The General 'Toronto Wolfpack' Discussion Thread

26 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

An example would be Toronto, they the have the facility to spend a lot more and push the game forward but are limited by the spending power of smaller clubs. 

I can't accept this, it's the salary cap that prevents TWP from doing what you say, making it so that clubs can't overspend which is what it's really for.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is squarely down to McDermott & mainly Noble. 

They have massively let down an owner new to the sport, their knowledge and experience of the sport and operational rules should have been more than enough to foresee these issues and deal with them through proper planning. Very poor effort indeed.

1 hour ago, Themusician_2 said:

They will be relegated

If they are allowed to be relegated it will be the end of expansion and the start of "The Great Contraction".

The team played like absolute dogshit against Saints. 

The thing is, they have some good players with some decent pedigrees but as someone else pointed out, they seem poorly coached at the moment.  

Big problem I see though is they have no power up front.  Can't play champagne Rugby if you have no platform.  

They came out on the wrong end against the top five teams in the competition but they didnt look bad in most games, barr the Saints match.  I am confident they will get some Ws soon.

3 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

Rather than dwelling on the massive errors that have been made, the question needs to be asked, what can be done to steady the ship right now? 

I'd say sack McDermott to start, he should be following Noble out of the door. 

And tell us exactly how that would help the situation ?

4 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

Rather than dwelling on the massive errors that have been made, the question needs to be asked, what can be done to steady the ship right now? 

I'd say sack McDermott to start, he should be following Noble out of the door. 

First thing would be a competitive front row as last night’s trio of Sidlow, Akers and Springer is not Super League standard.

12 minutes ago, CanadianRugger said:

The team played like absolute dogshit against Saints. 

The thing is, they have some good players with some decent pedigrees but as someone else pointed out, they seem poorly coached at the moment.  

Big problem I see though is they have no power up front.  Can't play champagne Rugby if you have no platform.  

They came out on the wrong end against the top five teams in the competition but they didnt look bad in most games, barr the Saints match.  I am confident they will get some Ws soon.

But i see what McDermott is trying to do...this wide open style of play, especially off of breakdowns will eventually reap huge  benefits if the players have the skills to make it work...it takes time.  A huge gamble though, but with the short bench and injuries what choice does he have...the dye has been cast....

Just now, Smudger06 said:

Bring in a better Head Coach immediately. Argyle can pay mega bucks and he's not limited in his spend in Coaching. 

And that will make their injuries disappear and give them more players ? 

After last night you are correct , you have to wonder what tactics be told them to adopt in the conditions ?

Just now, GUBRATS said:

After last night you are correct , you have to wonder what tactics be told them to adopt in the conditions ?

Its clearly part of a good and sound long term strategy employed by the Coach.

3 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

How he allowed them to play like that against St Helens of all teams in that weather is simply not acceptable. He oversaw the demise of Leeds and is now proceeding to do the same at Toronto. 

1 minute ago, Smudger06 said:

How he allowed them to play like that against St Helens of all teams in that weather is simply not acceptable. He oversaw the demise of Leeds and is now proceeding to do the same at Toronto. 

Leave him there then ?????????

2 hours ago, Oxford said:

I can't accept this, it's the salary cap that prevents TWP from doing what you say, making it so that clubs can't overspend which is what it's really for.

The salary cap, in its current form, does not prevent clubs overspending. The salary cap simply prevents players earning potential and lack of investment in the playing squad.  A better system would reward teams for good finance so preventing overspending for poor run clubs and allowing more spent on players for well  run clubs.

4 minutes ago, North but south said:

The salary cap, in its current form, does not prevent clubs overspending. The salary cap simply prevents players earning potential and lack of investment in the playing squad.  A better system would reward teams for good finance so preventing overspending for poor run clubs and allowing more spent on players for well  run clubs.

Quantity , ' good finance ' ?

3 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

There is no-one better than McDermott at getting his teams up for it at the right time. There is a reason he is the most successful coach in SL.

Toronto need to target their games. You only need to win more than 1 other side.

Bring in amateurs, triallists, kids, loans, fat bob from the rose and crown if he wants a game for free. Just get some warm bodies in the side

Rest players for the next 2 where possible, leeds are flying and there is no point wasting energy in games you arent likely to win, the cup doesnt matter so rest whoever you can. 

Aim for Wakefield at York and putting up a better fight against Hudds and go back to lamport on an upswing. 

You have 3 matches against wakefield, 2 against HKR which care 4 pointers, Salford arent the team they were last year, hull and les Catalans are always capable of losing against poor sides

Pick 7 or 8 games to focus on, win 5 or 6 of them and hope.a.good side puts in a terrible performance or a top.side rest players against you. 

I think there were more bad sides last year and so the bottom took more points than usual.i dont think either of the bottom two will get to 20pts this year. 

That's ludicrous. 

6 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

There is no-one better than McDermott at getting his teams up for it at the right time. There is a reason he is the most successful coach in SL.

Toronto need to target their games. You only need to win more than 1 other side.

Bring in amateurs, triallists, kids, loans, fat bob from the rose and crown if he wants a game for free. Just get some warm bodies in the side

Rest players for the next 2 where possible, leeds are flying and there is no point wasting energy in games you arent likely to win, the cup doesnt matter so rest whoever you can. 

Aim for Wakefield at York and putting up a better fight against Hudds and go back to lamport on an upswing. 

You have 3 matches against wakefield, 2 against HKR which care 4 pointers, Salford arent the team they were last year, hull and les Catalans are always capable of losing against poor sides

Pick 7 or 8 games to focus on, win 5 or 6 of them and hope.a.good side puts in a terrible performance or a top.side rest players against you. 

I think there were more bad sides last year and so the bottom took more points than usual.i dont think either of the bottom two will get to 20pts this year. 

Yes , but that is still no excuse for stupid tactics in bad weather , so did he tell them to do it , or did they just ignore instructions ? 

6 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

3 against Hull KR Scotchy...those games are likely the relegation deciders. If HKR won all 3 then 8 points plus any PD would be very unlikely to be made up by TW. 

Just now, GUBRATS said:

Yes , but that is still no excuse for stupid tactics in bad weather , so did he tell them to do it , or did they just ignore instructions ? 

He told them to do it..he has a plan...it will be a successful plan in the end...teams has not gelled yet.

It is a good plan considering the circumstances.

2 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

He told them to do it..he has a plan...it will be a successful plan in the end...teams has not gelled yet.

It is a good plan considering the circumstances.

' gelled ' , most of these lot played last season 

Archived