIT said:

Entirely correct.

But on second thought, I can see the point of resigning Quinn Ngawati and several others to a 'taxi squad'. They could practice with the main squad - SBW would be a fantastic teacher for this, knowing both codes as well as he does - and help them make the transition from the dark side.

I don't believe TWP wants to step on the toes of the Arrows and poach any of their players but there are lots of good amateur RU players just around Toronto alone who could be signed relatively cheaply to follow the dream. Except for that pesky salary cap...

Sign two RU players and they are cap free this year. 

So, no overseas quota, no cap limitations, what are you waiting for? :kolobok_biggrin:

I too find it hard to believe that there's literally nobody, who could do an adequate job at filling the bottom of the depth chart for a few games, anywhere in Canada. Surely some the guys in the Marshall Prem or BC league would be worth a gamble.

What about Aussies with Canadian passports?

1 hour ago, ojx said:

But that is catch 22, if they don't expose Canadian players, they will never be good enough.

I thought that as it stands Canadians count as overseas players, which makes it very difficult for TWP to recruit them. This is why they let Rhys Jacks go.

Rhys Jacks isn't Canadian, he's an Aussie who qualifies to play for Canada as a heritage player.

1 hour ago, Man of Kent said:

There must be a few decent Canadians playing in the major RU comps. I’m sure there’s been some playing for the Welsh clubs in the Celtic league (or whatever it’s called).

The Wolfpack can't afford any of those Canadians with the low SL salary cap.  Three years ago the average player salary in the Pro14 was reportedly 170,000 £.  30 players at that average would cost 5.1 million £.

If a UK based SL team picked up a lower league union player who's never played RL before and threw them into a first team game there would be uproar about player welfare and just generally how ridiculous an idea it would be.

Yet seemingly this is what Toronto should be doing to 'fill their depth chart'. It's hard not to assume an alterior motive with some of these recent posts.

Cuckoo land stuff.

1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

I have an issue with the ' cost of living ' dispensation , but do feel they are being disadvantaged by the long server and club produced exceptions , as obviously they just haven't been around for long enough to make use of them 

Finally catching up...at least you are running....some of the others are a few fries short of a Happy Meal.

Just now, Man of Kent said:

Here’s an idea. It’s a bit radical but bear me out. 

Why doesn’t Toronto stop paying way over the odds for players and manage their salary cap better?

The wheel is spinning but the hamster is dead.

7 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

New Talent dispensation, innit

That's only for the first year though, in the second year they count at 50% of what they're being paid and if they've been getting anywhere close to that 170,000 £ they won't come for significantly less than that.

Archived