The General 'Toronto Wolfpack' Discussion Thread

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know why there is all this affectionate nostalgia for Pootang/Poutine.  Wasn't it his regime that banned the great game in France during WW2?

1 minute ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

I don't know why there is all this affectionate nostalgia for Pootang/Poutine.  Wasn't it his regime that banned the great game in France during WW2?

On reflection, I may have got that a teeny bit wrong.

It's easy for established SL teams to say Toronto have mismanaged the salary cap. The truth is that to get promoted they had to over pay players to get them to play in the Championship. Even with that, they failed in their first MPG and were losing their second promotion final with less than 20 mins to go. They literally did just enough to get promoted, they couldn't manage their cap over several years like other teams in SL. The comparison is unfair.

Once they establish themselves, they will be able to manage the cap like other teams. 

1 minute ago, SL17 said:

You can’t buy a team.. End of.

You can't get easily promoted while managing the "cap". Toronto will fine. It's a shame that SL limits it's players earning ability with such a low salary cap.

21 minutes ago, SL17 said:

Why turn a scenario around now? TWP was based on, no expenditure to other clubs.

We’ll foot the bill.

Funny how things change in time.

And again, that was the deal for L1 and the Championship. TWP operated under the assumption that when they made Super League the other clubs there would treat them as equal members and pay their own way, share the TV money etc.

Instead they're looked upon as a cash cow and obliged to accept onerous conditions just to be allowed into the league. 

It would be bad enough if this had been made clear to Argyle 5 years ago when he first asked to join RFL when he could have just said no, but the way SL essentially forced these terms on him 3 days before the MPG reveals what a petty self-serving money-grubbing bunch Super League owners are.

And from the way people act on this forum it's pretty clear that fabled sense of fair-play the English were known for is long dead because far too many seem perfectly happy with this.

47 minutes ago, SL17 said:

I support Leigh and I’m totally relaxed. Just not sure how you feel.

Leigh! It'll just take a couple of losses for Derek to pull the plug again. He did try to buy success, but wasn't rich enough.

1 hour ago, SL17 said:

Leigh, Broncos and KR have done it whilst TWP have been in existence.

How many players did you have in L1 and Championship?

Broncos, relegated. Leigh, relegated. KR were an established SL team.

55 minutes ago, SL17 said:

I’ll give you my total honest opinion.  TWP have gone in to SL under the impression they will not be relegated, they will be protected as Catalans were.

The problem is SL now control SL. 

That never occured to me but it's a good point. Maybe that's the carrot they dangled in front of Argyle last fall to get his agreement. 

A 13-team SL would work. Bring up the Championship winner and in 2021 each team would get a bye week after coming to Toronto.

Very interesting idea.

3 hours ago, TIWIT said:

And again, that was the deal for L1 and the Championship. TWP operated under the assumption that when they made Super League the other clubs there would treat them as equal members and pay their own way, share the TV money etc.

Instead they're looked upon as a cash cow and obliged to accept onerous conditions just to be allowed into the league. 

It would be bad enough if this had been made clear to Argyle 5 years ago when he first asked to join RFL when he could have just said no, but the way SL essentially forced these terms on him 3 days before the MPG reveals what a petty self-serving money-grubbing bunch Super League owners are.

And from the way people act on this forum it's pretty clear that fabled sense of fair-play the English were known for is long dead because far too many seem perfectly happy with this.

Could not have summed up SL and and some people on this forum  better.

Although some SL bosses have cash behind them, they have not got the kind of cash that Argyle has and they intend to have some of it.The tv money that  the Pack should have got,  most probably has been spent on some has been Aussies.

If the pack stay in SL forget your tv money for next season.

3 hours ago, TIWIT said:

That never occured to me but it's a good point. Maybe that's the carrot they dangled in front of Argyle last fall to get his agreement. 

A 13-team SL would work. Bring up the Championship winner and in 2021 each team would get a bye week after coming to Toronto.

Very interesting idea.

13 doesn't work as it makes the Magic Weekend impossible 

5 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

13 doesn't work as it makes the Magic Weekend impossible 

Explain further please. It's pretty late here and my brain is already asleep

Archived