The General 'Toronto Wolfpack' Discussion Thread

I,for one want Toronto to succeed as I personally think S.L. need them in there. Whatever you think of them they are bringing a bit of publicity to the game, re Sonny Bill. What does surprise me though is that they have two out and out R.L men at the head of their club. McDermott and Noble. Surely they should know that they would require at least 28 players to see them through their first season in S.L. Somebody somewhere has made a giant cock up  by paying players either to much or completely forgetting their is a salary cap. They would undoubtedly have known this immediately after they won promotion, how come now they complain that they should have dispensations. Why did they not confront the problem they had immediately instead of when the season started.

Did they genuinely think they were going to compete in S.L.with the squad they had in the Championship, I think the vast majority of R.Lsupporters knew that they would not so why did somebody in the hierarchy at Toronto think they would.I admire Kayakmans stance on the support for his club but I think it is going to be a long hard season for him. Hopefully Toronto succeed and manage to survive in S.L. but even so early in the season I genuinely can not see who they will finish in front of.

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, Dave T said:

He has been allowed to set up a club, join the pyramid and his team played last night in SL. 

And therein lies the problem, up to October '19 Toronto were under the jurisdiction of the RFL then they suddenly transfer to the SL, it seems like "they were your problem, now they are mine" or visa versa. We heard plenty snippets coming out of some SL Chairmen (Parky was happy to readily quote them) who were not happy with Toronto's inclusion, but SL never collectively or through Mr Elstone put down a proper coherent statement of intent, I think there is still a lot of infighting going on between the SL Chairmen's offices in that some want them in whilst others have a difference of opinion.

As you say Dave SL have let this season commence and if they don't want to look bigger bigger R'soles than the already portray themselves to be, they will let it finish on the same rules they have allowed it to start, I think they have bigger fish to fry, that is the next TV Contract, are Toronto any good to them if they don't get a seperate TV contract?

Plenty people on here latch onto and revel at mere mention of Mr Perez, but he said Toronto are no good in NA alone, it will take a number of teams to secure a TV contract, is that what SL are considering?

3 minutes ago, fairfolly said:

Hopefully Toronto succeed and manage to survive in S.L. but even so early in the season I genuinely can not see who they will finish in front of.

Well.... though predicting final.positions in February is daft..... i can think of a couple of clubs who may also tow this season and who Toronto may well beat. They haven't been tonked yet and i thought wigan would beat them by a 40 point margin.

It will become clearer when they've played hull kr and wakey etc.... lose to those club and perhaps you are correct. Pick up those wins and all will be a bit more rosey for the club.

8 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Well.... though predicting final.positions in February is daft..... i can think of a couple of clubs who may also tow this season and who Toronto may well beat. They haven't been tonked yet and i thought wigan would beat them by a 40 point margin.

It will become clearer when they've played hull kr and wakey etc.... lose to those club and perhaps you are correct. Pick up those wins and all will be a bit more rosey for the club.

I tend to agree. It's hard to call at the moment as some clubs have played only once, but I can see TWP picking up a few wins over here and then hope they would make Lamport a bit of a fortress and get a good handful of wins there. 

I have seen nothing in those first three games that suggest they are out of their depth. But it does keep coming back to the squad depth. 

I wonder if TWP should focus on the player welfare argument to try and force SL's hand. 

15 minutes ago, fairfolly said:

Did they genuinely think they were going to compete in S.L.with the squad they had in the Championship,

They did it correctly at first, I stated when they got the first roster together in Champ one they would have to jettison a lot of those player's and replace them with player's capable of winning the Championship which they duly did, it was a no brainer to observe that the Championship squad would struggle in SL, as you say if numpties like us can see this how could Mac and Nobby let it escape them, I believe these two have done a disservice to the Toronto fans who have no expierence to measure if a player is very good, average or otherwise, I should think most and even some of the "new" experts  on these pages considered the present player's to be much better than they actually are.

3 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

He already answered the question a few days ago aj, he said if they finish bottom no way will they be allowed to be relegated.

But that is not my decision to make Harry.

3 hours ago, Robin Evans said:

Im putting this to you are a hypothetical scenario owd cock.

Just assume the scenario was to happen.... would you accept relegation if Toronto finished last?

Of course.

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

I tend to agree. It's hard to call at the moment as some clubs have played only once, but I can see TWP picking up a few wins over here and then hope they would make Lamport a bit of a fortress and get a good handful of wins there. 

I have seen nothing in those first three games that suggest they are out of their depth. But it does keep coming back to the squad depth. 

