The General 'Toronto Wolfpack' Discussion Thread

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Bert1 said:

Isn’t the goal to have NA pro teams and grow the game? We need to look 15+ years into the future. Wanting a team in an international city with a billionaire owner to fail is mind boggling. I think Toronto and other expansion teams should be protected until they are established. 

Who wants it to fail ?

12 minutes ago, DEANO said:

Wrong. There are only so many quality players in the game. If 2/3 more clubs are introduced they will take the better players. This will have a knock on effect on all leagues including the amateur ranks. 

No....you’re wrong........I’m getting the hang of this forum lark. ?? Better players move on.....other players, younger players are given a chance, exposed to full time training. How many players are lost to the game because their pathway is blocked by players already in situ. More opportunities for aspiring players

4 minutes ago, burnleywelsh said:

No....you’re wrong........I’m getting the hang of this forum lark. ?? Better players move on.....other players, younger players are given a chance, exposed to full time training. How many players are lost to the game because their pathway is blocked by players already in situ. More opportunities for aspiring players

It's a bit of both , yes ' top ' players moving on does give others opportunity , but it can reduce quality as well 

The argument then is if that potential drop in quality affects UK RL's ability to finance itself ?

8 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

Plenty of RL fans and opponents of Toronto. 
The argument goes that these new teams are stealing players.....as if we shouldn’t look to developing players anywhere and everywhere.

No , the argument is how long will it take for them to produce players of the standard that they are operating at ?

I'd suggest it's 20+ years at least 

How long do you suggest ?

4 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

It's a bit of both , yes ' top ' players moving on does give others opportunity , but it can reduce quality as well 

The argument then is if that potential drop in quality affects UK RL's ability to finance itself ?

Wigan losing Bateman and George Williams has reduced the value of Wigan in what way ?. Some good young players coming through there.

5 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

No , the argument is how long will it take for them to produce players of the standard that they are operating at ?

I'd suggest it's 20+ years at least 

How long do you suggest ?

Well considering they ain’t producing players yet it’ll be longer than 20 years. If they have a youth set up or reserves who are they going to play against 

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

3 minutes ago, DEANO said:

Well considering they ain’t producing players yet it’ll be longer than 20 years. If they have a youth set up or reserves who are they going to play against 

I did say 20+ , that does give me some ' leeway ' , and I'm suggesting ' a ' player who because of TWP in a few years takes up RL in Ontario , and just happens to be good enough to get picked by a UK club or defects from a Union background ? , In other words I'm being generous 

8 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

At this point, who cares how many players they have? You can’t say, have a team wanting to enter RL from Peterborough and say ‘right in 20 years time, when you have local players, get back to us and we’ll let you in’ you need to get a more widespread game, which gets exposed to more people, which in time leads to more players - but it takes time, years and years. Giving up after a season or two results in the game we have today, geographically limited.

I haven't said that , and nobody has ever asked any team to do that 

But also because of that , it is realistic to be careful how many teams you are willing to admit whose existence isn't producing any players ( yes this point might well now draw in claims of heartland clubs not ' producing ' players ? , But those clubs helped to start producing players in their areas over a 100 years ago and still do ) 

I am fine with Toronto , I'm glad they got promoted to their financial level rather than tipping the Championship massively out of balance , but that doesn't mean they cannot be questioned on compliance with the structure they have freely joined , and their future contributions ?

1 minute ago, Johnoco said:

This time it’s Toronto. Before that it was Catalans, or London or Sheffield or.....

Theres always a reason in RL to ‘look after the heartlands’. Which is why we are where we are today. 

Yes it is , with enough players currently to supply a team in Canada , that is where we are , thankfully because of the heartlands 

In truth your answer above is poor , I expected more , or are you saying I'm right ?

2 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Mutual consent. No surprise if they asked him to leave having presided over their recruitment 

https://www.torontowolfpack.com/toronto-wolfpack-and-brian-noble-agree-to-part-ways/

HideousWiltedBonobo-size_restricted.gif

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

Archived