The General 'Toronto Wolfpack' Discussion Thread

1 hour ago, Hela Wigmen said:

I’m not. You are. 

A ridiculous tackling technique if you even dare call it that. 

If you were correct then a further penalty would have been imposed..it wasn't.

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, North but south said:

Like I said similar to ffp where only a club's outgoings in transfers, employee benefits (including wages), amortisation of transfers, finance costs and dividends will be counted over income from gate receipts, TV revenue, advertising, merchandising, disposal of tangible fixed assets, finance, sales of players and prize money. Any money spent on infrastructure, training facilities or youth development will not be included.

There are much smarter people than me to make the fine print but reading the current regulations on the salary cap youth players and those earning under £20k can be counted if 25 players aren't listed. There is no benefit for running a profit or a financially stable club, I'd say the current regulations it makes more sense to pay your players low wages and spend big on a couple players like sbw. It doesn't encourage investment in infrastructure or youth.

But why on earth would you have a squad of less than 25? 

I don't follow your logic at all here tbh. 

45 minutes ago, North but south said:

Like I said similar to ffp where only a club's outgoings in transfers, employee benefits (including wages), amortisation of transfers, finance costs and dividends will be counted over income from gate receipts, TV revenue, advertising, merchandising, disposal of tangible fixed assets, finance, sales of players and prize money. Any money spent on infrastructure, training facilities or youth development will not be included.

There are much smarter people than me to make the fine print but reading the current regulations on the salary cap youth players and those earning under £20k can be counted if 25 players aren't listed. There is no benefit for running a profit or a financially stable club, I'd say the current regulations it makes more sense to pay your players low wages and spend big on a couple players like sbw. It doesn't encourage investment in infrastructure or youth.

That makes no sense. If you are turning round and saying we are offering incredibly low wages then no one of any merit is gonna want to play for you. It wouldn't exactly be hard for other super league clubs to outbid you. You'll end up signing a load championship players and a couple of big name has beens instead of spreading the talent across the entire squad. 

2 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

That makes no sense. If you are turning round and saying we are offering incredibly low wages then no one of any merit is gonna want to play for you. It wouldn't exactly be hard for other super league clubs to outbid you. You'll end up signing a load championship players and a couple of big name has beens instead of spreading the talent across the entire squad. 

It's simple really. You have a maximum of £2m to spend on players, if you remove the marquee players you can spend around £70k per player. This figure is already low for most professional sports people but then you'll also have senior players on much more and since the average player earns between £20k and £40k which is exceptional low, it seems most clubs are already doing what I said.

3 hours ago, Dave T said:

But why on earth would you have a squad of less than 25? 

I don't follow your logic at all here tbh. 

There can be a multiple of reason why you could have a squad less than 25, we had teams last year with less than 25 registered players. The regulations include if you don't have a squad of 25 so it must have been considered a risk when the regulations were written. I personally wouldn't included any players under 21.

1 minute ago, North but south said:

There can be a multiple of reason why you could have a squad less than 25, we had teams last year with less than 25 registered players. The regulations include if you don't have a squad of 25 so it must have been considered a risk when the regulations were written. I personally wouldn't included any players under 21.

Which SL teams had less than 25 players last year? 

Which regulation talks about if you don't have 25 players? 

8 minutes ago, North but south said:

It's simple really. You have a maximum of £2m to spend on players, if you remove the marquee players you can spend around £70k per player. This figure is already low for most professional sports people but then you'll also have senior players on much more and since the average player earns between £20k and £40k which is exceptional low, it seems most clubs are already doing what I said.

What are your numbers based on? Where are you getting your info to claim average players are on £20 to £40k? 

Just now, Dave T said:

Which SL teams had less than 25 players last year? 

Which regulation talks about if you don't have 25 players? 

The salary cap covers all divisions not just the SL. It also talks about exclusions to the regulations, stating that these players also count if you don't have 25 players.

Since you clearly agree with the salary cap and I don't see the positives in it can you explain why it is a good thing?

14 minutes ago, Dave T said:

What are your numbers based on? Where are you getting your info to claim average players are on £20 to £40k? 

They are the government figures used on their career service and apprenticeship info. Could be completely wrong but I'm not going to spend half a day working out the true figures, if you have them I happy to be corrected.

11 minutes ago, North but south said:

The salary cap covers all divisions not just the SL. It also talks about exclusions to the regulations, stating that these players also count if you don't have 25 players.

Since you clearly agree with the salary cap and I don't see the positives in it can you explain why it is a good thing?

This is the TWP thread and the discussion has been about the SL Cap Regulations, I don't think it is helpful to wrap those discussions together, in the same way we won't wrap it up with the NRL's cap. 

TWP announced today a deal with the Holiday Inn at Toronto International Airport to house visiting teams and fans for the 2020 season. 

