The General 'Toronto Wolfpack' Discussion Thread

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Moove said:

Lose the attitude mate. Like I said just from memory, I'm not losing any sleep over it

Either way , it's 15 hours ago that I pointed out for a 13 team SL you'd have to drop the Magic weekend , that was the first point made , now if you weren't paying attention , that's your problem 

Just now, Man of Kent said:

Brian Noble’s left. Quite right too

Blimey! They’ve seen the light. From experience (Salford) he’s terrible at his current line of work - no strategy or critical thinking to his recruitment, just lines up people who catch his eye regardless of position and how they will fit into a team.

4 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Mutual consent. No surprise if they asked him to leave having presided over their recruitment 

https://www.torontowolfpack.com/toronto-wolfpack-and-brian-noble-agree-to-part-ways/

Interesting to see what happens to howl brands since he was the director of the UK company!

5 hours ago, Oxford said:

I see Parky's in charge at SL

"I'm not minded that they should be exempt," said Elstone. "I know that makes it very hard for them.

"For me, there are two types of expansion. There is the strategic, planned, structured, logical expansion into an area that has got some heritage versus one that is less structured, less stable and arguably more spurious. I've been very consistent on that.

It's not relegation for TWP that concerns me here it's Elstone's attitude and opinion, Parky 101 that is, straight out of the we don't really want it, we don't mind who we put off and we don't care how it looks,  anyway my bread's buttered by SL Chairmen at the end of the day.

They shouldn't have allowed TWP in then, it gave the wrong impression from the get go.

Then Elstone goes on to say they are looking at ways to helpTWP financily, what are they going to do collect all the empties for them to take back! It's laughable and what is really at the heart of the matter, their owner could buy out every club in SL with the money in his pocket and that really riles them as beside him they look like the two bit chancers they are, big men in small towns. That's why Trump hates that Bloomberg has entered the race for the Democrats nomination, he's got more money than Trump could ever dream of and it gnaws away at him inside every minute of every day.

18 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Brian Noble’s left. Quite right too

Shocked. Didn't think that was the Canadian way! 

Seriously though I think this is a good move. I've made the point before that the two Brian's are good story tellers to the media, but a bit loose with the facts and detail, if Noble is anything like that in his day job then he isn't what they need. 

They need some honest views and realism to navigate this season and beyond. 

I'm not really sure why Elstone has to describe Canadian expansion as he does. I agree with the broad point he is making and have made it myself that SLE haven't decided to spend millions expanding into Canada and nobody thought we should. But referring to it as 'spurious' is incredibly mean-spirited, and sometimes when these opportunities arise you have to take them. He could easily make his point but finish on a positive. It is unnecessarily negative from him. 

17 minutes ago, Clogiron said:

Then Elstone goes on to say they are looking at ways to helpTWP financily, what are they going to do collect all the empties for them to take back! It's laughable and what is really at the heart of the matter, their owner could buy out every club in SL with the money in his pocket and that really riles them as beside him they look like the two bit chancers they are, big men in small towns. That's why Trump hates that Bloomberg has entered the race for the Democrats nomination, he's got more money than Trump could ever dream of and it gnaws away at him inside every minute of every day.

What happened in the past and has given all the evidence to the let's just stay as we are brigade is that the RFL was indecisive, lacked vision, never understood there was a long haul to expansion and never repeat never stuck to anything and saw it through. The reason they have that model in their heads is the Dragons which had far more going for it than against it, did most of the hard yards themselves and were protected from relegation in order to make it work. That is the one real example where the RFL got it right in terms of expansion logic.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

1 hour ago, dkw said:

Getting more to watch the game isn't expansion also? 

Just seen your usual emoji answer without comment, it is all about perspective, I see multiple teams being generated in NA who will not produce SL quality player's in any numbers in the next 30/40 years as being detrimental to the game over here, if nothing else the game will degenerate in terms of quality, teams will have to give way to include these new entities in the top division simply because there will not be enough player's to go round, we employ over 90 overseas player's as it is because we can't  produce enough and a good 75% of those we import are just of an average quality, many people will walk away from the game, irrespective of all the daydreamers who believe speccies will switch allegiance to the "Super Clubs" over here it just won't happen.

I could go on but I won't, that is just a portion of how I see this NA excersize being harmful, instead of grumbling with a one finger reaction, convert me, tell me how it will work, why it will be good for the whole of the game over here you myst have some thoughts on the subject, please share.

