The General 'Toronto Wolfpack' Discussion Thread

2 minutes ago, TIWIT said:

Alright, I will own up to being perhaps overly sensitive. And your own original comment was that you personally would prefer to stay closer to downtown. No problem. Your money, your choice.

But downtown costs more, and since TWP are paying the tab they ought to be thanked for finding such an compromise. Are they? Not that I can see.

Aye, I didn't make that downtown point, apart from this being a players arrangement as the fans will likely be downtown. 

All good, no hard feelings. 

Who do you want thanks from though? That's nowt to do with us!!! :kolobok_biggrin:

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Man of Kent said:

Quite, so staying 10-15 miles out of town is a cheap option ?

Less expensive. There is a difference.

6 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Of course. Less expensive then downtown, but more expensive than a teepee. It’s a cheap but acceptable option. 

No, it is not cheap,  its actually quite expensive..its nice and more accessible and convenient for the players/coaching staffs  both when flying in and flying out.  There are reasons why airports have hotels around them...for the Love of Mike! 

P.S. I'm pretty sure I'm probably the only one on here who has actually ever slept in a full tee pee and they are very nice indeed!

This Holiday Inn is actually pretty middle-of-the-road for the general area - there are perhaps 20 large hotels within a fifteen minute drive of Pearson International. Some are more expensive, some less so.

And I can remember when the only major hotel in the area was the Skyline, which was pretty much just a huge beer hall with some rooms attached.

2 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Pretty sure Fev did. They also used public transport to get in and out of the centre after the match - really good (and cheap) 24hr links.

Wolfpack players mostly used the King St tram to get to & from Lamport.

20190924_173405.jpg

19 minutes ago, TIWIT said:

This Holiday Inn is actually pretty middle-of-the-road for the general area - there are perhaps 20 large hotels within a fifteen minute drive of Pearson International. Some are more expensive, some less so.

And I can remember when the only major hotel in the area was the Skyline, which was pretty much just a huge beer hall with some rooms attached.

You are dating yourself Oldtimer.

1 hour ago, Kayakman said:

You are dating yourself Oldtimer.

Not old enough to be around when the airport used to be just called Malton. There was a huge aircraft manufacturing plant there (DeHaviland?). And the Constellation Hotel. No 427, just 27. But it was mostly just farmer's fields. 

6 minutes ago, clwydianrange said:

Let’s see where the players stay when the SL clubs have to pay for accommodation themselves.

They'll be SOL if they go looking for a teepee.

Just now, TIWIT said:

Not old enough to be around when the airport used to be just called Malton. There was a huge aircraft manufacturing plant there (DeHaviland?). And the Constellation Hotel. No 427, just 27. But it was mostly just farmer's fields. 

The Constellation...that architectural marvel!  Like something out of the Jetsons it was.

Just now, TIWIT said:

They'll be SOL if they go looking for a teepee.

There are worse places to sleep.  I love sleeping in tee pees...of all the places I have slept nothing was so wonderful as sleeping in a tee pee...unreal.

I'm being serious.

56 minutes ago, TheReaper said:

It always makes me laugh when people specify "farmers". What other kind of field would it be?

Landing field.

Mine field.

Potter's field.

Playing field.

Field of Dreams.

8 minutes ago, TIWIT said:

Landing field.

Mine field.

Potter's field.

Playing field.

Field of Dreams.

But would you assume any of those when unqualified? In the context you used, "it used to be just fields", I don't think anyone would assume otherwise. 

I grew up on a farm, so half razzing half actually curious. 

1 hour ago, TheReaper said:

But would you assume any of those when unqualified? In the context you used, "it used to be just fields", I don't think anyone would assume otherwise. 

Ever seen the movie "The Field"?

2 hours ago, TheReaper said:

I have no idea actually. It was all just empty land growing money. The only undeveloped land left around there now is the golf course.

Just to let everyone know the RFL book at least 1 of the teams and all their "grandees" into the Holiday Inn next door to Wembley stadium for the challenge cup final... some clubs choose to pick their own alternative venue, I can name you 2 that haven't. If its good enough for the cup final then its good enough for one team to be putting the rest up for free.

13 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Just to let everyone know the RFL book at least 1 of the teams and all their "grandees" into the Holiday Inn next door to Wembley stadium for the challenge cup final... some clubs choose to pick their own alternative venue, I can name you 2 that haven't. If its good enough for the cup final then its good enough for one team to be putting the rest up for free.

To be fair, I don't think there is a single example of anybody saying that Holiday Inn is not a good enough hotel. 

Whilst MoK has a valid point (they describe themselves as "comfortable and affordable") and there are only really two reasons to stay in airport hotels (convenient for unsociable hours flights and to reduce cost) - the point is unnecessary. It certainly doesn't need hammering home and describing as cheap.

Archived