The General 'Toronto Wolfpack' Discussion Thread

17 minutes ago, Moove said:

If a UK based SL team picked up a lower league union player who's never played RL before and threw them into a first team game there would be uproar about player welfare and just generally how ridiculous an idea it would be.

Yet seemingly this is what Toronto should be doing to 'fill their depth chart'. It's hard not to assume an alterior motive with some of these recent posts.

Cuckoo land stuff.

True. Look what happened to Gareth Thomas on his first trip out. 

And presumably he'd had weeks of training and how to tackle properly explained to him 

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Moove said:

If a UK based SL team picked up a lower league union player who's never played RL before and threw them into a first team game there would be uproar about player welfare and just generally how ridiculous an idea it would be.

Yet seemingly this is what Toronto should be doing to 'fill their depth chart'. It's hard not to assume an alterior motive with some of these recent posts.

Cuckoo land stuff.

If any of these hypothetical players even got to dress for a game it would mean the team is already in pretty deep trouble. This is looking towards the future - more like Ottawa's plan to start out in L1 and grow everything together.

39 minutes ago, Moove said:

Cuckoo land stuff.

Indeed, this is why the idea of Canadian ayers off quota will do nothing for this year. 

44 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Here’s an idea. It’s a bit radical but bear me out. 

Why doesn’t Toronto stop paying way over the odds for players and manage their salary cap better?

Because they need to pay over the odds to get them to go there. 

3 hours ago, LR23 said:

That's the way to win people over. Too many pro expansionists/pro Toronto who even offer the slightest criticism against Toronto are labelled 'anti-Toronto' these days. 

I like the Canadian players dispensation idea - if that had been put forward I imagine It would have been much more widely accepted/supported. 

As someone who has suggested that international expansion for Super League would ideally be in Europe rather than North America, that Toronto offers many challenges and will be less appealing for players, that they will rely on Australians etc...

...I have never been called in the way you are suggesting because I have noted this in the overall context.

There are moderates, but we are not seen as such.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

1 hour ago, Man of Kent said:

Here’s an idea. It’s a bit radical but bear me out. 

Why doesn’t Toronto stop paying way over the odds for players and manage their salary cap better?

I explained that to you before, but I will be generous and assume you are genuinely stupid rather than trolling:
- Clubs that go up have to recruit lots of players quickly, this is typically a challenge.
- This club will require players to spent a chunk of the year far from their families. That further limits the availability of players.

I have mentioned this before.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

52 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Yeah, I suppose Rochdale is a bit of an armpit.

I have had projects i different places close to where I already live, typically I would do them. I have also been offered jobs in North America and took them only when they paid a king's ransom.

Please, let me know how you find this difficult.

6 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

I explained that to you before, but I will be generous and assume you are genuinely stupid rather than trolling:
- Clubs that go up have to recruit lots of players quickly, this is typically a challenge.
- This club will require players to spent a chunk of the year far from their families. That further limits the availability of players.

I have mentioned this before.

Thick as pig **** comes to mind. 

Just now, Michael1812 said:

Thick as pig **** comes to mind. 

Yes.

And there is nothing wrong with that. People are too quick to assume bad faith when this poor man is probably doing his very best.

27 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

I have had projects i different places close to where I already live, typically I would do them. I have also been offered jobs in North America and took them only when they paid a king's ransom.

Please, let me know how you find this difficult.

I still don’t understand why Toronto had no choice but to pay full SL-level cap - with two marquee players - in the Championship.

Once you’ve explained that the penny may well drop!

3 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

I still don’t understand why Toronto had no choice but to pay full SL-level cap - with two marquee players - in the Championship.

Once you’ve explained that the penny may well drop!

Glad to help and thank you for your openness. 

They are taking five years to try and establish a viable top flight club. Being merely competitive may left them like Toulouse Olympique, so there was serious investment to get them promoted ass soon as possible. 
I hope this is helpful. 

2 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

Glad to help and thank you for your openness. 

They are taking five years to try and establish a viable top flight club. Being merely competitive may left them like Toulouse Olympique, so there was serious investment to get them promoted ass soon as possible. 
I hope this is helpful. 

So they didn’t have to spend it?

59 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

As someone who has suggested that international expansion for Super League would ideally be in Europe rather than North America, that Toronto offers many challenges and will be less appealing for players, that they will rely on Australians etc...

...I have never been called in the way you are suggesting because I have noted this in the overall context.

There are moderates, but we are not seen as such.

I disagree Bob. I'm seen as anti-TWP by some because I have discussed some of the challenges. 

35 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I disagree Bob. I'm seen as anti-TWP by some because I have discussed some of the challenges. 

Fair enough.

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

No one has said you are anti TWP...just because some disagree with you does not mean they are against you.

Archived