The General 'Toronto Wolfpack' Discussion Thread

2 hours ago, Marty Funkhouser said:

Seems like you wasted a whole load of breath and posts Scotchy...all on a false premise.

Fancy TW tuning out just as duplicitous as the rest of SL..

"Not a trace of doubt in my mind, I'm a believer..."

But if it wasn't a visa issue, why would you register Wheeler, who they've now got rid of, and not Stanley, who is one of their better players?? Strikes me there must be some truth in the visa story, otherwise it makes no sense

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, mrfranco said:

But if it wasn't a visa issue, why would you register Wheeler, who they've now got rid of, and not Stanley, who is one of their better players?? Strikes me there must be some truth in the visa story, otherwise it makes no sense

Maybe he originally had a visa issue and TWP. just stretched it out when it became obvious there was a problem with the salary cap. After all, TWP were naively hopeful of some salary cap dispensation that of course they never got.

11 minutes ago, TIWIT said:

Maybe he originally had a visa issue and TWP. just stretched it out when it became obvious there was a problem with the salary cap. After all, TWP were naively hopeful of some salary cap dispensation that of course they never got.

Yes, exactly, I think something along those lines is prob closest to the truth (hence also why we heard several times that "Chase is going to arrive this week"... and then he didn't)

1 hour ago, mrfranco said:

Simply because Stanley will be on a salary way in excess of Wheeler and they could only fit Wheeler's SCV in. It has been a monumental balls up from day 1. Lack of foresight, planning and anticipation on many peoples parts. Noble hinted at the approach in the Wolfpack documentary.

They are currently touting further players around clubs. More to come.

Some of them that has come in are Academy players from other clubs. They were needed to be able to announce 21 players,which by the way they did not last week,just naming 19.According to Brian McDermott players will have to released before they can register Gigot and hopefully another two who they want to sign.So,if you think it does not make sense then Brian McDermott must be wrong.

6 hours ago, TheReaper said:

Sure was nice of Rugby Canada to develop Quinn for TWP ? 

Good to see him back, he didn't look out of place playing for London Skolars a couple of years back. Are there many other people of NZ descent hanging round in Canada?

12 hours ago, SL17 said:

You guys could sell sand to the Arabs.

I believe the middle east is actually the biggest importer of sand. They use it in construction because theirs isn't as suitable. I'm not sure where I heard that fact from or if it's actually true but I'm probably never going to have an opportunity to use it.

Can I suggest a listen to the latest Howlin' Hour podcast.  It probably won't change people's minds as they will already be made up, but worth a go.  I think that there probably is a bit of naivety in there but a good discussion on the valid reasons why there aren't Canadian players yet.  And once again the big thing that comes across is the enthusiasm for the game.

• 2 months later...
2 minutes ago, Rhinoferg said:

Apparently Kallum Watkins, who left the NRL because of his sick father, has joined Toronto. How does this work then? He quit playing in Australia to be closer to family but has signed for the Canadians!

Th Canadians that are based in.......Rochdale 

42 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Sydney to Leeds = 10,400 miles.

Toronto  to Leeds = 3,400 miles

Therefore, he has moved closer to his family, I reckon.

Well, his family are based in Manchester, so I would go with Manchester to Rochdale = 14 miles ?

Interesting how he shapes up . No doubt he’d looked a shadow of himself in recent times . This year after a full preseason with the titans would have showed where he was , so he’ll be looking to get some return on that work with Toronto

24 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Interesting how he shapes up . No doubt he’d looked a shadow of himself in recent times . This year after a full preseason with the titans would have showed where he was , so he’ll be looking to get some return on that work with Toronto

He certainly looked a bit more switched-on and lively in the early rounds of this season.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 hours ago, Wigan Riversider said:

Was he ankle tapped when going for the line in World Cup final of 2017❓

Put a slight dampener on my 50th birthday. ?

Hope it works out for him at TWP,  if there is any rugby again?

Again???? 

36 minutes ago, Hullfan said:

Again???? 

Granted my last remark was tongue in cheek, but having read our national media informing us that rugby will be way down the list of sports to resume, I began to wonder. 

According to them: scrums can't go ahead due to players' saliva and perspiration ; ours is a full contact sport unlike any other; clubs will fold due to lack of matchday revenue; social distancing will need to be adhered to among spectators if there are any... 

I just began to wonder about the future. ?

Stay safe and well ?

1 hour ago, Wigan Riversider said:

Granted my last remark was tongue in cheek, but having read our national media informing us that rugby will be way down the list of sports to resume, I began to wonder. 

According to them: scrums can't go ahead due to players' saliva and perspiration ; ours is a full contact sport unlike any other; clubs will fold due to lack of matchday revenue; social distancing will need to be adhered to among spectators if there are any... 

I just began to wonder about the future. ?

Stay safe and well ?

I'm sure our sport is a bit like another sport I can think of

Archived