I wonder if TWP should focus on the player welfare argument to try and force SL's hand

Really, now that is taking the biscuit, biggest wage bill ever, smallest squad I can ever recall, I can hear the question "Can we have a specially dispensation please, we purposefully put our player's welfare secondary, knowing that you would have to give in" David I can honestly say that consideration is as far left field as anything you have ever stated. 

1 minute ago, Robin Evans said:

And thats the level playing field sorted.

Not at all....you don't actually think the owners would allow it to happen do you?.....it would be up there with the daftest decisions in the history of all sport....ain't gonna happen...take it to the bank.

2 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

Not at all....you don't actually think the owners would allow it to happen do you?.....it would be up there with the daftest decisions in the history of all sport....ain't gonna happen...take it to the bank.

I have whinged, moaned, complained and campaigned against the licencing system prior to and throughout its existence.

Toronto came in to the league at the bottom and have got promoted into SL through the system i continue to support beating my club in the process. Fair play and absolutely no issues with that process whatsoever.

I feel its only right Toronto should get a slice of the pie. They've earned on the pitch and IMO deserve that.

Similarly, if they fail to deliver they should face the same fate as the rest of us.

I have no issue with equitable treatment.

Robin,

I agree with your comments regarding the games against Wakey and H.K.R. I have not seen Wakey yet this season but I thought H.K.R. put in a pretty good performance against their neighbours and if they can keep up that performance I think they will be O.K. I can not however see that home advantage for them in Toronto will be much of an advantage. I would think the S.L clubs will make sure they arrive in Canada with plenty of time to acclimatise. After all an all weather pitch will suit the speedsters from the top S.L. clubs ,perhaps more so than the softer pitches in the U.K. My own personal opinion is that the forwards are not S.L. standard ,nor are the half backs good enough for S.L. which is going to make the task of staying up particularly difficult.Anyway,as you say,early doors yet but I have not seen anything from them yet to change my mind.

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

Really, now that is taking the biscuit, biggest wage bill ever, smallest squad I can ever recall, I can hear the question "Can we have a specially dispensation please, we purposefully put our player's welfare secondary, knowing that you would have to give in" David I can honestly say that consideration is as far left field as anything you have ever stated. 

You've read my position on here, but they will have to try a different argument. I agree much is self inflicted, but we are where we are and I expect them to keep trying. 

1 hour ago, Robin Evans said:

I have whinged, moaned, complained and campaigned against the licencing system prior to and throughout its existence.

Toronto came in to the league at the bottom and have got promoted into SL through the system i continue to support beating my club in the process. Fair play and absolutely no issues with that process whatsoever.

I feel its only right Toronto should get a slice of the pie. They've earned on the pitch and IMO deserve that.

Similarly, if they fail to deliver they should face the same fate as the rest of us.

I have no issue with equitable treatment.

I agree.

What are the rules surrounding the signing of players from union that then don't count against the cap in year 1? Do these deals have to be multi-year deals and the cap relief only applies in year 1 of the deal? Or can they be one-year deals? In that case, I assume that they then don't count against the cap but also don't require the club to have them beyond year 1 when the cap relief no longer applies? If one year deals are allowed, what would stop a well-funded club like Toronto signing union players with league experience to deals for just this year and fill out their roster without exceeding the cap?

Just now, GUBRATS said:

You OK mate ? 

You've been overly busy on here recently , all quiet on't Fev board ? ?

Im actually off sick at the mo steve. Long story I'm not putting on here. Nowt physically serious just a bit of a tough time at the mo. 

Believe it or not, fhis is re-directive therapy for me.

Being able to discuss all things rugby and in particular contentious issues like expanding the game to the north American continent...... as well as all things fev..... is providing a necessary distraction from the huge barrow full of sheeeite life is throwing at me just now.

It'll be reight. Hope the game is on tomorrow and i can go and talk tripe with the brethren 

5 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Im actually off sick at the mo steve. Long story I'm not putting on here. Nowt physically serious just a bit of a tough time at the mo. 

Believe it or not, fhis is re-directive therapy for me.

Being able to discuss all things rugby and in particular contentious issues like expanding the game to the north American continent...... as well as all things fev..... is providing a necessary distraction from the huge barrow full of sheeeite life is throwing at me just now.

It'll be reight. Hope the game is on tomorrow and i can go and talk tripe with the brethren 

Take a brolly with you ? , and some earplugs , you can just nod then without listening to them ?

Look after yersel 

Archived