The General 'Toronto Wolfpack' Discussion Thread

26 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

Its a trial so it don't count on the cap.

Yes it does. But given it is only a months salary then the club will likely have enough wiggle room. If he was to sign permanently after 4 weeks then his whole annual salary would then count which may be more of a problem if someone doesn’t move on.  

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

The issue is that they need to pay high salaries to convince people to do the traveling. 

The SL fixture listed has shafted TWP a bit. They've had an incredibly difficult start to the season, playing all five play off teams in the first 5 fixtures away from home (I know the away from home part is their choice for 3 of the games, but still).

Why would they give a new club such a tough opening 5 games? It's pulling the rug from beneath them before they've even begun.

I think it's fair to say Super League clubs don't particular like the fact Toronto are in Super League.

2008 RFL Wakefield & District Young Volunteer of the Year

18 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

The issue is that they need to pay high salaries to convince people to do the traveling. 

The SL fixture listed has shafted TWP a bit. They've had an incredibly difficult start to the season, playing all five play off teams in the first 5 fixtures away from home (I know the away from home part is their choice for 3 of the games, but still).

Why would they give a new club such a tough opening 5 games? It's pulling the rug from beneath them before they've even begun.

Don't all clubs get a say in their fixture list though?

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that was the case.

16 minutes ago, manu266 said:

President Bernard Guasch said recently that no new French player has the level to play in SL, but why not. Elite 1 is somewhere between League One and Championship, so it could be better that Rochdale options.

While I will agree there are not 20 players out there in France who could right now play SL , I do feel there has to be at least 5 of them who could do a solid job at this level. Hopefully some get a chance. 

Just now, Lowdesert said:

Anyone know what Pellisier is doing these days.  If he’s fit, he could fit right in at TWP.

He's been playing with the Broncos for awhile now - He has just returned from 8 months out with injury to make an appearance against Widnes, where he also scored a try.

Would be interesting for ANOTHER hooker to leave London for Toronto.

4 minutes ago, Click said:

He's been playing with the Broncos for awhile now - He has just returned from 8 months out with injury to make an appearance against Widnes, where he also scored a try.

Would be interesting for ANOTHER hooker to leave London for Toronto.

Yes indeed.

Didn’t know he was at LB.  Easy commute for him as well.

On 17/02/2020 at 03:59, aj1908 said:

toronto dont actually pay these costs out of their pocket do they?  air transat do the flights for free.  and i think i read they got the accomodation for free.

even if the travelling clubs didnt like the sandiwches they got

I don't think how TWP got those costs covered really matters, it's that the fact that it's been put on them. If they didn't have that sponsorship, would the other clubs suddenly be offering to pay their own way? I don't think so. 

6 minutes ago, fairfolly said:

Quote from Toronto, "Tony has a superb track record in Super League over the years". If So why is he on a "4 week Trial ".

Either you know he is good enough or you are not too sure. Sounds a bit of a dodgy situation to me.

I'd say it was fairly obvious - money and the salary cap.

Just now, LR23 said:

Update: Gareth Walker has asked the RFL and they have confirmed that he has registered as an amateur while he trials at the club and as such will not be paid to play.

Ah, the Radlinski method :kolobok_biggrin:

I assume this is while the discussions are ongoing around further dispensation. Was interesting to see in football that Barcelona were given dispensation to make a signing out of the transfer window due to injuries this week. It had all sorts of caveats. I think signing players not contracted elsewhere is a reasonable caveat.

56 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

It is what it is.

It's what happens when the governing body is subordinate to the naked self interest of club owners. As Orwell says "all animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others"

Archived