I so hope that will make everyone happy... But I'm not holding my breath.

42 minutes ago, TIWIT said:

TWP announced today a deal with the Holiday Inn at Toronto International Airport to house visiting teams and fans for the 2020 season. 

I think the fans would rather stay downtown would they not....I know I would.

35 minutes ago, SL17 said:

Thats good. Lots of flights being cancelled at present due to the COVID-19. Not sure how this will work out as it will get worse before getting better.

It has the potential to be a game changer.

5 hours ago, TIWIT said:

Not sure it’s for fans, it’s a (cheap) replacement for the student halls of residence used by Championship/L1 clubs, non?

Keeps players away from temptation, I suppose.

8 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Not sure it’s for fans, it’s a (cheap) replacement for the student halls of residence used by Championship/L1 clubs, non?

Keeps players away from temptation, I suppose.

Correct, no mention of fans, the tour companies will put fans wherever suits their trips. 

The club's press release definitely targets travelling fans - stay where your team stays and all that.

Makes sense. The hotel cuts the team a deal on 15 or so rooms in the expectation that at least a like number will be occupied by travelling supporters.

It's a big hotel - 400+ plus rooms - newly renovated, in a strip of like establishments just outside the airport proper. It's an expensive cab ride into the city but you could go back into the airport and catch the train downtown. Not a lot of local shopping as I recall but a nice-enough place.

3 minutes ago, TIWIT said:

The club's press release definitely targets travelling fans - stay where your team stays and all that.

Makes sense. The hotel cuts the team a deal on 15 or so rooms in the expectation that at least a like number will be occupied by travelling supporters.

It's a big hotel - 400+ plus rooms - newly renovated, in a strip of like establishments just outside the airport proper. It's an expensive cab ride into the city but you could go back into the airport and catch the train downtown. Not a lot of local shopping as I recall but a nice-enough place.

The official tours advertise 3,4 and 5 star hotels all downtown. 

Few will consider an airport Hotel when visiting a city like this. 

Just as I suspected. All the usuals are coming out to have another go at TWP for being 'cheap'.

None of this would be an issue at all if the other teams in SL weren't so damn cheap and paid their own way like is done in proper professional sports.

1 hour ago, TIWIT said:

Just as I suspected. All the usuals are coming out to have another go at TWP for being 'cheap'.

None of this would be an issue at all if the other teams in SL weren't so damn cheap and paid their own way like is done in proper professional sports.

Where are "all the usual suspects coming out to have a go at TWP for being cheap"? 

There is nothing on the twitter announcement, Mok mentions cheap here, and the only other person being offensive, is you. 

This is a perfect example of why some people are getting really fed up TIWIT. 

15 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

I’m not. You are. 

A ridiculous tackling technique if you even dare call it that. 

14 hours ago, Kayakman said:

If you were correct then a further penalty would have been imposed..it wasn't.

Look guy's different people will always have different interpretations for events such as these, for example on the previous evening Murdoch Masila was sinned bin because Alex Mellor slipped and his head came into the trajectory plane of Masila's already effected motion which was perfectly legal and could not be pull redirected at such short notice, I did not think it should have been even a red card, otgers will disagree.

But what I am eluding to is there is a panel who adjudicate on these sending off offences, we have to abide by their ruling we have no option, BUT another panel could view it very differently, and he could have recieved a ban, see different people different interpretations.

17 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

He wouldn't count as 0 on the cap as he would be a 'Returning Talent' player and therefore 50% of his cap value would count until he has completed his first full SC year, then 75% for year 2.

So please excuse the question Les, how would his "cap value" be arrived at, is there some formula that is applied to all player's? It seems very complicated why not just use the figure a player earns?

16 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

So please excuse the question Les, how would his "cap value" be arrived at, is there some formula that is applied to all player's? It seems very complicated why not just use the figure a player earns?

It's salary, plus benefits, plus some assumptions on appearance fees, bonuses etc. 

For a returning player it would just be 50% of this total. 

9 hours ago, TIWIT said:

That is simple buisness sense on behalf of the Airport, even if it is just the the teams alone excluding the fans and the clubs each take say 30 player's and staff for the scheduled 11 games that is 330 guests they are wanting/hoping to entice which they may not have done.

FWIW as a traveller, my experience of Airport Hotels is they are miles away from the 'Downtown City' therefore away from the attractions on offer, as a visiting fan I would never consider using a airport hotel, how far is the airport from the city, is it as I describe?

PS got further down the thread and saw K'man's input, guess my question has been answered, at last K'man we agree on something?

9 hours ago, SL17 said:

Thats good. Lots of flights being cancelled at present due to the COVID-19. Not sure how this will work out as it will get worse before getting better.

You have not to mention that subject on this platform, the moderator's don't think it is worth discussing.

Archived