The General 'Toronto Wolfpack' Discussion Thread

7 minutes ago, fairfolly said:

When the Toronto players step down the Rochdale players leave the club and go back to their local amateur team where they will be welcomed and treat a hell of a lot better than they were at Rochdale. I see this as a real chance of the end of Rochdale, I hope not but I do not hold out much hope.

Rochdale have had DR before haven't they?

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, Loup said:

Not the point. No other club was asked for this.

It is the point. They weren't asked to pay half a million quid to play in the cup. 

And another club was asked for a bond.

I don't agree with the RFL's approach by the way, it is a load of nonsense, but we don't need to claim it is something it isn't.

6 minutes ago, GIANTSTRIDES said:

And yet despite all this misery and unfairness being heaped upon them they still want to be a part of the club, The guy must really like League.

What some of us suffer for the common good of the game is beyond reproach.

3 hours ago, Dave T said:

Hang about, didn't Parky make this 'mistake' once? :kolobok_biggrin:

Parky made the same mistakes over and over and over. Never learned. That's what comes from never listening - or reading - what others have to say. Even you and i, who fundamentally disagree about just everything, can still have a civil discourse. Parksider? Not so much.

3 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

It's not a minefield and bar actually letting them in the game could not have been less accommodating

Toronto play at a time which suits english clubs flights home, not because the alternative would be onerous or difficult or prohibitively expensive but because it's slightly easier

Toronto dont get their central funding, they dont get the TV revenue yet the NA tv revenue they were supposed to go out and get it isnt even possible to sell.

Toronto will play just under a quarter of their home games elsewhere because apparently playing slightly more fixtures in the summer is an impossible task

Toronto pay for the travel and accommodation of the other sides, something demanded of no other side. Despite not getting the funding other clubs do and many of their games being on sky, adding value to RL on sky and those games being broadcast at Torontos cost.

Torontos promotion wasnt even confirmed until very late last season as elstone et al stuck their thumb up their asses and quibbled and wibbled about nonsense

We Are a week in to the season and the powers that be have only just discovered that the salary cap doesnt work when set at such a low level for a transatlantic sport. 

Toronto pay for their games to be broadcast, the british game then gained value add from sky with extra games and toronto arent even allowed to schedule them for the most beneficial kick off.

Other than letting them in, the game has done nothing to accommodate them and has at times made it infinitely more difficult for Toronto to make a success of it.

Its following almost exactly the same path as the denver test in that whilst its happening it's only happening with huge part of the game trying to undermine it and putting as many barriers in place to try and make it fail so that when it does they can pat themselves on the back and say it was a stupid idea.in the first place.

If Argyle were to walk away I couldnt blame him. Either we are working with him to make it a success or we arent. And if we arent it's a waste of his money and our time. 

??????

1 hour ago, scotchy1 said:

The most idiotic thing about this nonsense is it has left London still a member of SL.

The game has been so accommodating that they have a none SL club as a ln SL.shareholder to stop Toronto being so.

WHAT!? I never heard this. They're not getting Toronto's TV money are they?

17 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Nor were the clubs playing in the losers cup afterwards which cost (according to rimmer) 500k to rent Wembley for the second event and sold about 8 tickets and only 7 bothered to stay and watch.

Drunks passed out in their seats probably.

1 hour ago, aj1908 said:

Catalans were 

You're correct. My mistake. Catalans and Wolfpack, at the intersection of who can we milk for money and who isn't true heartland. Particularly nasty for Catalans as the defending champs.

29 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

No, but SL needs 12 shareholders, usually in December the shareholding transfers from the relegated side to the promoted one. 

That didn't happen this year.

That's stunning. Huge conflict of interest for London if votes are called to oppose things that might favour weaker SL teams.

16 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Wasn't there a similar situation in RU in the last few years? 

It's standard operating procedure that shares are retained after relegation. They do gradually go away if they stay down. 

9 hours ago, Dave T said:

No they don't. I looked for the summer and for the Wire game. 

Transat schedule between Toronto and Manchester:

Winter schedule (now), two flights a week.

