The General 'Toronto Wolfpack' Discussion Thread

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, Bob8 said:

I explained that to you before, but I will be generous and assume you are genuinely stupid rather than trolling:
- Clubs that go up have to recruit lots of players quickly, this is typically a challenge.
- This club will require players to spent a chunk of the year far from their families. That further limits the availability of players.

I have mentioned this before.

Yes, living away is not for everyone.  Sometimes the money becomes irrelevant.

Personally, I see this as a lesser problem though.  Clubs should have a recruitment strategy.  They know, or should do, good players who tick all the boxes do not stay on the shelves forever.  HKR are also in this mess now through injuries and their strategy not quite working.

Players will become available shortly through loans/DR but then are only in TWPs control for a short while.  Also, these players might not fit TWP ethos but will ‘do’.  They have created this vortex themselves and need to learn from it.

I think the Club are complaining in an attempt to influence dispensation, while BMac, as much as I like him, is doing the same for either a) covering his own butt , b) supporting his ceo or c) as it’s a genuine plea.  The rules are clear but to expect them to be changed is a blind alley imo.

3 minutes ago, aj1908 said:

Its like working yourself through a maze...it will eventually sort itself out (one way or another).

4 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

Its like working yourself through a maze...it will eventually sort itself out (one way or another).

Will many people view it on those networks?

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

4 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

Will many people view it on those networks?

Its not an open feed..so you have to pay extra (roughly $20/month) but now its more to get the feed for games after the starter game...so the answer to your question is no, not right now.  Hopefully they can work something out....like most things with the Wolfpack its a fluid situation...

I predict that this will be a year of working things out...so many different variables with Sky, Sportsnet, Sportsnet Now, etc.  I think it all boils down to broadcast rights etc.  It will all work itself out one way or another for this year.

5 hours ago, aj1908 said:

Thing is, this really has nothing to do with the Wolfpack as Sportsnet has been showing SL for years now. They just show the sky feed, so any matches from Sky were already planned to be shown on tv in Canada regardless of the wolfpack’s involvement. 

Which lead me to my next point, how are the Wolfpack supposed to work out a deal to show their matches in Canada if Sportsnet already have the rights to broadcast super league? 

10 minutes ago, Michael1812 said:

Which lead me to my next point, how are the Wolfpack supposed to work out a deal to show their matches in Canada if Sportsnet already have the rights to broadcast super league? 

As I understand it, t’Wolfpack are free to negotiate their own deal for home (ie in Toronto) games. Sportsnet have the rights to air games produced by Sky.

1 hour ago, Michael1812 said:

Thing is, this really has nothing to do with the Wolfpack as Sportsnet has been showing SL for years now. They just show the sky feed, so any matches from Sky were already planned to be shown on tv in Canada regardless of the wolfpack’s involvement. 

Not like them to spin a story out of nothing.

5 hours ago, dkw said:

What exactly have they spun? 

In the article TWP have spun it to make out it's them that's sorted it, that live coverage is thanks to them when the reality is that it's the same Sportsnet coverage of SL that's been going on in Canada since before TWP were even established. 

6 hours ago, Smudger06 said:

In the article TWP have spun it to make out it's them that's sorted it, that live coverage is thanks to them when the reality is that it's the same Sportsnet coverage of SL that's been going on in Canada since before TWP were even established. 

I must be reading a different article as all I read was an announcement, at no point do they claim they have "sorted it."

3 minutes ago, dkw said:

I must be reading a different article as all I read was an announcement, at no point do they claim they have "sorted it."

Pretty sure Smudger had decided his interpretation before he'd opened the article 

TBH, Sportsnet aren't going to be the greatest partner for a few reasons. Sportsnet broke the bank a few years ago to try and usurp TSN as the #1 sports broadcaster in the country.

They paid an ungodly sum of money to get the rights to NHL hockey, $5.2 billion over 12 years, and the deal has never really worked out for them. 

Sportsnet views its core business as hockey and baseball with everything else being of tertiary concern.  They'll show 10 hockey game replays on one of their main channels before they will show something else.

This year will be a weird year for TWP but it will work itself out.  The priority has to be getting a better media deal with more flexibility for next season.

1 hour ago, CanadianRugger said:

TBH, Sportsnet aren't going to be the greatest partner for a few reasons. Sportsnet broke the bank a few years ago to try and usurp TSN as the #1 sports broadcaster in the country.

They paid an ungodly sum of money to get the rights to NHL hockey, $5.2 billion over 12 years, and the deal has never really worked out for them. 

Sportsnet views its core business as hockey and baseball with everything else being of tertiary concern.  They'll show 10 hockey game replays on one of their main channels before they will show something else.

This year will be a weird year for TWP but it will work itself out.  The priority has to be getting a better media deal with more flexibility for next season.

If Sportsnet's deal for the SL rights runs until the end of Sky's current deal, next year won't be any different than this year.  Their only option will be a deal for their home matches in Toronto along the lines of the one Catalans had with BeIN Sports for the past few years.

Archived