The General 'Toronto Wolfpack' Discussion Thread

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

Before yesterday, I was a sort of casual Toronto fan who hoped they would do ok but wasn’t that bothered really.

However after the last 24 hours and the debate on here, I’m a huge fan now and am gonna go and support them if circumstances permit. 
So they have at least one new fan. ????

I can see where you are coming from - I was on the fence but when folks start saying things like ‘I hope they don’t win a game’ and other nonsense it makes me hope they prove a few people wrong. Some of the anti-Toronto feeling (mainly on Twitter) baffles me.

13 minutes ago, LR23 said:

I can see where you are coming from - I was on the fence but when folks start saying things like ‘I hope they don’t win a game’ and other nonsense it makes me hope they prove a few people wrong. Some of the anti-Toronto feeling (mainly on Twitter) baffles me.

I'm kind of on the fence. Im not anti Toronto though the current and previous coach in particular didn't put the club in a position where the would endear themselves to me. A coach e.g. Daryl Powell would make them much more "likeable" to me...

I don't think Toronto will go down and its way too early to be predicting that eventuality after only three games.

Id be quite happy to see them recieving a slice of the pie and competing as any other club. I love the prospect of a new audience being exposed to our game.

The experience of watching the game in my equal favourite country with france, was fabulous.

But i do feel the level playing field kayak fella keeps referring to has snakes n ladders. One comes wi t'other

48 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

So why even admit them in the first place? It’s a pretty weird attitude. What do you mean about being afraid of asking others to fund it? There’s hardly a queue of rich people waiting to throw cash at RL is there? Why be awkward with a rare one that does. 

SL don’t want them in as they feel it will be of no benefit? Ok fair enough, don’t admit them. 

But don’t let them in, and then once they get to the top table getting stroppy and saying there’s nothing to eat for you and anyway, hope you brought some sandwiches-  you didn’t have to come you know! 

I'm not sure your point adds up. 

If somebody came along and said they would spend millions and millions on a club in Dublin, we'd let them in, but we wouldn't go and spend millions of our cash there. 

It really is a simple case of risk/reward, and the RFL/SLE have insisted somebody else takes the risk. And do you know what, he has, he has spent millions and done a very good job so far! 

48 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

Before yesterday, I was a sort of casual Toronto fan who hoped they would do ok but wasn’t that bothered really.

However after the last 24 hours and the debate on here, I’m a huge fan now and am gonna go and support them if circumstances permit. 
So they have at least one new fan. ????

Im not sure what you are finding so offensive on the debate on here mate. 

Just now, Johnoco said:

Not particularly here and certainly not you. Just the depressing familiarity of RL fans kicking against something different like a bunch of pitchfork wielding peasants in a old Frankenstein film.

I get that. And for what it's worth I think it's very obvious what the benefits are if the Toronto experiment works out.

However for every person in the group you describe there seems to be one to argue that this is a "no-brainer" and the game should bend over backwards to make Toronto successful and hang the consequences.

Both groups are equally tedious.

1 minute ago, Johnoco said:

Not particularly here and certainly not you. Just the depressing familiarity of RL fans kicking against something different like a bunch of pitchfork wielding peasants in a old Frankenstein film.

But you are an RL fan. I am an RL fan. We want TWP to do well, and we want growth and change. So do many others here. Others want growth in different areas. Some don't want change. 

RL fans are no different to anyone else, apart from maybe being more critical of ourselves and the game. 

RL fans have had to embrace more madcap initiatives and support geographical growth than many other sports fans and in general it is a positive experience. 

I'd steer clear of places like twitter if I were you mate. 

Just now, Johnoco said:

How likely is someone going to come along and say they are going to throw millions at a club in Dublin? I’d estimate somewhere between zero and zero squared.

Before Argyle pitched up I'd say they were better odds than someone turning up and saying I want a rugby league club in Toronto. And yet here we are.

1 minute ago, Johnoco said:

How likely is someone going to come along and say they are going to throw millions at a club in Dublin? I’d estimate somewhere between zero and zero squared. It’s almost as likely as my Abramovich hypothesis. How likely also is it that an interested party would so strongly want to go along with their numerous conditions? Many people would have just told them to stick it, I think I would.

But here we actually have someone who has done it. But somehow it’s not quite good enough. 

Again, your argument doesn't stack up. He has been allowed to set up a club, join the pyramid and his team played last night in SL. 

And the likelihood of a Dublin investor is probably the same as what a Toronto investor was 10 years ago. 

5 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

I do steer clear of twitter these days. But, and I base it on years of going to RL games etc, I think RL fans are very closed minded overall. Not everyone by any means but a significant majority - and I think the clubs and owners have a similar mentality too.  Hence the same old faces every year.

