The General 'Toronto Wolfpack' Discussion Thread

43 minutes ago, SL17 said:

You can’t start the season later. Emphasis is now on internationals.

Emphasis should be on the regular season first-and-foremost, then domestic cup competitions. International competitions should be played in the off season to maintain interest in the sport but not distracting from domestic play. Just my opinion of course but over here international play is of secondary importance to league play.

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, TIWIT said:

The simplest solution to that is to start the season later. For a 'summer'  league to start the first weekend in February is ridiculous. Even a month later would make all the difference. Toronto in February can hit -30. In July, +30.

Bmo field or.home games.shifted to later 

3 hours ago, TIWIT said:

Emphasis should be on the regular season first-and-foremost, then domestic cup competitions. International competitions should be played in the off season to maintain interest in the sport but not distracting from domestic play. Just my opinion of course but over here international play is of secondary importance to league play.

I think this is a crucial difference between North American and the rest of the world in terms of sports - partly because most of the sports are NA centric and many Americans can barely recognise a world map. Even in the behemoth that is European club football, international competitions rank as the highest honour of players careers. Even in such a club dominated game such as RL, internationals form a key part of spreading the sport and are increasing in importance.

5 hours ago, TIWIT said:

The simplest solution to that is to start the season later. For a 'summer'  league to start the first weekend in February is ridiculous. Even a month later would make all the difference. Toronto in February can hit -30. In July, +30.

Which tells us Toronto perhaps isn't suited to RL 

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

Thats not a fair assumption 

When we have suggestions that the whole sport , both north and southern hemisphere needs to alter the season to accomadate one new club then it is IMO 

Just now, GUBRATS said:

When we have suggestions that the whole sport , both north and southern hemisphere needs to alter the season to accomadate one new club then it is IMO 

We get such comments anyway and got them long before TWP. There have and always will be those who think its silly we have a "summer sport" who's season starts late Jan early Feb. Toronto just present an extreme case of how silly it is.

Season is fine but Challenge Cup games and more matches will need to be played in Toronto in the future.  Super League knows full well what the weather is like, I'm certain they can figure out the scheduling accordingly. 

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

We get such comments anyway and got them long before TWP. There have and always will be those who think its silly we have a "summer sport" who's season starts late Jan early Feb. Toronto just present an extreme case of how silly it is.

It isn't that the season is when it is , it's the overall length of the season that is the issue , yes it is too long , as always a financial issue , maybe NA expansion can change that , maybe it can't 

4 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

It isn't that the season is when it is , it's the overall length of the season that is the issue , yes it is too long , as always a financial issue , maybe NA expansion can change that , maybe it can't 

Its a financial issue for certain clubs sadly and loop fixtures need to go asap imo. That doesn't render Toronto or anywhere else unsuitable for RL though.

8 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Its a financial issue for certain clubs sadly and loop fixtures need to go asap imo. That doesn't render Toronto or anywhere else unsuitable for RL though.

Indeed it doesn't , I was being a tad flippant , in response to somebody suggesting that the club game and essentially accomodating one club was more important than the International game and all the other clubs in it ?

Just now, aj1908 said:

Toronto isn't a country hth 

You know what I mean Mr Snippy. Plus I wasn't having a dig just surmising.

We can't change the RL season to accommodate TWP but we possibly need to look at other options. 

6 minutes ago, Wildcat said:

You know what I mean Mr Snippy. Plus I wasn't having a dig just surmising.

We can't change the RL season to accommodate TWP but we possibly need to look at other options. 

I never said they should change the season.

I said they should play at bmo field or get early season games moved 

Asking the whole league to start later for one club is stupid 

1 minute ago, aj1908 said:

I never said they should change the season.

I said they should play at bmo field or get early season games moved 

Asking the whole league to start later for one club is stupid 

You didn't, but another poster did.

HTH ?

Getting early season games moved is a more feasible idea though.

20 minutes ago, aj1908 said:

Playing at bmo field is.entirely in control.of the wolfpack for early season games.

What about being based.in Toronto. Is this on the cards 

Being based in Toronto will be a big step and essentially would mean a massive initial investment that perhaps the salary cap couldn't deal with at the moment?

Archived