The General 'Toronto Wolfpack' Discussion Thread

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, To Be Confirmed said:

so you want to go back tot eh days of Wigan in the 80's and 90's

Are Wigan the only team that can spend more than they are currently?

Besides it's not like we've had a huge amount more winners since the salary cap has been in use.

55 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

TWP knew what they were getting into Oxy.  P&R, so Elstone is really giving us nothing other than stating what exists now.

The 2nd lot is a mixed up mess imo.  Newcastle seem to building their own heritage, Coventry haven’t much, neither have Nottingham.  All 3 fall outside Elstones template for expansion.

Then we can reflect on expansion in ‘heritage’ areas.  North & West Wales aren’t exactly ripping it up, London back on the flat line.  

Now LD I said it's not about relegation for TWP that's the rules of the competition the same as when they were promoted.

It's what Elstone said around that and his attitude was retraction and that's fine if he was more honest about it.

The heritage nonsense was icing on the cake and as you point out this model essentially has the Dragons as eveidence which isn't  expansion it's redirection, or growth for people who land on the side what's not possible on almost every occasion. I just didn't think, or maybe I just hoped, Elstone had a bit more about him than sounding like an RFL clone.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

3 minutes ago, Oxford said:

Now LD I said it's not about relegation for TWP that's the rules of the competition the same as when they were promoted.

It's what Elstone said around that and his attitude was retraction and that's fine if he was more honest about it.

The heritage nonsense was icing on the cake and as you point out this model essentially has the Dragons as eveidence which isn't  expansion it's redirection, or growth for people who land on the side what's not possible on almost every occasion. I just didn't think, or maybe I just hoped, Elstone had a bit more about him than sounding like an RFL clone.

Really? You're more niaive that ever i expected oxy lad

Just now, Robin Evans said:

Really? You're more niaive that ever i expected oxy lad

I know it's TGG's fault, it brings out the innocent dreamer in me! Enjoy the 50 seconds it lasts Robyn or at least look on the What are you listening to thread, to find it again!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Has anyone who has been to Toronto NOT enjoyed the experience? 

I thought it was fabulous. I love france and toulouse being in our league is just heaven for me. 

But Toronto was fabulous. It smells of ganja like and its a bit hippy in place which is no bad thing. A great transport infrastructure. A nice stadium if the weather holds. Get a good range of beers. Nice restos and great craic.

Id love to go and watch fev in canada again though i may have to accept that it might be in the championship...

If fev were in SL id love this trip.

51 minutes ago, Southerner80 said:

Thanks for this info. It would make sense for him to be moved on if they are paying Gigot market rate.  O'Brien may take a moderate pay cut for a longer contract however they are not easy to find in a Sport as brutal as RL for a player who is around 30 years old.  He's a good player is O'Brien. Bound to be quite a few takers for him. 

Yes a decent player on his day but off the top of my head I can't think of anyone looking for a fullback so not sure how accurate the information is? It was from LoveRugbyLeague.

8 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

You can't have an odd number of teams and play an odd number of games , work it out ?

A 13 team Super League means a 24 game home-and-away schedule. Magic Weekend makes 25 games. To keep the season the same number of weeks with a bye week added only have 3 loop fixtures instead of 4. Or extend the season by another week if you want 4.

I think that works.

4 minutes ago, TIWIT said:

A 13 team Super League means a 24 game home-and-away schedule. Magic Weekend makes 25 games. To keep the season the same number of weeks with a bye week added only have 3 loop fixtures instead of 4. Or extend the season by another week if you want 4.

I think that works.

So who has the bye week at Magic?

13 minutes ago, TIWIT said:

I think that works.

I think the point Gubrats is making is that the point of Magic weekend is that all the clubs play a game in one location over a weekend. If there's an odd number of clubs then clearly someone won't have a game.

15 minutes ago, TIWIT said:

I think that works.

I seem to remember Jon Wilkin suggesting a thirteen team Super League a couple of years ago, he hadn’t joined Toronto or agreed to at this stage, and suggested that each teams “bye” week should be built around their trip to Canada, which made some kind of sense. 

13 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

You really haven't thought it through have you?

Yes, if there was a 13 team SL and one had to give Magic a miss I think it should be Catalans as they’d be better off hosting their neutral game elsewhere. It’s quite clear. 

3 hours ago, Oxford said:

I see Parky's in charge at SL

"I'm not minded that they should be exempt," said Elstone. "I know that makes it very hard for them.

"For me, there are two types of expansion. There is the strategic, planned, structured, logical expansion into an area that has got some heritage versus one that is less structured, less stable and arguably more spurious. I've been very consistent on that.

It's not relegation for TWP that concerns me here it's Elstone's attitude and opinion, Parky 101 that is, straight out of the we don't really want it, we don't mind who we put off and we don't care how it looks,  anyway my bread's buttered by SL Chairmen at the end of the day.

They shouldn't have allowed TWP in then, it gave the wrong impression from the get go.

For once Oxy our thoughts are meshing like a hand in a glove, TWP should never have been in a position were they got the wrong impression.

1 hour ago, TIWIT said:

I think that works.

No need to do that, one is going down and one is coming up = 12 teams.

43 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

I'd suggest you go away and draw up a draft set of fixtures with 13 teams, Magic and 3 loop fixtures to see how it would pan out....

How many times have we had this Les ? 

You try to explain , but it doesn't ' sink in ' 

Archived