I think maybe you need to avoid Bradford then mate :kolobok_biggrin:

My experiences of RL fans is very different (although I absolutely have witnessed what you describe). 

2 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

Why is it? In 25 seasons of SL, I can think of one serious investor who has come forward. It’s unlikely to happen again. 

Why not? This exercise has shown investors that with relatively modest millions you can get a top flight team. 

We need to keep some of the discussion in perspective. It is big news for us, but it is relatively minor technical stuff (dispensations etc) that we are debating. 

6 minutes ago, Bramstein said:

I get that. And for what it's worth I think it's very obvious what the benefits are if the Toronto experiment works out.

However for every person in the group you describe there seems to be one to argue that this is a "no-brainer" and the game should bend over backwards to make Toronto successful and hang the consequences.

Given they were denied central funding,block home fixtures and still  pay for visiting teams airfare & accomodation is 100k extra cap funding the game bending over backwards & what are those consequences if they do manage to be successful.

52 minutes ago, LR23 said:

You have the advantage of me LR I don't do Twitter, and can I please ask for an example of anybody saying "I hope they don't win a game" there are those who do not go along with the NA programme  - I for example refuse to term it as expansion - but honestly I cannot recall anyone using the phrase you mention, that would be churlish to say the least, if they avoid bottom spot so be it, but I cannot lend to the notion that they shouldn't be relegated if they do.

23 minutes ago, Bramstein said:

I get that, there must be a load of fence sitters then just reding the posts on here without any input being given.

As I said to LR I don't do Twitter or it's partner in crime Facebook this site and a little on RL Fans - and only then on my clubs extension - are my only sins on public media, nor do I know anyone who does Twitter and Facebook on RL matters, could someone please advise me in what respect the NA experiment is held on those sites, for, against or indifferent.

5 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

I don't know why everyone has Toronto as relegated, I thought they did ok last night and i believe they will get better plus they will have all their games in Canada to come, It's a bit early to be writing them off for me.

On the funding thing i find Dave T's  views hard to disagree with , I'm not anti Toronto but i hold the view that there are other S league owners plowing a lot of money into the game besides Toronto and their views count for a lot more than ever gets even mentioned, It's very easy to come on here and call them greedy and short sighted and only wanting whats best for their club when all you are contributing in most cases is the price of a season ticket.

Toronto have lost 3 games in S league and already all the posts from their fans have gone from, We will win it all, we will show you how to play the game, we will show you how to run the game , we have so much money we will own the game  to It's not a level playing field, they are filching our money, we should have extra this, that or something else.

For heavens sake give the club a chance, if things get desperate then do something, it won't be the first time the goalposts have been moved, I don't want to see them fail, we have had far to much failure.

In a sort of answer to one of your earlier posts , If you were suddenly to become a Millionaire and wanted to fund Bradford, I would let you into S league immediately, That would result in benefit to every club money wise and if i was pumping money in as some people are, that would probably be important to me.

Dont expect anything from a pig but a grunt

16 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

You have the advantage of me LR I don't do Twitter, and can I please ask for an example of anybody saying "I hope they don't win a game" there are those who do not go along with the NA programme  - I for example refuse to term it as expansion - but honestly I cannot recall anyone using the phrase you mention, that would be churlish to say the least, if they avoid bottom spot so be it, but I cannot lend to the notion that they shouldn't be relegated if they do.

Honestly, It isn’t the odd Tweet - there are lots of people wading in with similar things every time Toronto are mentioned. Most of it completely misinformed. If Canadian fans judge us based on Twitter then we don’t come off well. It is more balanced on here to be fair.

You mentioned Facebook- I’m not on there but have been told it can get even worse on there.

1 minute ago, Harry Stottle said:

I get that, there must be a load of fence sitters then just reding the posts on here without any input being given.

As I said to LR I don't do Twitter or it's partner in crime Facebook this site and a little on RL Fans - and only then on my clubs extension - are my only sins on public media, nor do I know anyone who does Twitter and Facebook on RL matters, could someone please advise me in what respect the NA experiment is held on those sites, for, against or indifferent.

Twitter hates everything and everyone. The venom directed to fl*tcappers is as bad as any directed towards expansion. 

1 minute ago, Harry Stottle said:

Why, as I said I don't do it so I don't  know tge reasoning for your advice.

It ain't a good place for debate or informed discussion, it is a place for people to hurl abuse. 

It is good however for following latest news. 

11 minutes ago, LR23 said:

Honestly, It isn’t the odd Tweet - there are lots of people wading in with similar things every time Toronto are mentioned. Most of it completely misinformed. If Canadian fans judge us based on Twitter then we don’t come off well. It is more balanced on here to be fair.

You mentioned Facebook- I’m not on there but have been told it can get even worse on there.

Oh jesus h Arkwright..... yes it can

Archived