The General 'Toronto Wolfpack' Discussion Thread

3 hours ago, GIANTSTRIDES said:

Yeah seem to remember it being a Lancashire club, I think it was around the time that shot putter fella gave it a go, forgot his name but i think he played a bit for Oldham.

I seem to think it was Arthur Rowe.

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, GIANTSTRIDES said:

That's the fella, Well done and was it Oldham he played for ?

Yes it was Oldham, but I don't think he lasted too long. He certainly didn't do a full season.

Just catching up on yesterday's Super League Show and whilst it wasn't a perfect first game on the pitch the interviews with the Canadian fans before and after definitely put a smile on my face. It was great to see and hear the enthusiasm from them and I hope that however the season pans out that that attitude lasts and catches on.

Whatever the politics with game locations, players, money etc then surely that is what sport is about.

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

(name removed by CKN) you just turned the discussion negative after a positive post. 

That's on you, not those you criticise. 

I agree. Four posts removed, including yours as it quotes one.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

2 hours ago, glossop saint said:

Just catching up on yesterday's Super League Show and whilst it wasn't a perfect first game on the pitch the interviews with the Canadian fans before and after definitely put a smile on my face. It was great to see and hear the enthusiasm from them and I hope that however the season pans out that that attitude lasts and catches on.

Whatever the politics with game locations, players, money etc then surely that is what sport is about.

This is generally why I am a fan of expansion. I remember being at Wilderspool for the last game of the season versus Gateshead when they were pretty much on their way out. They still brought a decent amount of fans and had a great time on the terrace. These were new fans to the game.

Similarly seeing the huge number of French fans watching Catalans, or the small number of Scottish folk at the games I have been to in Glasgow, Edinburgh and Galashiels and so on.

People are not that different, they want to enjoy their sport, and as far as I'm concerned we have the best sport in the world, I want everyone to enjoy it.

12 hours ago, GIANTSTRIDES said:

No i'm sure we haven't met, I was just trying a joke.  I wish you and your team the best of luck friend, League needs all the  clubs it  can get.  I would caution against too much boasting and running down of small town clubs over here though, you have to remember that their clubs are just as important to them as yours is to you  and i don't think you will have realized  the achievements some of them have had and they live with the dream of future success, much like me.

I think most fans will be behind your club, they are just hoping it is not at the expense of everything they know, With a bit of luck it may all work out.

Wisdom! there's not enough of it, to go around.

On 04/02/2020 at 07:44, aj1908 said:

The next world cup after England should be hosted in Canada imo 

We have played Rugby League on a municipal 4G pitch and in a park so far.

Lets try to grow in increments, something Rugby League never does I know.

Some of us remember when we nearly killed the sport with the 2000 World Cup.

6 minutes ago, TheLegendOfTexEvans said:

We have played Rugby League on a municipal 4G pitch and in a park so far.

Lets try to grow in increments, something Rugby League never does I know.

Canada is a better option than Australia again imo

4 minutes ago, TheLegendOfTexEvans said:

Remember it well ?

Went to lots of games.

Was it run by Mr Jason Heather barrow❓I used to read his WC diary piece each week in an RL publication prior to the WC tournament.

It had made £3 million profit: then it had lost £3 million pounds.

Think the man at the helm then ran Commonwealth Games Manchester 2002❓

As always... happy to be corrected after all this time ?

Just now, aj1908 said:

Canada is a better option than Australia again imo

I think an international has to be played there first, we need to have evidence before hosting an entire tournament.

The issue is two fold not enough internationals and no long term strategy to build an international footprint.

You need to hold the final game of a GB v NZ series or a State of Origin match at a large stadium first for me.

Prove that the interest is there to be commercially successful. Its too important to get wrong.

But we also need to be stimulating interest as a sport.

7 minutes ago, TheLegendOfTexEvans said:

I think an international has to be played there first, we need to have evidence before hosting an entire tournament.

The issue is two fold not enough internationals and no long term strategy to build an international footprint.

You need to hold the final game of a GB v NZ series or a State of Origin match at a large stadium first for me.

Prove that the interest is there to be commercially successful. Its too important to get wrong.

But we also need to be stimulating interest as a sport.

We gave it to America without any such games 

But yes may be it's better to test the waters

So nsw it will be then 

Just now, TheLegendOfTexEvans said:

Arguably was not Denver such a tester game?

The mistake was not taking money up front for costs.

Or underwriting it in someway.

They did award it to America before Denver if my memory serves me correctly 

2 minutes ago, aj1908 said:

They did award it to America before Denver if my memory serves me correctly 

They did, but as a sport we need to stop doing things with out incremental plans.

The Denver test showed that even with a largish crowd in the USA was it going to be a commercial disaster.

This is a not argument for not doing things, its an argument for doing things properly.

We need to stop asking people to marry us on the first date.

If a "tester" international game is to played in Canada then it should also be done at the same time of year when the RLWC will be played, if that is in direct competion with the culmination of the Canadian sports season's finals series's, it is much better to have a like for like comparison for evaluation purposes.

3 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

If a "tester" international game is to played in Canada then it should also be done at the same time of year when the RLWC will be played, if that is in direct competion with the culmination of the Canadian sports season's finals series's so be it, it is much better to have a like for like comparison for evaluation purposes.

Oz are set to play the Wolfpack this year apparently. Should be a decent tester.

19 minutes ago, TheLegendOfTexEvans said:

They did, but as a sport we need to stop doing things with out incremental plans.

The Denver test showed that even with a largish crowd in the USA was it going to be a commercial disaster.

This is a not argument for not doing things, its an argument for doing things properly.

We need to stop asking people to marry us on the first date.

This is exactly right. We should be doing everything to explore how we can deliver a great World Cup in France. 

8 minutes ago, Dave T said:

This is exactly right. We should be doing everything to explore how we can deliver a great World Cup in France. 

But right after England?

Shame they didn't get games this time but northern funding or whatever it's called stopped it 

France deserves  a wc for sure 

5 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Really, when is that Tommy? 

Apparently on their way to the Ashes series at BMO. Details tbc but its definitely in the pipeline. I'd find a link for you but it would just say what I've just said. Hopefully it comes off, the Kiwi game vs the Rhinos was a great event and so more of this is good imo.

Archived