The General 'Toronto Wolfpack' Discussion Thread

6 hours ago, ojx said:

It's easy for established SL teams to say Toronto have mismanaged the salary cap. The truth is that to get promoted they had to over pay players to get them to play in the Championship. Even with that, they failed in their first MPG and were losing their second promotion final with less than 20 mins to go. They literally did just enough to get promoted, they couldn't manage their cap over several years like other teams in SL. The comparison is unfair.

Once they establish themselves, they will be able to manage the cap like other teams. 

You make it sound like they were forced to take the route they did? When in reality it was their own short term thinking that has significantly contributed to this. Always feel the need to clarify I support the Toronto project and i'm not a Leigh fan. That said, I don't sympathise with the position they have put THEMSELVES in and scream unfair. You'd think some of us on here were mind readers but alas this very situation was forecast by many about a year ago and predicted exactly what is unfolding now - so either TWP were blind to it or naively thought they were going to change the goalposts at the 11th hour. 

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, barnyia said:

He says in an interview that toronto will be making room on the salary cap in the near future which should let him atleast finish the season with them. 

Where can we find that interview?

As for “making room on the salary cap in the near future,” I would suggest that the Toronto management moves quickly, otherwise the team may find itself too far behind on the Super League ladder for Tony Gigot, or any other players for that matter, to save the club from relegation at the end of the season.

3 hours ago, bobbruce said:

Other players will have to be coming off contract. 

Probably sell them to Rochdale for £1 and get them back on DR when required. Spirit of the cap and all that......

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

2 hours ago, To Be Confirmed said:

there are probably 4/5 teams in SL that are currently not spending the full salary cap so how can you claim that its holding them back?

As you said then, the salary cap is holding back the 4-5 clubs that could spend more. 

23 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

The issue is that they need to pay high salaries to convince people to do the traveling. 

The SL fixture listed has shafted TWP a bit. They've had an incredibly difficult start to the season, playing all five play off teams in the first 5 fixtures away from home (I know the away from home part is their choice for 3 of the games, but still).

Why would they give a new club such a tough opening 5 games? It's pulling the rug from beneath them before they've even begun.

It happens Wellsy 5 of the first 6 games Leigh had in 2017 was Cas, Leeds, Saints, Wigan and Warrington, the other was Huddersfield.

1 minute ago, Harry Stottle said:

It happens Wellsy 5 of the first 6 games Leigh had in 2017 was Cas, Leeds, Saints, Wigan and Warrington, the other was Huddersfield.

Not forgetting that was Cas's year as well Harry , when they battered everybody 

9 hours ago, ojx said:

Leigh! It'll just take a couple of losses for Derek to pull the plug again. He did try to buy success, but wasn't rich enough.

Well he or any other Championship Chairman don't need any money do they, come the last 4 weeks of the season sign in some ringers on "amatuer trialist status" if a guy who only a couple of years ago who won the Lance Todd trophy has to prove that he can hack it in this game at SL level, Championship clubs will have no problem at all will they.

It is a total sham, and as someone has already pointed out that SL are not overly enamoured with Toronto, this will certainly not help them in the popularity stakes will it?

1 hour ago, Derwent said:

Probably sell them to Rochdale for £1 and get them back on DR when required. Spirit of the cap and all that......

The players if they could be sold for £1 still require paying Rochdale can't afford to pay them, are said player's going to go anywhere for less than they are contracted to Toronto for? They may as well sit at home on the couch and get payed for doing nothing.

14 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Well he or any other Championship Chairman don't need any money do they, come the last 4 weeks of the season sign in some ringers on "amatuer trialist status" if a guy who only a couple of years ago who won the Lance Todd trophy has to prove that he can hack it in this game at SL level, Championship clubs will have no problem at all will they.

It is a total sham, and as someone has already pointed out that SL are not overly enamoured with Toronto, this will certainly not help them in the popularity stakes will it?

I sort of get the whole point of - people should know what Gigot brings, but why?

