The General 'Toronto Wolfpack' Discussion Thread

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Robert Elstone is a truly embarrassing leader for northern hemisphere rugby league.

British rugby league has not had a leader of any quality since Richard Lewis left the RFL.

Richard Lewis's presence was a blessing to the game, but oh so short lived.

I actually think elstone is right, in the sense that relying on the element of chance associated with p&r is not a very strategic way of going about expansion of this scale. That's not a criticism of Toronto, who have done remarkably well and have given Superleague a great boost, it's a criticism of the RFL. 

18 minutes ago, ghost crayfish said:

I actually think elstone is right, in the sense that relying on the element of chance associated with p&r is not a very strategic way of going about expansion of this scale. That's not a criticism of Toronto, who have done remarkably well and have given Superleague a great boost, it's a criticism of the RFL. 

Are you sure that is what he was getting at?

I didn't get any hint of that point, with which I fully agree.

Elstone would rather only pay lip service to expansion, by talking about the fantasy Manchester and Liverpool clubs. But apparently its Toronto that are spurious. 

He does seem a bit of a snake, I remember last year how he was taking credit for the Catalans game in Barcelona when he didn't have aowt to do with it. 

I think there’s a lot of things Elstone wants to do but the clubs keep blocking him. At the end of the day, he’s only a spokesman for the clubs.

RE: expansion, it’s been said before that there is no plan. Do SL get a say when the RFL accept a new team into the structure? What will the sport look like in 10 years time? 

1 hour ago, ghost crayfish said:

He is right, but his conclusion should still be more positive, that it is an opportunity that should be embraced and capitalised on instead of branding it spurious. 

It would be crazy if these other clubs bei g touted are not part of joined up agreements between the, RFL and SLE. 

I don't want to open a specific thread for this, but I was wondering how many countries or nations have hosted a SL game so far?

England and Wales of course (any games in Scotland or Ireland?), France, Australia, Spain.

Canada is coming in April, now Monaco could join the club in June (Catalans-Wolfpack).

Any other exotic location?

2 hours ago, Manfred Mann said:

Robert Elstone is a truly embarrassing leader for northern hemisphere rugby league.

British rugby league has not had a leader of any quality since Richard Lewis left the RFL.

Richard Lewis's presence was a blessing to the game, but oh so short lived.

He's not the leader of northern hemisphere RL. It's not his job. 

2 hours ago, ghost crayfish said:

This

I can understand the decisions that have been taken regarding TWP so far, even though some of it may be a bit mean-spirited and could have been done in different ways. But I fail to see any benefit from being negative about their involvement at all, and he has done it a couple of times now. 

From some of his early interviews, he was one of the main men responsible for the disastrous PSG team, and maybe that has scarred him, but he acknowledges that the PSG thing failed due to under-funding. Here we are with a private funding stream bigger than anything we have seen with previous SLE expansion teams and that still aint good enough. 

I just think he is too risk averse to be inspirational. Of course we know that TWP is a club built on sand foundations at the moment. If Argyle walks away in the short term there will be problems, but that is just part  of the risk of expansion teams. I don't think we need to overly worry about it, teams come and go in sport, I'd rather we were trying and failing than not trying at all.

1 hour ago, Mattrhino said:

Elstone would rather only pay lip service to expansion, by talking about the fantasy Manchester and Liverpool clubs. But apparently its Toronto that are spurious. 

He does seem a bit of a snake, I remember last year how he was taking credit for the Catalans game in Barcelona when he didn't have aowt to do with it. 

I don't think Everton fans shed any tears when he left them to join SL.

33 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Elstone has done some good things that SL needs to do.

The improvement of presentation, the increase in media around the game, the secondary stuff like documentaries and magazine shows, the branding is the best we have ever had.

The problem is, we all hope for a Bernie Ecclestone or Richard Lewis type leader who had an actual vision for the game and the personality to drive it forward and it's becoming clear and obvious that Elstone isnt that man. 

Anything large or blue sky seems either either missed or fumbled.

Folau was a needless mess SL caused itself

All the good headlines Toronto generated have been squandered and we are now needlessly squabbling about them

He keeps bringing expansion in to the conversation but just in vague nonsensical terms

It's only fair imo to give him more time go execute his vision but I've lost a bit of faith that he has a vision  for the game outside some of the low hanging fruit we have seen 

Even if he does have a vision, how can he get on with it when his Paymasters tell him what to do and say. 

9 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I just think he is too risk averse to be inspirational. Of course we know that TWP is a club built on sand foundations at the moment. If Argyle walks away in the short term there will be problems, but that is just part  of the risk of expansion teams. I don't think we need to overly worry about it, teams come and go in sport, I'd rather we were trying and failing than not trying at all.

A good summary.

I'm just really struggling to see what he thinks the risks of TWP are. All the risk lies with Argyle. If he pulls the plug, we get a week's bad press and then the rest of the world moves on, and frankly that week won't add up to anywhere near the good publicity generated over the last few years. 

My concern is that the risk he - or more accurately his bosses the SL chairmen - really fears is that one of their own will have to make way for TWP or its successors. 

Say HKR finish bottom this year and Toulouse finish top. I can't see that standing, so maybe keeping casting shade on Toronto is necessary in case the chairmen themselves need to boot them out to save one of their own.

1 minute ago, Toby Chopra said:

My concern is that the risk he - or more accurately his bosses the SL chairmen - really fears is that one of their own will have to make way for TWP or its successors. 

This. 

They also fear New York, Ottawa and anybody else who wants to be a part of it. 

They need to embrace it if they really want the game to grow.

2008 RFL Wakefield & District Young Volunteer of the Year

1 minute ago, Toby Chopra said:

A good summary.

I'm just really struggling to see what he thinks the risks of TWP are. All the risk lies with Argyle. If he pulls the plug, we get a week's bad press and then the rest of the world moves on, and frankly that week won't add up to anywhere near the good publicity generated over the last few years. 

Say HKR finish bottom this year and Toulouse finish top. I can't see that standing, so maybe keeping casting shade on Toronto is necessary in case the chairmen themselves need to boot them out to save one of their own.

I'm not 100% sure this is the issue. I also don't think we should give Elstone a free pass by saying he is just a mouthpiece for the clubs, maybe he just actually doesn't buy it. I think one area where TWP can be criticised is in some of the dealings they had. We know they have had issues with suppliers, not invested in Skolars as they said, not been forthcoming with a promised transfer fee that caused issues with a club, apparently weren't forthcoming on providing financial info that SLE wanted last year- I think it is feasible that Elstone just isn't impressed and is justifying why there is a somewhat cynical approach. 

But I'd rather that was dealt with behind the scenes. TWP are a Super League team this year and it is completely out of order for the SLE CEO to portray them negatively, as it would any other club. 

1 hour ago, manu266 said:

I don't want to open a specific thread for this, but I was wondering how many countries or nations have hosted a SL game so far?

England and Wales of course (any games in Scotland or Ireland?), France, Australia, Spain.

Canada is coming in April, now Monaco could join the club in June (Catalans-Wolfpack).

Any other exotic location?

They have played Challenge Cup Finals,and a Magic Weekend at Murrayfield.Scotland.

Toronto will NOT be playing elsewhere in Europe this year - https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/toronto-wolfpack-wont-play-home-games-on-the-road-in-europe-in-2020/ - so they said.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

Archived