Starting March 30, three flights a week including Saturday YYZ to MAN

Starting May 4, four flights a week including Saturday

Starting June 1, five flights a week including Saturday

15 minutes ago, Loup said:

Transat schedule between Toronto and Manchester:

Winter schedule (now), two flights a week.

Starting March 30, three flights a week including Saturday YYZ to MAN

Starting May 4, four flights a week including Saturday

Starting June 1, five flights a week including Saturday

Yes, we are talking about Sunday. 

Having the WP pay for travel and have to fall over backwards generally to have privilege to be in the comp has RL precedence. The Perth Reds had to do it and went belly up pretty quickly. The NZ Warriors had to do it for many years. I saw. doco on it a while back and a former CEO (still feeling bitter after many years passing) explained it drained much money from the club and nearly led to its demise.

How SL clubs have and are treating the WP is an absolute disgrace. RL as a sport is about protecting the incumbent pro-clubs  at the expense of growing the game for its long term benefit. RL is a tiny sport - not because of the product - but because of the way it is run. 

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

8 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

No, but SL needs 12 shareholders, usually in December the shareholding transfers from the relegated side to the promoted one. 

That didn't happen this year.

But the Broncos get a vote on anything regarding TWP. That is utterly ridiculous! As one of the favourites to be promoted London would be in favour of anything that hurts Toronto.

Or any other team for that matter

Are Catalans also in the same situation? Good grief, it could mean in a few years you could have a Super League with several foreign teams and the heartland teams would still maintain control. 

Just when you think this game can't get any stranger...

4 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

The most idiotic thing about this nonsense is it has left London still a member of SL.

The game has been so accommodating that they have a none SL club as a ln SL.shareholder to stop Toronto being so.

If this is true (and I am not doubting you) it is ridiculous. 

2 hours ago, Dave T said:

Yes, we are talking about Sunday. 

We were talking about Saturday into Manchester and Sunday into Glasgow, last season, as the reason why TWP home game times got pulled up from 4 p.m. to 1 p.m. so away teams could travel home on the Saturday night flight. You said that AT only fly into Manchester (and Glasgow) on Mondays. I was amplifying your knowledge of AT's seasonal schedule to Manchester.

AT fly to Gatwick daily.

Failing that, Kayakman runs a shuttle service across the Atlantic.

1 hour ago, Loup said:

We were talking about Saturday into Manchester and Sunday into Glasgow, last season, as the reason why TWP home game times got pulled up from 4 p.m. to 1 p.m. so away teams could travel home on the Saturday night flight. You said that AT only fly into Manchester (and Glasgow) on Mondays. I was amplifying your knowledge of AT's seasonal schedule to Manchester.

AT fly to Gatwick daily.

Failing that, Kayakman runs a shuttle service across the Atlantic.

I'll leave it there because you have got yourself confused. They apparently fly home on Sat. People were saying it should be Sunday. I highlighted there were no Sunday flights. 

You tried to prove me wrong by highlighting Saturday flights. 

Glad I went to the BBBB last night instead of reading all this 

Funny isn't it , last couple of years it's been ' small time Championship clubs ' fans , now it's ' small time SL clubs ' fans 

This is why I was glad they got promoted 

19 hours ago, fairfolly said:

When the Toronto players step down the Rochdale players leave the club and go back to their local amateur team where they will be welcomed and treat a hell of a lot better than they were at Rochdale. I see this as a real chance of the end of Rochdale, I hope not but I do not hold out much hope.

Rochdale have a squad of their own, they've heavily recruited from the amateur ranks, now having a squad of 25+ players. They relied on dual registration with st Helens and Warrington in recent years, so probably didn't have as large a squad, and now it's Toronto they're relying on.  I do wonder will the fringe players in the rochdale squad be happy not getting regular games, if any at all, now they have a larger squad, plus the addition of Toronto players to swell the numbers by more, and how easy will it be to get released if possible, having signed professional forms. I feel there'll be some players isolated,and kicking their heals weekly in the rochdale squad, but will Toronto, or Rochdale give a hoot about these players.

50 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Glad I went to the BBBB last night instead of reading all this 

Funny isn't it , last couple of years it's been ' small time Championship clubs ' fans , now it's ' small time SL clubs ' fans 

This is why I was glad they got promoted 

Thanks for that great read that was 

Archived