He won the Lance Todd, but he is not contracted to anyone for this year, you have to imagine there is a reason behind that - It seems logical to test and see if he would "fit in" with the rest of the playing squad. He's well known to be quite disruptive at times.

3 minutes ago, Click said:

I sort of get the whole point of - people should know what Gigot brings, but why?

He won the Lance Todd, but he is not contracted to anyone for this year, you have to imagine there is a reason behind that - It seems logical to test and see if he would "fit in" with the rest of the playing squad. He's well known to be quite disruptive at times.

male genitals , 4 weeks won't prove that one way or another , and there would be no need to play to achieve that , and you know it 

It is quite clear what is happening here. He is playing for free (as a trialist, the only way he can do this) while they try and sort out cap allowance for him. 

We don't need to pretend that he really on any kind of trial.

I wonder if we won't see Chase Stanley back, as that situation is an odd one.

I see Parky's in charge at SL

"I'm not minded that they should be exempt," said Elstone. "I know that makes it very hard for them.

"For me, there are two types of expansion. There is the strategic, planned, structured, logical expansion into an area that has got some heritage versus one that is less structured, less stable and arguably more spurious. I've been very consistent on that.

It's not relegation for TWP that concerns me here it's Elstone's attitude and opinion, Parky 101 that is, straight out of the we don't really want it, we don't mind who we put off and we don't care how it looks,  anyway my bread's buttered by SL Chairmen at the end of the day.

They shouldn't have allowed TWP in then, it gave the wrong impression from the get go.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

31 minutes ago, Dave T said:

It is quite clear what is happening here. He is playing for free (as a trialist, the only way he can do this) while they try and sort out cap allowance for him. 

We don't need to pretend that he really on any kind of trial.

I wonder if we won't see Chase Stanley back, as that situation is an odd one.

A club is sniffing around O'Brien as well apparently. When he signed from Salford they doubled his wages so someone signing him should make room for Gigot. Either O'Brien will need to take a pay cut or someone will need to pay him over £100k though!

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

The players if they could be sold for £1 still require paying Rochdale can't afford to pay them, are said player's going to go anywhere for less than they are contracted to Toronto for? They may as well sit at home on the couch and get payed for doing nothing.

I'm sure a rich businessman somewhere has ways to channel money into Rochdale via sponsorship etc

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

29 minutes ago, Oxford said:

I see Parky's in charge at SL

"I'm not minded that they should be exempt," said Elstone. "I know that makes it very hard for them.

"For me, there are two types of expansion. There is the strategic, planned, structured, logical expansion into an area that has got some heritage versus one that is less structured, less stable and arguably more spurious. I've been very consistent on that.

It's not relegation for TWP that concerns me here it's Elstone's attitude and opinion, Parky 101 that is, straight out of the we don't really want it, we don't mind who we put off and we don't care how it looks,  anyway my bread's buttered by SL Chairmen at the end of the day.

They shouldn't have allowed TWP in then, it gave the wrong impression from the get go.

TWP knew what they were getting into Oxy.  P&R, so Elstone is really giving us nothing other than stating what exists now.

The 2nd lot is a mixed up mess imo.  Newcastle seem to building their own heritage, Coventry haven’t much, neither have Nottingham.  All 3 fall outside Elstones template for expansion.

Then we can reflect on expansion in ‘heritage’ areas.  North & West Wales aren’t exactly ripping it up, London back on the flat line.  

1 hour ago, LR23 said:

A club is sniffing around O'Brien as well apparently. When he signed from Salford they doubled his wages so someone signing him should make room for Gigot. Either O'Brien will need to take a pay cut or someone will need to pay him over £100k though!

Thanks for this info. It would make sense for him to be moved on if they are paying Gigot market rate.  O'Brien may take a moderate pay cut for a longer contract however they are not easy to find in a Sport as brutal as RL for a player who is around 30 years old.  He's a good player is O'Brien. Bound to be quite a few takers for him. 

Archived