The General 'Toronto Wolfpack' Discussion Thread

4 minutes ago, RobertAM said:

It's what happens when the governing body is subordinate to the naked self interest of club owners. As Orwell says "all animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others"

Martyn Sadlers column on RL's management model and Elstone's role as CEO sums up the situation perfectly.

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

Because there’s a specific rule allowing it. 

Union players who have never played league professionally can sign for a Club with no impact on the cap for the first season and then 50% in the second season from what i recall reading followed by 100% on the cap in the third season. This was to try and allow for clubs to take a punt on a union player.

3 minutes ago, terrywebbisgod said:

TWP sign Gigot as an amateur. They must know the rules regarding his signing.

No doubt the supporters will whine if a points deduction or fine is imposed for fielding an intelligible player.

Why would the RFL allow them to sign an ineligible player. 

10 minutes ago, terrywebbisgod said:

Ask the RFL.

Why would TWP  sign him as an amateur if rules state he can't play 1st team rugby.

How is an amateur defined? Is it simply someone who isn’t paid?

I don’t think they would be silly enough to field an illegible player so obviously. I can only assume they know something the rest of us are missing.

5 minutes ago, terrywebbisgod said:

Ask the RFL.

Why would TWP  sign him as an amateur if rules state he can't play 1st team rugby.

The rules only state as a rule for championship and league one clubs.  No mention of super league.  

1 minute ago, TboneFromTO said:

The rules only state as a rule for championship and league one clubs.  No mention of super league.  

The rule states Super League clubs can register up to two amateur players for 'Reserves League fixtures ONLY'. Various RL journos are awaiting clarification from the RFL on what this means for Gigot though. 

3 minutes ago, TboneFromTO said:

From the 2020 Operational Rules:

An Amateur Registered Player may play in:

i. In the case of Super League Clubs, only the Reserves League (and not for the avoidance of doubt First Team or Academy Matches);

2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

i. In the case of Super League Clubs, only the Reserves League (and not for the avoidance of doubt First Team or Academy Matches);

Cheers Dave,was just about to post that.

Thank you for your valuable contribution.

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

Just to add to that - the RFL stated that he was 'registered on amateur terms as a trialist' so it seems fairly clear cut in terms of the section of the rules you just quoted.

2 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

Could we be getting to things mixed up. He’s been registered as a amateur trialist for Toronto. I doubt he’s a registered amateur player though i.e. registered to play for Siddal say. Could this make a difference. 

According to many sports writers on twitter that’s not too far off the case. There are different uses of “amateur”. I don’t really know enough about the rules to go deeper but this is looking most likely.

31 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Cheers Dave, I had looked at the 2019 rules and didn't see anything about SL 

20 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Andy Mazey on twitter suggesting this is unpaid triallist which is different to amateur. 

Interesting that he couldn't make enough money with Les drags , but will play for Toronto for free(allegedly)....

Don't think he'll even get a free trip to Toronto out of this!

Gigot, if played at full back or in the halves, could definitely lift the performance level of Toronto.

Even at centre Gigot would improve the team, but not as much as he can if he is played at full back or in the halves.

Having said that, I think that Toronto urgently needs to find a couple of good forwards if it is to avoid being in a relegation avoidance struggle, and obviously if it wants to be competitive for a top 5 spot. Sam Lisone at the New Zealand Warriors is on the market (the Warriors want to release him) and he would be a great signing for Toronto.

20 minutes ago, Manfred Mann said:

Gigiot, if played at full back or in the halves, could definitely lift the performance level of Toronto.

Even at centre Gigot would improve the team, but not as much as he can if he is played at full back or in the halves.

Having said that, I think that Toronto urgently needs to find a couple of good forwards if it is to avoid being in a relegation avoidance struggle, and obviously if it wants to be competitive for a top 5 spot. Sam Lisone at the New Zealand Warriors is on the market (the Warriors want to release him) and he would be a great signing for Toronto.

Will Lisone play for free as well?

The situation is straight forward and simple to me, Toronto are basically up to the salary cap. They can not afford to sign any new players to stay within the cap. Even if they cancel contracts they still have to pay them off which still counts on the salary cap.They had the off season to make sure they had enough players to compete in S.L.They failed to do this simply to sign players that would put them up to the limit.At some stage during this season I would expect S.L. to step into this situation, either give them dispensation or let them go over the cap, which in all probability is a non starter.Whether they should have sorted this out before the season started is neither here nor there. They did not so have nobody else to blame but themselves.

Archived