The General 'Toronto Wolfpack' Discussion Thread

22 minutes ago, Jim Prendle said:

And even that one is cardboard.

And it isn't even real cardboard, but some ersatz foreign substitute.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Big Picture said:

If Sportsnet's deal for the SL rights runs until the end of Sky's current deal, next year won't be any different than this year.  Their only option will be a deal for their home matches in Toronto along the lines of the one Catalans had with BeIN Sports for the past few years.

Finally getting coverage in the national news.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6478457/toronto-wolfpack-rugby-big-money/

1 hour ago, Big Picture said:

One has to wonder what Global viewers/readers will make of them having to fund visiting teams' travel expenses!  That's not big time, it's small time.

Baby steps...gotta walk before you can run.

15 minutes ago, aj1908 said:

Air transat cover these to.be fair 

Even so, Toronto having to pay visiting teams' expenses because they're all too poor to pay their own way is a bad look for what's supposed to be big time pro sport.

32 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

Even so, Toronto having to pay visiting teams' expenses because they're all too poor to pay their own way is a bad look for what's supposed to be big time pro sport.

Super league isn't that and we all know that 

2 hours ago, Big Picture said:

But that's just your spin, so nobody else has that view. 

Getting somebody else to pay for something doesn't mean you can't afford to pay. 

I think you'll find a lot here who think that way - but then we're biased. 

The term we use is Bush League. Even the lowest of minor league teams over here pay their own way rather than blackmail a rich partner into paying their way. It makes them look cheap.

10 minutes ago, SL17 said:

Having a million pound squad in L1 is laughable. One would say running before walking.

Yeah Derek,they should have followed your model,spend a fortune in the championship and finish 6th & 4th and then plead poverty.

1 hour ago, TIWIT said:

I think you'll find a lot here who think that way - but then we're biased. 

The term we use is Bush League. Even the lowest of minor league teams over here pay their own way rather than blackmail a rich partner into paying their way. It makes them look cheap.

But they are wrong. Hell each club is about £120k each better off this year from central funding. 

SL clubs don't want to invest the additional costs of a Canadian team in SL. They have negotiated that somebody else will do it. 

The interesting point on this is that it was TWP who introduced the model of no central funding, covering travel costs and paying for TV coverage. 

8 minutes ago, SL17 said:

As Toronto have done by pleading poverty on the salary cap. 

The issue is more complex than that. 

TWP have the money, they are not impoverished or claiming to be, but are questioning the fairness of the current regulations. The latter is free for anyone to debate. 

One liners can be incisive and pithy, but they can also be sloppy and simplistic.

2 minutes ago, SL17 said:

Yes well Leigh had the money. Made the pathway for future expansion clubs viable. Having money makes no difference with a SC in place. I doubt TWP would have made Championship on a £70k SC.

My point was made was solely in response to your comment about TWP claiming poverty.

47 minutes ago, SL17 said:

As Toronto have done by pleading poverty on the salary cap. 

How exactly is them wanting to spend more money pleading poverty, its the exact opposite? And your belived leader, you know the bloke on the poster above your bed, did the exact same thing with wanting a higher salary cap. Was it bad then? Engage your brain before typing ha ha. 

28 minutes ago, SL17 said:

My point to you is. If they can’t be bothered to place £70k into youth. Then when would a reserve squad (regulation of SL) happen?

20 years? How’s about set an academy up in the UK and get the wheels in motion.

If they have so much money to burn, then get burning it, in the right direction.

I'm not biting.

I raised a point about a comment, and you introduced other matters. 

31 minutes ago, SL17 said:

The word is beloved!  The day we gave our reserves up was indeed a sad day for the club. Although playing against fresh air didn’t help. 

They went to SL without marquees and also on a smaller SC . They beat a system put in place (8’s) that even TWP couldn’t beat.

They created a level playing field at the cost of one mans wallet. 

What have TWP done with their expenditure, to support the game?

So, how is wanting to spend more money pleading poverty? 

2 hours ago, SL17 said:

Having a million pound squad in L1 is laughable. One would say running before walking.

go on explain how having a million pound squad is crawling?

surely in a system of promotion and relegation a club who can spend more on players is a better thing.

the only way your post makes any sense if you dont want them to have a million pound squad because them getting promoted causes you so much grief?

?

the way this is going im almost starting to miss gutterfax.  

38 minutes ago, aj1908 said:

go on explain how having a million pound squad is crawling?

surely in a system of promotion and relegation a club who can spend more on players is a better thing.

the only way your post makes any sense if you dont want them to have a million pound squad because them getting promoted causes you so much grief?

?

the way this is going im almost starting to miss gutterfax.  

It's hilarious seeing him talk himself in circles, his little mind just implodes at the mere mention of Toronto and then spews it all into his keyboard ?

Archived