The General 'Toronto Wolfpack' Discussion Thread

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Cameron Highlander said:

John Drake and/or CKN.  Gents, may I ever so humbly request that you transfer/merge this new thread into the "all-encompassing" Toronto Wolfpack thread that you created ~6 or 7 months ago.  Thanks in advance.

Why, is there a plethora of other RL news that this is getting in the way of?

20 hours ago, The Rocket said:

I don`t think this Argyle character is going to satisfied until he has the Super League trophy, Challenge Cup trophy and  probably just as importantly  if not more so a World Club Challenge trophy in the Wolfpacks clubhouse.This guy wants to build a Rugby League powerhouse that can match it and beat teams like we saw on t.v. tonight. You Pommies should embrace  it and develop your clubs to make it as much a challenge for him as possible  , nothing but good  can come out of it .

Be careful.  You’ll be getting a visit from the Leigh massive with comments like that.

17 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Be careful.  You’ll be getting a visit from the Leigh massive with comments like that.

i would never want to disrespect any of the  foundation clubs or their supporters or the memory of all the people who played our great game . I`m just a ring-in from OZ   who thinks that League  could have a great future . If I can make  the WC next year high on my  list will be the RL museum. Can`t wait to visit towns like Wigan, Hull ,St Helens et. al.

2 hours ago, The Rocket said:

Can`t wait to visit towns like Wigan, Hull ,St Helens et. al.

While I love your enthusiasm, you must be the first person in history to be excited about going to any of those three places!

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

While I love your enthusiasm, you must be the first person in history to be excited about going to any of those three places!

I saw  Wigan on ` Dalziel and  Pascoe` , Dalziel standing at the bar ,  old League photos on the wall , beer in hand  telling Pascoe about `the year that Wigan won the Cup`.

On 02/07/2020 at 22:27, Tommygilf said:

https://twitter.com/leagueexpress/status/1278666229373419521?s=19

Build those transatlantic/commonwealth links guys

Somehow the Wolfpack need to start developing juniors from Canada and as we all know it takes many years of hard work to do this, but somehow how they need to start junior leagues (If they haven't already)

2 hours ago, The Future is League said:

Somehow the Wolfpack need to start developing juniors from Canada and as we all know it takes many years of hard work to do this, but somehow how they need to start junior leagues (If they haven't already)

I think that success will be their number one priority and with that profile, if you can start getting Dads and Mums to the games with the kids you will be much more likely to be getting them taking the kids down on registration day .Thats what I did with my son , I didn`t ask him, just signed him up and away he went. It will a huge bonus for them to being able to have derby`s with  Wolfpack and maybe even New York. I`ve heard that Wolfpack make it a really good day out as well , thats a great incentive for people to go.

2 hours ago, DoubleD said:

Great initiative by the Wolfpack, which should generate commercial benefits along the way

Yes,  it is the sort of professionalism that will open up doors for RL, economic growth opportunities are hard to find in todays low growth world economy. Sport is a legitimate large scale industry and any Gov`t would be foolish not to see RL`s growth and wealth generating potential. Rugby WC generates a motza for host countries no reason that League can`t be doing the same in 20yrs.

14 hours ago, Eddie said:

When I last visited England we were traveling from the north to the south and I saw a street sign for Wigan. I asked my partner (she’s English) if we could take a detour so I could see the town.

She was like “ Why would anyone want to visit there?” and drove straight past the turn-off .

43 minutes ago, Copa said:

When I last visited England we were traveling from the north to the south and I saw a street sign for Wigan. I asked my partner (she’s English) if we could take a detour so I could see the town.

She was like “ Why would anyone want to visit there?” and drove straight past the turn-off .

And you’re still together? 

10 hours ago, The Rocket said:

I think that success will be their number one priority and with that profile, if you can start getting Dads and Mums to the games with the kids you will be much more likely to be getting them taking the kids down on registration day .Thats what I did with my son , I didn`t ask him, just signed him up and away he went. It will a huge bonus for them to being able to have derby`s with  Wolfpack and maybe even New York. I`ve heard that Wolfpack make it a really good day out as well , thats a great incentive for people to go.

