The General 'Toronto Wolfpack' Discussion Thread

21 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

It sounds like you understand where I'm coming from so thank you for that and you are right, we should appreciate what Toronto are doing for our clubs when it comes to the paying of costs because it is a lot of money so thank you as well for that. I will admit, I'd never really considered the lack of thanks that has been offered. 

From my own personal point of view, I don't understand the criticism of the choice of hotel. I don't think it really matters that much and it will be better than the previous place no doubt. I made a comment about my preferred choice of hotel when I'm travelling but that was not a comment directly directed (is that good English?) at this topic. I also don't agree with the holding back of TV money. Toronto are a team in the super league which is being given money by sky to be shown on their channel and the theory is that money is supposed to be split equally so as I say, I don't see the reason to hold it back. It might have been a good idea to pay for the travel out of that money but obviously that isn't what's happened so it's an irrelavent point. 

On the flip side, I don't like people saying super leagues chairman don't want Toronto because that's just not true. No super league chairman has actually said those words and you have to remember, SL voted to allow Toronto into the league. If they didn't want then they wouldn't have admitted them. If SL chairmen have any concerns it is to do with the finances of their own teams. It was similar when catalans came in, a big concern in both situations is loss of revenue due to less away fans. I do find it great that Toronto are bringing some fans across and they are really happy, enthusiastic people. It is still a smaller number of people than British teams would bring though. I'm sure you understand why chairmen will have some concerns. 

People don't like it when Toronto say they want to be treated equally and then ask for salary cap dispensations and ask for their schedule to be worked out to suit them better. It is not the fault of other teams that Toronto have managed their salary cap badly and can't play in Canada for the first couple of months. While no one is blantently saying that other clubs are to blame it just feels sometimes that should someone offer a criticism of Toronto it is the first thing some people jump to. I'm not saying it is, I'm just saying it feels like that with a small group. 

Again, Toronto do deserve praise for accommodating the needs of other teams and they don't get enough thanks. I hope I've offered a relatively rounded view of my feelings towards Toronto. ?

Good stuff. Thank you.

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Kayakman said:

Ever seen the movie "The Field"?

On 20/02/2020 at 07:01, GUBRATS said:

You can't have an odd number of teams and play an odd number of games , work it out 

I haven't.

Did the film - This Sporting Life - ever reach the North American Shores??

18 minutes ago, fevtom said:

The double header at York will now be played at Bootham Crescent instead of the new ground. Bloody Toronto, can't even get York's ground built in time.

That’s a great shame. 

Rumours on Twitter that the stadium won’t be open until November even though, to all intents and purposes, it’s built. All very odd. 

2 hours ago, Mr Frisky said:

I haven't.

Did the film - This Sporting Life - ever reach the North American Shores??

Oh ya...I saw it 40 years ago on TV over here....pretty dark...just like 'The Field'.    

York City Knights regret to announce that the Betfred Super League & Championship double header on Sunday, March 22nd will no longer be played at the York Community Stadium, however, thanks to the support of Sky Sports and the cooperation of all the clubs involved, the event will now take place at Bootham Crescent.

The club have been informed via GLL that the builders, Buckingham Group, have failed to provide the information required for the test events to occur. Neither party are willing or able to provide new test event dates at this stage.

The event – that was initially scheduled for the Community Stadium when it was first announced in November last year – will feature the Super League fixture between Toronto Wolfpack and Wakefield Trinity (5.15pm KO), and forms part of a Mothering Sunday rugby league double header with the Knights also playing the Betfred Championship round 6 fixture against Featherstone Rovers on the same day (2.45pm KO).

Tickets for the double header are available online from the Knights HERE, as well as from Wakefield and Featherstone ticket offices.

Advance tickets are priced at just £17 for adults and £12 concessions, with Under 16s completely free as ever. That price includes both games, which represents fantastic value for two quality match ups.

1 hour ago, Man of Kent said:

That’s a great shame. 

Rumours on Twitter that the stadium won’t be open until November even though, to all intents and purposes, it’s built. All very odd. 

That is cos they concentrated most of the early build on the Multi Screen Cinema which is the back wall of the south stand.

The builders deserve an interview negative coffee.

12 minutes ago, Colin James said:

Is BC Super League standard? If not, why is this being allowed? If it is, then SL needs to up its standards.

Just looking at some pictures of BC - It doesn't look too bad, certainly doesn't look too different to Cas's stadium or Wakefields.

3 minutes ago, Click said:

Just looking at some pictures of BC - It doesn't look too bad, certainly doesn't look too different to Cas's stadium or Wakefields.

Yep, its better than both those grounds and is in a great location for the city as well.

27 minutes ago, Stirlin said:

That is cos they concentrated most of the early build on the Multi Screen Cinema which is the back wall of the south stand.

The builders deserve an interview negative coffee.

But it’s built, right? The press release refers to test events.

42 minutes ago, Colin James said:

Is BC Super League standard? If not, why is this being allowed? If it is, then SL needs to up its standards.

It was recently a football league ground and has hosted premier league teams in cup games so i’m sure it will be fine for Wakefield for one game.

It’s quite dated in parts but certainly no worse than some Super League grounds.

1 hour ago, Colin James said:

Wolfpack have played at BC twice already so will feel right at home , as others have said it is better than some SL grounds.

Toronto should be right at home in York

Toronto was founded as York. The large municipality North of the city proper is York Region. The York9 soccer club plays at York University.

On 21/02/2020 at 16:22, scotchy1 said:

What is happening with the shareholding is an absolute mystery. Currently either London are shareholders and SL are in breach of the articles of association which not only give them the rights to but the obligation to play in SL, 

Or London arent shareholders, SLE havent updated companies house and are in breach of the articles of association by keeping David Hughes as a director and not transferring that directorship to Toronto.

You’ll be pleased to know Bob Hunter has been appointed as a director of SLE, replacing David Hughes.

According to John Davidson (RL journo) on Twitter, Stanley isn’t registered to play because it would then put Toronto over the cap. They have to offload players before they can register him. You couldn’t make it up. Noble has a lot to answer for.

3 hours ago, Steven Grason said:

Asked before but not really had an answer. How are Toronto's home.away fixtures working this year. Last year nearly all away games were played first half of season and home games last half. This year?

The league and other clubs have been very understanding of the limits the natural climate places on Toronto, and have created a practical and accommodating schedule that does backload the home games, in order to maximize fan experience, ticket sales, and quality of rugby.

Oh, wait, that was MLR.

Archived