The General 'Toronto Wolfpack' Discussion Thread

44 minutes ago, fevtom said:

Could he sign for Rochdale and go one DR/loan?

If TWP pays the salary, directly or not, it would not be in the spirit of the cap.

Whats the rule with long term injury leave? as we have Cunningham out for 6 months. Does his salary still count in the cap? Can he be replaced by a player being paid equal or less than him? 

Gigot seems to like part time contract, he could sign for 6 months, just saying.

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, manu266 said:

If TWP pays the salary, directly or not, it would not be in the spirit of the cap.

Whats the rule with long term injury leave? as we have Cunningham out for 6 months. Does his salary still count in the cap? Can he be replaced by a player being paid equal or less than him? 

Gigot seems to like part time contract, he could sign for 6 months, just saying.

This is the best article I could find with a quick google.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/rugby-league-news/luke-gale-injury-castleford-tigers-2419012.amp

“Clubs have been able to seek dispensation for full season injuries occurred in pre-season since the beginning of the 2016 campaign.“

10 hours ago, Kayakman said:

Does a trial count on the cap?

I believe he can play for one month or four games on trial. After that he would count on the cap. I am no expert so I am only repeating what I have been told.

1 hour ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Gigot would be a good signing for Toronto Wolfpack.

I guess they might release Cunningham, who is out injured for 6 months to free up cap space.

Alternatively it could be Chase Stanley, who suspiciously is still waiting for his visa, despite having a visa to play last season.

He switched the type of visa he was applying for - ancestry visa. And now he's applying for a Samoan (I think) passport to get off the overseas quota (but still on the non fed trained quota) as they are full on that one. I'd say it was more shambles than suspicious.

4 minutes ago, TboneFromTO said:

https://www.warringtonguardian.co.uk/sport/18245647.toronto-wolfpack-sign-tony-gigot-trial/

Says he's signed for a trial.

No news from the twp although the article quotes Martin Vickers (UK business manager)

Who would have guessed it?

1 minute ago, Kayakman said:

Who would have guessed it?

Not me!  I was sure there was no cap space left.  If they have space for him they're either getting a hell of a deal or were slightly misleading with the cap claims

2 minutes ago, TboneFromTO said:

Not me!  I was sure there was no cap space left.  If they have space for him they're either getting a hell of a deal or were slightly misleading with the cap claims

Its a trial so it don't count on the cap.

3 minutes ago, TboneFromTO said:

It might be suggested that Chase Stanley won't come and this has freed up space to sign 3 > 4 players. 

I really hope so.

2008 RFL Wakefield & District Young Volunteer of the Year

1 minute ago, Kayakman said:

Its a trial so it don't count on the cap.

The article says that Toronto have enough room under the cap to accommodate him as a signing thou....

2 minutes ago, Chris Taylor said:

It might be suggested that Chase Stanley won't come and this has freed up space to sign 3 > 4 players. 

I really hope so.

I feel for him, my experience with my wife is that visa issues can take over a year to resolve 

(I've got dual citizenship so my life's been easy going for mobility!)

Given TWP need more players, does anyone else think they may look at Elite 1 to find another player or two as there is talent there and the salary required will not be high? 

Gigot hopefully back in SL would be good for SL as he is a interesting player and hopefully TWP can get a win in the next game or so as otherwise it will be tough for them as statistically if a team looses its first 5 games it will be hard to stay up. 

8 minutes ago, Southerner80 said:

Given TWP need more players, does anyone else think they may look at Elite 1 to find another player or two as there is talent there and the salary required will not be high? 

Gigot hopefully back in SL would be good for SL as he is a interesting player and hopefully TWP can get a win in the next game or so as otherwise it will be tough for them as statistically if a team looses its first 5 games it will be hard to stay up. 

The issue is that they need to pay high salaries to convince people to do the traveling. 

The SL fixture listed has shafted TWP a bit. They've had an incredibly difficult start to the season, playing all five play off teams in the first 5 fixtures away from home (I know the away from home part is their choice for 3 of the games, but still).

Why would they give a new club such a tough opening 5 games? It's pulling the rug from beneath them before they've even begun.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

3 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

It's a live cap. Surely it would come this season?

You'd think so but no - they are not that quick in the RFL.

They wouldn't have signed this off though if it wasn't legit - no way this takes you over the cap. I'd imagine the trial doesn't count (as you said) and then you are hoping something happens over the next 4 weeks that means you can fit his salary for the rest of the season under the cap as normal.

Good player.

8 minutes ago, Southerner80 said:

President Bernard Guasch said recently that no new French player has the level to play in SL, but why not. Elite 1 is somewhere between League One and Championship, so it could be better that Rochdale options.

Archived