Bingo! Everyone loves a winner, kids like to be associated with success, one reason why the Raptors are so loved. Not sure about any New York derby coming anytime soon, I’m still sceptical that NY will even get off the ground.

37 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

No, but some consider it boring that everytime somebody at the Wolfpack goes to the toilet so to speak it has to be highlighted.

Is this good old fashioned English potty humour ?

11 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

I could use the adage "There is no such thing as bad news" when it comes to talk about the wolfpack, but as long as everything is positive i don't care how many stories are posted about them. It keeps them in the news

As Oscar Wilde famously said "there`s only one thing worse than being talked about  and that`s NOT being talked about"

On 02/07/2020 at 13:45, The Rocket said:

I don`t think this Argyle character is going to satisfied until he has the Super League trophy, Challenge Cup trophy and  probably just as importantly  if not more so a World Club Challenge trophy in the Wolfpacks clubhouse.This guy wants to build a Rugby League powerhouse that can match it and beat teams like we saw on t.v. tonight. You Pommies should embrace  it and develop your clubs to make it as much a challenge for him as possible  , nothing but good  can come out of it .

I don't think anyone on this forum has ever discussed this properly before. Will be good to get what people think about it in response to your comment Rocket

27 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I don't think anyone on this forum has ever discussed this properly before. Will be good to get what people think about it in response to your comment Rocket

As I said I expect David Argyle will want to build a champion team  to compete with the best  , but the man isn`t stupid  ,at some point he will know if he is going to have a team that he can market in North America (I include Canada here as well of course) he is going to have to have North Americans in the team and ideally have North American opposition. One potential issue I see could be salary cap issues , money isn`t an issue for these  sporting team owners over there (he`s spending 10 000 000 dollars on Sonny Bill for goodness sake ,expect some sort of  "Last Dance " style documentary on SBW in the next few years. ) , this is my only concern , mega Nth American  clubs stealing all our players , but in the meantime , bring it on, Rugby League is the sort of confrontational sport that players rise to the occasion of these events and we all know what a spectacle RL can be when two great teams are going full bore at each other.

4 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

No, but some consider it boring that everytime somebody at the Wolfpack goes to the toilet so to speak it has to be highlighted.

There's a thread about boot colours, too, people just be bored 🤣 I personally think it's just jealousy. Everyone is free to post up if their club does something noteworthy. 

2 hours ago, The Rocket said:

As I said I expect David Argyle will want to build a champion team  to compete with the best  , but the man isn`t stupid  ,at some point he will know if he is going to have a team that he can market in North America (I include Canada here as well of course) he is going to have to have North Americans in the team and ideally have North American opposition. 

North American opposition, yes. But it's been proven by pretty much every non-hockey big-league sport here that nobody cares where the players come from. Raptors have none, Jays have one technically but he's essentially Dominican,  TFC is required to have 3 and they rarely go above the minimum. The most Canadian team* in Toronto is the Argos and they're there least well supported.

*of the relatively major sports. The actual most Canadian is the Rock, followed by the Arrows.

2 hours ago, TheReaper said:

North American opposition, yes. But it's been proven by pretty much every non-hockey big-league sport here that nobody cares where the players come from

And therein we have the answer why TWP are not intrested in the sport actually expanding with local participation, why go to all that trouble of growing your own just let others get on with it, what a totally selfish insular attitude.

2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

And therein we have the answer why TWP are not intrested in the sport actually expanding with local participation, why go to all that trouble of growing your own just let others get on with it, what a totally selfish insular attitude.

Insular? By welcoming players from all over the world to our cities and teams? Good one.

Look, every player for Leigh or Wigan or anywhere else, isn't from that town either. So what's the difference? 

Archived