The General 'Toronto Wolfpack' Discussion Thread

39 minutes ago, CanadianRugger said:

One of the MLR teams, Austin, already almost folded but was bought by the owner of fellow league rival, San Diego Legion who apparently has very deep pockets.

MLR is being run by business people and in order to own a team, you have to buy in to the league.   It is in fact one ownership group with their respective clubs being worth equal shares in the entire operation.

Austin has a different ownership to San Diego Utah and San Diego actually have the same ownership

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, aj1908 said:

that didnt answer my post at all.  they dont have to do a single thing to improve tv ratings since they dont get anything out of it.

its nice how accomdating the engish game is isnt it lol

Yes they do. How SLE splits its central money is a different issue. 

6 hours ago, Loup said:

That's their winter schedule. AT's fleet is going to the Caribbean and Florida at this time of the year. Flights to UK/Europe ramp up for spring/summer.

No they don't. I looked for the summer and for the Wire game. 

6 hours ago, aj1908 said:

yes because the people complaining about point one are the people complaining about point two

point two is spot on.  wolfpack should play their games when it best suits their crowds.  if visiting teams have to stay an extra night or catch an extra bus to get home, boo hoo

No, they shouldn't. Do you think Wire would choose Thursday 7.45pm to play Saints?

It is a bizarre mentality that you have that a new club can join an existing comp and just do whatever they want on their terms. 

4 minutes ago, Dave T said:

No, they shouldn't. Do you think Wire would choose Thursday 7.45pm to play Saints? 

That's on sky 

Wolfpack aren't moving their ko times for tv

Its to make life easier for visiting clubs 

Something they don't have to do 

For example would an English club move kick off two hours earlier so the visiting club can get an earlier bus home ?

On the previous points until Toronto share in tv money they have no obligation to help English tv ratings 

7 minutes ago, aj1908 said:

That's on sky 

For example would an English club move kick off two hours earlier so the visiting club can get an earlier bus home ?

On the previous points until Toronto share in tv money they have no obligation to help English tv ratings 

They have to do all of these things, irrespective of what you claim. 

The evidence is, they are doing it. 

And comparing a coach journey to a flight across the world makes you look a bit silly to be honest. 

18 minutes ago, Dave T said:

And comparing a coach journey to a flight across the world makes you look a bit silly to be honest.

Not a huge fan of 130 kick off in Toronto to be fair.  Mostly because some jays games (baseball) start at 1.07 some Saturdays

4-430 is better in my opinion!

As for coach Vs flight....it once took me 7 hrs to drive MCR  to Somerset....to meet my cousin's visiting family down there...from Toronto... our travel times were similar that day haha 

23 minutes ago, TboneFromTO said:

Not a huge fan of 130 kick off in Toronto to be fair.  Mostly because some jays games (baseball) start at 1.07 some Saturdays

4-430 is better in my opinion!

As for coach Vs flight....it once took me 7 hrs to drive MCR  to Somerset....to meet my cousin's visiting family down there...from Toronto... our travel times were similar that day haha 

What's with the 1.07?

Listen, I get the frustrations some will have with kick off times. I despise non-tv games being on a Friday, but you're never gonna please everyone. 

But for people to pretend that logistical planning for a team on the other side of the Atlantic isn't important is just nonsense. It is exactly this kind of thing the first few years were for, to iron out these kind of things. 

And some who were shouting for a set schedule for TWP (without realising they had one) then turned their anger to kick off being 3hrs earlier than they wanted. And these are not the Canadians who do have genuine gripes, just like Cas fans do when their game is moved to a Thursday with 7 days notice but gets dismissed as small time flat capper stuff. 

2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

What's with the 1.07?

Listen, I get the frustrations some will have with kick off times. I despise non-tv games being on a Friday, but you're never gonna please everyone. 

But for people to pretend that logistical planning for a team on the other side of the Atlantic isn't important is just nonsense. It is exactly this kind of thing the first few years were for, to iron out these kind of things. 

And some who were shouting for a set schedule for TWP (without realising they had one) then turned their anger to kick off being 3hrs earlier than they wanted. And these are not the Canadians who do have genuine gripes, just like Cas fans do when their game is moved to a Thursday with 7 days notice but gets dismissed as small time flat capper stuff. 

I think they start the anthems and ceremonial stuff at 1!

I agree with your logistics stand point Dave. That was mostly tounge in cheek!

57 minutes ago, aj1908 said:

That's on sky 

They might not have an obligation to help clubs.  But they will soon die out as club if they go to war with everyone else.

If clubs see you as threat to their survival they could refuse to deal with Toronto over loan signings.

59 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Wolfpack don't have to move kick off times

They are bending over backwards to fit in 

We all know an English club wouldn't move it's kick off time for a rival English club.

Going back to your claim about the English game being accomodating towards the wolfpack I'm struggling to see this.

1 minute ago, TheLegendOfTexEvans said:

They might not have an obligation to help clubs.  But they will soon die out as club if they go to war with everyone else.

If clubs see you as threat to their survival they could refuse to deal with Toronto over loan signings.

Ah ok.  Bend over backwards or you can die off thanks great argument 

When the wolfpack are a success the shoe might be on the other foot 

42 minutes ago, aj1908 said:

Wolfpack don't have to move kick off times

They are bending over backwards to fit in 

We all know an English club wouldn't move it's kick off time for a rival English club.

