The General 'Toronto Wolfpack' Discussion Thread

8 hours ago, Marty Funkhouser said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/40407096

At Salford since he was 15 according to BBC but you are both wrong.

From the man himself...https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/niall-evalds-chris-kendall-is-the-reason-im-at-salford-23143/

Nothing to do with Wigan at all.

Don’t let facts get in the way of a good old bit of Salford bashing!

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, burnleywelsh said:

Burnley , it's well known that Wigan sign EVERYBODY 

RFL rules used to state that you could only have a maximum of I think 12 from any age group on your scholarship , but I've been told by reliable sources ( parents of kids on Wigan scholarship ) that there were always double the total number allowed at Wigan scholarship training sessions 

10 hours ago, burnleywelsh said:

The reason I picked up on the Evalds reference that you made, was because I remember speaking to Brian Foley (Wigan) about him. He told me that he was an extremely talented player, but there were too many fullbacks in the Wigan system ahead of him. Therefore, moves were  made to find him an alternative club. Hence the move to Salford. I accept that he developed further at Salford, but, he was a Wigan project. So you are very wrong in saying his professional development had nothing to do with Wigan.

As I've put above , Wigan used to grab everybody and anybody , my son played at a community club in Leigh , a coach at a different Leigh club approached us for him to move to his club , he suggested if he moved the said coach could then get my son onto the Wigan scholarship , as he had done with others 

I think it's a bit odd to try and just put development down to one source. Players develop over a long time and they have many influences at amateur and pro level. 

The more quality clubs, pathways and opportunities for players the better. 

5 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I think it's a bit odd to try and just put development down to one source. Players develop over a long time and they have many influences at amateur and pro level. 

The primary influence is schools and community clubs where they first get to pick up a ball with some coaching and competitive matches 

RU recognise this which is why clubs offer ' rugby tots ' for age 3 onwards 

23 minutes ago, Dave T said:

It's not odd Dave , it's disingenuous , people use it to enhance or degrade their or others arguments on here , when they know the truth 

You know who I'm referring to here ?

17 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

I think you have misread that.

But Salford dont run an academy, the Hull clubs didnt run their own, Hull KR have produced next to no-one since they rejoined SL

Largely SL players come from 6 or 7 SL clubs and Bradford. 

Liam watts and Scott taylor? Two of the premier props in the competition 

So what exactly is Chase Stanley's problem anyway? Why can't he get back into the UK? And might that cause him problems entering Canada later in the season? 

6 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

It's not odd Dave , it's disingenuous , people use it to enhance or degrade their or others arguments on here , when they know the truth 

You know who I'm referring to here ?

I think it also blinds people into thinking we can do away with the amateur game and just have academies.

Which is a bit like saying if we all go to university then lets scrap High Schools and Primary.

14 minutes ago, TIWIT said:

So what exactly is Chase Stanley's problem anyway? Why can't he get back into the UK? And might that cause him problems entering Canada later in the season? 

Was there not an issue with players misusing visa's last year?

I can't help but think that Toronto Wolfpack are going to get looked on badly by the home office.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/48519482

16 minutes ago, TIWIT said:

He’s got an ancestry visa now but is waiting for a Samoan passport as you have no overseas quota places left but one non fed trained place left. He can come over but can’t play yet.

1 hour ago, TheLegendOfTexEvans said:

Was there not an issue with players misusing visa's last year?

I can't help but think that Toronto Wolfpack are going to get looked on badly by the home office.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/48519482

Misusing is not how I'd put.

RFL told them to get the wrong visa is what happened

11 minutes ago, TboneFromTO said:

That’s not right - he breached the terms of his stay. If I was a cynic I’d say Toronto tried their luck to avoid applying for a full visa. It is complicated with time split between UK and Toronto but visas are not the responsibility of the RFL. Toronto wanted the RFL to lobby the Home Office to get visa exemptions but they’ve got no chance there really.

28 minutes ago, LR23 said:

That’s not right - he breached the terms of his stay. If I was a cynic I’d say Toronto tried their luck to avoid applying for a full visa. It is complicated with time split between UK and Toronto but visas are not the responsibility of the RFL. Toronto wanted the RFL to lobby the Home Office to get visa exemptions but they’ve got no chance there really.

Methinks you're confusing with Darcy Lussick.

1 hour ago, TboneFromTO said:

TWP supporters keep telling everyone how the club is run so fantastically but the club couldn't arrange the correct visa.

When in doubt,blame the RFL.

Thank you for your valuable contribution.

6 minutes ago, terrywebbisgod said:

TWP supporters keep telling everyone how the club is run so fantastically but the club couldn't arrange the correct visa.

When in doubt,blame the RFL.

They got the visa the RFL told them they needed...

9 minutes ago, TboneFromTO said:

They got the visa the RFL told them they needed...

The RFL are not immigration advisors and it would have been fine if he hadn’t breached the terms of his stay - that’s why he wasn’t allowed back in.

40 minutes ago, Loup said:

Methinks you're confusing with Darcy Lussick.

It’s up to Toronto to make sure their players (not known for their intelligence generally) either have the right visa or are aware of what they can and can’t do. But yes I agree, Lussick was at least as much at fault.

16 hours ago, TboneFromTO said:

The dog ate my homework. (or may be it was a Wolf)

Surely if your this all singing all dancing corporation of a transatlantic sports you would have employed the services of an immigration lawyer?

Or at the time was a tattoo artist for the players seen as the main priority.

4 hours ago, Angelic Cynic said:

It seems London Skolars are still waiting for the financial investment from Toronto - as agreed,and announced,in December 2018

https://www.skolarsrl.com/2018/12/19/toronto-wolfpack-invest-in-london-skolars/

Given that nothing has happened since I'd say this announcement was perhaps a wee bit premature. Talk is cheap after all.

16 hours ago, Angelic Cynic said:

It seems London Skolars are still waiting for the financial investment from Toronto - as agreed,and announced,in December 2018

https://www.skolarsrl.com/2018/12/19/toronto-wolfpack-invest-in-london-skolars/

Read it carefully...

The new partnership also includes an in-kind financial investment alongside ongoing commercial, performance, development and community support.

A bit of wordsmithing going on here ‘in-kind financial investment’?

Archived