1 minute ago, Oxford said:

What happened in the past and has given all the evidence to the let's just stay as we are brigade is that the RFL was indecisive, lacked vision, never understood there was a long haul to expansion and never repeat never stuck to anything and saw it through. The reason they have that model in their heads is the Dragons which had far more going for it than against it, did most of the hard yards themselves and were protected from relegation in order to make it work. That is the one real example where the RFL got it right in terms of expansion logic.

And look what they did in return, coming over and winning the Challenge Cup, signing dubious player's who show up the ineffectual rules that the great and the good have put in place. I know I have used the anolgy beforehand and it said that he didn't attend but you can imagine  Bernard G strolling in to the Chairman's meeting, banging two meat cleavers into the table and as they cower in a corner wetting themselves saying "Listen you pussies, I'm signing Falou, anyone like to object? good you pieces of merde. Carry on" retrieving his clevers and strolling out.

8 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Just seen your usual emoji answer without comment, it is all about perspective, I see multiple teams being generated in NA who will not produce SL quality player's in any numbers in the next 30/40 years as being detrimental to the game over here, if nothing else the game will degenerate in terms of quality, teams will have to give way to include these new entities in the top division simply because there will not be enough player's to go round, we employ over 90 overseas player's as it is because we can't  produce enough and a good 75% of those we import are just of an average quality, many people will walk away from the game, irrespective of all the daydreamers who believe speccies will switch allegiance to the "Super Clubs" over here it just won't happen.

I could go on but I won't, that is just a portion of how I see this NA excersize being harmful, instead of grumbling with a one finger reaction, convert me, tell me how it will work, why it will be good for the whole of the game over here you myst have some thoughts on the subject, please share.

You'll be lucky 

1 minute ago, Clogiron said:

And look what they did in return, coming over and winning the Challenge Cup, signing dubious player's who show up the ineffectual rules that the great and the good have put in place. I know I have used the anolgy beforehand and it said that he didn't attend but you can imagine  Bernard G strolling in to the Chairman's meeting, banging two meat cleavers into the table and as they cower in a corner wetting themselves saying "Listen you pussies, I'm signing Falou, anyone like to object? good you pieces of merde. Carry on" retrieving his clevers and strolling out.

I just so wish that is what happened ?

2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Please define your explanation of "expansion" to me, I consider it to be getting more participants playing the game, thus expanding it.

While not getting more participants playing the game at grassroots level, I’m of the opinion that Toronto, in a roundabout way, are creating more opportunities for aspiring players to play at a professional or semi pro level. I’ve mentioned this before. For every player that leaves a club to play for Toronto, creates an opportunity for a player to take up their former position at said club. If those players didn’t upsticks, they would be blocking the progress of another player. If Toronto didn’t exist their current players would still be at their former clubs and the players that have replaced them would still be in the reserves or lost to the game. 

14 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

My "usual Emoji" answer was down to your ridiculous reply of "if you say so" so don't try and take the high ground. Im not going yo waste my time trying to convert you, would be a complete waste of time as your embarrassingly close minded, same as your little white Knight. 

4 minutes ago, burnleywelsh said:

While not getting more participants playing the game at grassroots level, I’m of the opinion that Toronto, in a roundabout way, are creating more opportunities for aspiring players to play at a professional or semi pro level. I’ve mentioned this before. For every player that leaves a club to play for Toronto, creates an opportunity for a player to take up their former position at said club. If those players didn’t upsticks, they would be blocking the progress of another player. If Toronto didn’t exist their current players would still be at their former clubs and the players that have replaced them would still be in the reserves or lost to the game. 

Wrong. There are only so many quality players in the game. If 2/3 more clubs are introduced they will take the better players. This will have a knock on effect on all leagues including the amateur ranks. 

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

11 hours ago, dkw said:

My "usual Emoji" answer was down to your ridiculous reply of "if you say so" so don't try and take the high ground. Im not going yo waste my time trying to convert you, would be a complete waste of time as your embarrassingly close minded, same as your little white Knight. 

You didn't dissapoint, no more than I expected.

Why am I closed minded if my opinon - and I do take the trouble to express why I have such an opinion - differs from yours?

You are like the guy who was asked how does an automatic car work, and he answered automatically, isn't that obvious!

Isn’t the goal to have NA pro teams and grow the game? We need to look 15+ years into the future. Wanting a team in an international city with a billionaire owner to fail is mind boggling. I think Toronto and other expansion teams should be protected until they are established. 

Archived