Going back to your claim about the English game being according towards the wolfpack I'm struggling to see this.

TWP are one of two SL clubs who have a set schedule. Guess who the other one is? 

Your point about not moving kick off times is odd. There are no travel logistics to worry about for games between English teams, but let me assure you, if Hull KR started scheduling games at 10am on a Saturday there would soon be discussions that lead to a change. 

What TWP have done is engage in real world pragmatic discussions around scheduling with clubs, governing bodies and broadcasters and come up with a solution that sees TV broadcasts and full grounds. What they aren't doing is behaving like a toddler, sticking their fingers in their ears and believing international events sort themselves out by clicking your heels together. 

This is yet another nothing issue that the usual suspects are bashing the game over. It's boring. 

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

TWP are one of two SL clubs who have a set schedule. Guess who the other one is? 

Your point about not moving lick off times is odd. There are no travel logistics to worry about for games between English teams, but let me assure you, if Hull KR started scheduling games at 10am on a Saturday there would soon be discussions that lead to a change. 

What TWP have done is engage in real world pragmatic discussions around scheduling with clubs, governing bodies and broadcasters and come up with a solution that sees TV broadcasts and full grounds. What they aren't doing is behaving like a toddler, sticking their fingers in their ears and believing international events sort themselves out by clicking your heels together. 

This is yet another nothing issue that the usual suspects are bashing the game over. It's boring. 

No you.said the English game / rfl have been accomodating towards the wolfpack 

The wolfpack have been accommodating.  The rfl or English game not so much 

If.you want to move the goal posts and say they have to be accomadating that's fine too but a totally different argument 

9 minutes ago, aj1908 said:

If.you want to move the goal posts and say they have to be accomadating that's fine too but a totally different argument 

I said that the NRL wouldn't be as accommodating as the RFL/SLE.

The fact that TWP have played in the RFL structures for three years already and are now in SLE is evidence (and I know you don't like facts and evidence) that the RFL/SLE have been accommodating. You may not like some of the terms of that, but none of this had to happen. They have absolutely been accommodating, TWP have been admitted at every stage.

The NRL wouldn't even entertain them.

10 minutes ago, aj1908 said:

Mate, it's not about English Clubs, Welsh Clubs, French Clubs or Canadian Clubs. They are all Rugby League Clubs 1st & foremost. 

The more seasons TWP notch up, serving the Game faithfully by completing fixtures and generally obeying operational rules, the more trust and respect they will earn, it's a work in progress. 

@aj1908 @davet @Dave T   can we agree to a Middle ground that both the leagues and twp are doing their best to navigate the minefield of this exciting venture?  That's my view.  Both are trying and it will take a while to figure it out what works best

Edit sorry davet (no space) tagged the wrong one and it won't let me delete it!

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

I said that the NRL wouldn't be as accommodating as the RFL/SLE.

The fact that TWP have played in the RFL structures for three years already and are now in SLE is evidence (and I know you don't like facts and evidence) that the RFL/SLE have been accommodating. You may not like some of the terms of that, but none of this had to happen. They have absolutely been accommodating, TWP have been admitted at every stage.

The NRL wouldn't even entertain them.

So by accomadating you just mean being allowed into the english league structure at no cost to the.english game ?

That's not what i see as accomadating at all

And if the same proposition was made to the nrl there's a good chance they would accept as well.

1 hour ago, Smudger06 said:

Mate, it's not about English Clubs, Welsh Clubs, French Clubs or Canadian Clubs. They are all Rugby League Clubs 1st & foremost. 

The more seasons TWP notch up, serving the Game faithfully by completing fixtures and generally obeying operational rules, the more trust and respect they will earn, it's a work in progress. 

Yes this is true 

56 minutes ago, TboneFromTO said:

@aj1908 @davet @Dave T   can we agree to a Middle ground that both the leagues and twp are doing their best to navigate the minefield of this exciting venture?  That's my view.  Both are trying and it will take a while to figure it out what works best

No the wolfpack are doing most of the navigating which is fair enough 

Just calling a spade a spade 

As someone else has said as the wolfpack hang around they will.build up more trust 

3 hours ago, Dave T said:

It is a bizarre mentality that you have that a new club can join an existing comp and just do whatever they want on their terms. 

No it's not. Leagues will often make certain dispensations - dates, playing times - in order to ensure a new club is a success. Nothing major but any league wants a new club to succeed because failure reflects badly on them all.

SL really doesn't seem to care. They have a history of failed expansions and don't appear to have learned anything from them.

6 minutes ago, TIWIT said:

No it's not. Leagues will often make certain dispensations - dates, playing times - in order to ensure a new club is a success. Nothing major but any league wants a new club to succeed because failure reflects badly on them all.

SL really doesn't seem to care. They have a history of failed expansions and don't appear to have learned anything from them.

Not Dave t but there will be others who will like the wolfpack to fail just so they can say see expansion doesnt work lets stick to the heartlands 

You could say they have never really tried at expansion it's always been underfunded and it's the main reason it's failed in the past is lack of money and support.  An expansion club is lucky to be treated the same as other clubs let alone god forbid special rules be put in place to help them succeed 

When we finally get a well funded expansion club the results show what a good game league is 

1 hour ago, TboneFromTO said:

This is spot on, but it ain't middle ground, it is 100% my view.

Hence AJ rejecting it. 

Archived